cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unless the BLOCK on old PCs is not removed there will be legal trouble for Oculus.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Due to the Update 1.32 old PCs seen as non-compatible are being BLOCKED even if they were working 100% via the OculusSetupSSEBypass or other cpu registry hack.
No Oculus public announcement and 1000s of User's hours spent alone and with Support and getting told "we need a new PC!" and yet ONLY Lone Echo uses the SSE4.2 commands and the installer uses it as a check or we fail installation.
This stinks! We bought Rifts based upon they worked until 1.3 added the SSE4,2 check BUT they continued to work with hacks and we continued to buy GAMES/APPS as valued customers!
Now they just want rid of old PCs and FORCE us to buy new tech!!
Regardless of their Terms & Conditions you simply DO NOT discriminate in this world.
If this must go to a court they will indeed get more trouble than they it's worth to simply switch off a customers use in an instant!!!

Consider us as leaving until you revert this ASAP and possibly for life.

29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Re https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71083/cant-install-software-exiting-with-code-18/p1

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Eventually Microsoft will stop supporting win7 and many apps may not work then.   So what are you going to do, sue everyone in a class action suit?  If you think you have a case it is pretty easy to contact any legal firm and ask them to undertake this.  Some will do this on a no cost/ no win but will charge accordingly if a verdict is actually achieved.

Imho you are best to move with the times and update your PC to at least recommended specs, not minimum specs, if you want to partake in current VR developments.  
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ohgrant
Superstar
I think Mac-Man has Win 10 and was having difficulty with UAC blocking the install? I really don't think that's what's going on. Have you tried to disable UAC https://articulate.com/support/article/how-to-turn-user-account-control-on-or-off-in-windows-10
 I have Win 7 so neither my OS or my CPU has Oculus's blessing. I'm on 1.32 and working well.
 I personally think it's bad medicine to officially support only one OS. Unprecedented for someone whos competition has now become MS. Vive supports Win7-10. If the goal is to get as many as possible in Oculus. Limiting your customers to Win 10 is a funny way to go about it. I'd much prefer to see Oculus go in a direction that has little to do with MS and their abortions.
But that has nothing to do with Mac-Man's issue IMO so I digress.  
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If your PC doesn't meet the minimum specs you haven't got a hope in hell of winning a court case. Your case will get laughed out of court. Those minimum and recommended specs are there for a reason.

vannagirl
Consultant
For the cost of a lawyers retainer you would of bought the upgrades needed, by the time you get to court (if ever) bought them many times over

Appreciate your frustration but you will always end up playing by a companys rules if you wish to use their products
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

MAC_MAN86 said:
This stinks! We bought Rifts based upon they worked until 1.3 added the SSE4,2 check BUT they continued to work with hacks and we continued to buy GAMES/APPS as valued customers!
Now they just want rid of old PCs and FORCE us to buy new tech!!
Regardless of their Terms & Conditions you simply DO NOT discriminate in this world.
If this must go to a court they will indeed get more trouble than they it's worth to simply switch off a customers use in an instant!!!

Consider us as leaving until you revert this ASAP and possibly for life.

Even if it worked with hacks before, you’ve always known that you are outside of the specified hardware requirements, and thus there were no guarantees that it would continue to work. 

I ran for years with an outdated Core2Quad CPU, because it continued to work, until it didn’t. I first experienced the SSE4.2 issue when I tried to set up the DK2. They revised the software and removed the check back then, but I knew I was on borrowed time and started planning a new VR rig. 

Your old Xeon CPU may be great for your other purposes, but perhaps it’s time to think about a VR system using more typical current PC gaming hardware. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

There seems to be 4 issues here if I've read all the related posts correctly:

The first is that there is a hardware requirement for the Rift that is quite high compared with most hardware you buy for a computer, which is understandable.

The second is that the new Oculus updates appear to prevent hardware not meeting the requirement to run the Oculus software rather than previous versions just giving a warning.

The third seems to be that Rift owners can no longer side-load older versions of pre-saved Oculus software to get around the issue.

And the forth seems to be that unsupported OS now includes Windows 7 and that also now prohibits Oculus install.

I can totally understand the Rift and any other VR headset needing a PC in the top 10% to run it adequately (I'm guessing at the percentage) and I can understand Oculus not wanting unsupported older versions of their software being installed.

I have a lot of sympathy though for people who were using a work around and now can't and personally I think Windows 7 should either still be supported or users should be able to run versions of Oculus that allow it to run on Windows 7. Just with the proviso that those users no longer get support if there is a problem. That seems reasonable to me.

It may be that Oculus have been receiving a lot of support tickets from people who have PCs that never met minimum specs and have thought ok enough, we're going to now prevent those PCs from running the software, in other words telling the user that they've been getting support for below spec machines but really shouldn't have been. And they maybe think this will help reduce the problems.

It probably will have the opposite effect on the number of support tickets though, so Oculus may backtrack.

Anyway, bottom line is I suppose I'm saying I'd advise on upgrading whatever needs to be upgraded (hardware or OS)but I totally sympathise with anyone who has this issue. And I'd advise anyone with this issue to open a ticket regardless.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
84ekwlvkly1x.jpg

And he bought a new PC
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's hacks that got Apollo back to Earth so let's have the greatest respect.
It isn't a UAC issue as discovered in the thread posted in 2nd post.
There is no valid reason for this discrimination based upon our systems ran as well as an i5/i7 for some chips.
They use a "RECOMMENDED COMPATIBILITY LIST" & that list is only on recommendation.
Now they simply added a BLOCK to anything not on that list so now what? Is that their way of not be bothered to remove the "Warning - your system does not meet the RECOMMENDED requirements and may not get the best performance"???
Seriously - this is unforgivable to discriminate and FORCE us to simply buy new due to this!
e.g. your Trainers are now out of fashion as they now feature 2 stripes not 1 - Please throw them away and BUY NEW!!!
If no way to get access into Home then no way to access the games we own (our property) to even use them on other Headsets.
It's principle here folks - do you want your new i7s to get BLOCKED just because we now have the daft i9 coming out??? That is a mafia trading style!

I am happy to upgrade in my own time if I find a suitable PC to do so but no need to throw away what works well by FORCE without notice nor our consent akin to rape! I do not expect SUPPORT as in if my machine has issues different than they can help Recommended PCs if any but Support is not the same as "HEY - WE BLOCKED YA!"
We can setup a Facebook Group and arrange this legal action together.