New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

HDMI Issue with OCULUS RIFT and Acer Nitro 5 laptop

I have read several threads with no luck, contacted support, and am still having the same issue two laptops in.  I have an ACER Nitro 5 with a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX/OCULUS ready laptop.  I have disabled USB power on ports, updated windows drivers, NVidia drivers, installed and re-installed OCULUS software 6 times now.  Still when I go to run the setup everything is working EXCEPT the HDMI.  Tech support really needs a help desk line for folks to contact, I am not sure how one can sell and support high end technology with no phone support (a pet peeve).  I am returning the OCULUS to Best Buy, going to get another set and try before we buy Vive and hope that solves everything.  I have not seen any real articles to address this sort of issue.  Lots of good information, but right now my conclusion is the HDMI cable is the bad part right from the factory.  It appears to be DOA... If I discover something else I will post, but I don't think setting up VR should be this complicated.....

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,015 Volunteer Moderator
    Out of interest, is that the one with a GTX1050 in it mate ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    edited December 5
    I'm asking because support should of said that for laptops a 1050TI is min spec and a 1050 for desktop.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • StrappedsquashStrappedsquash Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 5
    Yes that is the one.  I just noticed that the onboard HDMI in the laptop will not output to another monitor/TV etc.  So I am not sure that is the issue with the OCULUS I am seeing now.
    The 1050 won't do it mate......it needs a 1050TI or higher :(
  • StrappedsquashStrappedsquash Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited December 5
    The laptop says right on the front OCULUS ready.  Hard to believe it would not work.  Here is the statement from tech support earlier today with the model--NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Laptop)
    The same laptop here in the UK doesn't say Oculus ready mate. Are they saying 1080 ???
    edited December 5
    Here is the spec list, check the minimum = https://support.oculus.com/1773584749575567/
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 370
    Trinity
    Hey there,
    I own a GTX 1050 and it does work with VR. Its being under recommended specs does not mean it won't work, so stop the misinformation please ^^'.

The issue is not the card. You said the HDMI port doesn't output anything? Even with a cheap monitor? So the issue clearly comes from the computer.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    How many peeps have success with a laptop and a 1050 ? No misinformation given, thanks.