New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Intel i7 2670QM not campatible with Rift?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me, i'm interested in the Rift using my HP Pavilion Dv7 laptop, it's 3 or 4 years old but when I bought it I went for the i7 for future things like this. I ran the compatibility tool and everything checks out but my processor and graphics card. Now obviously I know i'll have to upgrade the graphics card, but when the minimum spces say an i3 will work, why would a quad core i7 not work? I've read that the compat. check tool isn't always accurate so I was just wondering if anyone with more processor knowledge than me might know if it'll run good on it.

Thanks!

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2
    The i5, i3, i7 doesn't mean much on it's own, an i3 can have far better performance than an i7, based on the date of when they were made (generation number)

For example, yours is a LEGACY CPU from 2011 and runs at 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost (but I doubt that can be maintained for long on an old laptop's thermals)

The minimum i3-6100 is from 2015 and runs at 3.70 GHz, sustained. 

Unfortunately, your almost 8-year-old processor is not fast enough.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
     If you are looking for assurances that Oculus will work. Looking at that CPU https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM/Rating/1982#Benchmarks  Doesn't seem to have been a stellar choice for gaming in general. I think it's pretty safe to assure you, Oculus will not run well on that at all.  
  • ExtremeBrewer7392ExtremeBrewer7392 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    ok, I didn't understand the generation differences, thanks everyone