New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Faulty pixel, again... - How to take a proper pic??

AU-UserAU-User Posts: 19
NerveGear
I now have my second GO with a faulty pixel.
The first was basically a total loss due to the warranty restrictions Oculus has.
After using the second GO now for about a week I first though there is some dust on the lenses.
Could only see a faint pixel fault in certain conditions.
Like on a fully black background the pixel would appear blue-greenish and is quite faint.
In other colors it is not always visible, depends on what RGB value is in use.
But now that I noticed where it is this pixel is really annoying me, mostly when watching a movie or having dark scenes in some VR experiences.

The first time around I had a fully dead pixel right in the center of the right display.
Now I have a pixel with just a faint problem in most colors and only better visible on full black.
Still no cam I have is able to get this pixel to show up.
After about 50 pictures with my DSL the best I got was the flysreen visible but the pixel itself only visible in the image after enhancing the colors and playing with the contrast and brightness.
My DSLR has 8mp my phone 12 but it totally fails to get any clear fous other than on the lenses.
So how doesone take a usuable pic for a really problematic pixel that can be use for the warranty claim?
I somehow doubt a picture that went through a lot of post processing won't be accepted here.
And what are my chances to get this sorted before xmas?
The thing was actually meant as a present and I wanted to make it a bit more complete by installing some of the experiences and apps.

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    Did you buy direct from Oculus or a 3rd party seller ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • AU-UserAU-User Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    This time I got and did all through the official Oculus channels.
    Already know the procedures required from last time, that is why I struggle with this picture I need from the pixel :(
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 481
    Trinity
    Well like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one imho.  There are no lcd/oled screens out there right now without at least one missing pixel.  Up to you but I would just ignore these, esp. if they are not in the centre.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • AU-UserAU-User Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Well like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one imho.  There are no lcd/oled screens out there right now without at least one missing pixel.  Up to you but I would just ignore these, esp. if they are not in the centre.
    Hmmm....
    None of my three TV's have faulty pixels.
    None of my four tablets have faulty pixels.
    None of my three phones have faulty pixels.
    And so far none of my previous devices using a screen had faulty pixels either.
    But I order a GO and have faulty pixels.
    I order another one and  have the problem again, just in a different spot.

If you have a TV and you can see a dead or faulty pixel everytime you have the right color in that area - would you like it??
    I am sorry but faulty pixels in a panel are these days called b-ware.
    The display is the main component to allow you to enjoy a GO and IMHO it has to be in a perfect condition to fulfill this purpose.

As said, I wanted some possible options to take a picture of the pixel, not how to ignore the problem on a brand new device.
    No offence!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 481
    Trinity
    No offense taken and I hope you manage to get this sorted out ok.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • cantennacantenna Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited December 9
    AU-User said:
    I now have my second GO with a faulty pixel.

Had this problem too, difficulty capturing picture. Try turning the unit upside down and taking the picture, sometime approaching from a different angle works. Also, take multiple pictures then go back and review on your pc, you probably got a pic but won't notice on your phone.

I tell everyone and their Grandma, always buy direct from the Oculus website! I had issues with dead pixels too  but Oculus did come through for me in the end!

These days, screens and dead pixels/defects; that's the reality and it plagues all manufacturers I have dealt with including Microsoft, Samsung and Sony. I've had first hand experience with them all with regards to this issue. Oculus has by far been the best overall customer experience in terms of resolution of screen defects...

All you have to do is make sure you have a valid warranty and ride it out with them and try to be patient with Oculus, they will sort it out for you.