New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

My Oculus looks "grainy" and not quite sharp

SupremeMKSupremeMK Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hello there!
I got my Oculus yesterday and everything is just as I expected it to be, fun, engaging and motion-sickness inducing! (which is not that big of a deal)
Thing is, while playing some games (Robo Recall and VRChat for example) I notice there is a "grainy film" effect on what looks like my lenses, it looks like a grey alpha image and when looking at a table or wall, or even in black loading screens, this is very noticeable, just a layer of grainy looking image that really makes my eyes hurt and my head roll. Not only that, text seems... wonky? I expected the text and everything else to be somewhat blurry because of the way current VR works, but I think my problem is not really related to that, you see, text seems to be displayed with a little bit of chromatic aberration and "starburst-like" effect, in the IPD text or in any text for that matter, every letter is displayed with the white font but underneath and around it there is this green-red outline that is VERY noticeable, and also looks like the letters have this starburst-kind of effect where it just bleeds out, like little streaks of white come out of it.

Did my Oculus's lenses came damaged or is there something else I should look at? I've tried super-sampling and I have adjusted the HMD countless times around my head but neither of 2 problems go away. Can I do something about it?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 366
    Trinity
    Hey there,
    Welcome to VR ^^. Sadly, what you're describing is called the ScreenDoor Effect (SDE). This is due to the relatively low resolution. That's something you can experience even in other monitors: get as close as possible to any screen, you'll notice the same effect.

As for the chromatic aberration, I would rather say it's a wrong IPD setup. Change the lenses position.

Hopefully you'll get used to the low res! Don't worry, the headsets quickly evolve and soon we will barely have any SDE (the Samsung Odyssey+ has apparently almost gotten rid of it).
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • SupremeMKSupremeMK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey there,
    Welcome to VR ^^. Sadly, what you're describing is called the ScreenDoor Effect (SDE). This is due to the relatively low resolution. That's something you can experience even in other monitors: get as close as possible to any screen, you'll notice the same effect.

As for the chromatic aberration, I would rather say it's a wrong IPD setup. Change the lenses position.

Hopefully you'll get used to the low res! Don't worry, the headsets quickly evolve and soon we will barely have any SDE (the Samsung Odyssey+ has apparently almost gotten rid of it).
    Hey there.

I've noticed that changing around my IPD doesn't do much, the text still has starburst or "bleeding" like effect like if there was a smudge or blur and it's displaying like that, cleaned my lenses with the little pad oculus provides but nothing much changes, is there anything I can try?

Thanks for the welcoming!
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    Hi SupremeMK

As already stated, what you are experiencing is the limitations of present generation VR. There is nothing wrong with your Rift, the light bleed/starburst effect is due to the Fresnel lenses that allow you to see VR the way it is. What you see is called 'God rays', unfortunately nothing can be done about this with this generation. Maybe the next gen will be better. It takes a bit of time to get use to it, but that's about it. It also took me a while to get use to it, and I was use to 4k gaming which is so clear and perfect. For me, it was like stepping back into 80's-90's graphics, but the immersion is so much more worth it.

Hope you can enjoy!!
  • SupremeMKSupremeMK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi SupremeMK

As already stated, what you are experiencing is the limitations of present generation VR. There is nothing wrong with your Rift, the light bleed/starburst effect is due to the Fresnel lenses that allow you to see VR the way it is. What you see is called 'God rays', unfortunately nothing can be done about this with this generation. Maybe the next gen will be better. It takes a bit of time to get use to it, but that's about it. It also took me a while to get use to it, and I was use to 4k gaming which is so clear and perfect. For me, it was like stepping back into 80's-90's graphics, but the immersion is so much more worth it.

Hope you can enjoy!!
    I guess I had my expectations way too high for VR. Coming down from a crystal clear 4k monitor it really is a HUGE difference and it certainly made me somewhat dissapointed. I guess I'll have to get used to it, as well as the motion sickness.

Thanks for your input!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 471
    Trinity
    @SupremeMK ; One of the 'odd' things that happens (by other comments as well as personal experience) is that the lack of resolution is very noticiable (I also use 4k flat) initially but 'disappears' as immersion into e.g. a game increases as one's involvement with the content lessens the difference.
    Let's hope the same 'oddness' happens for you too :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    If you still notice a greyish veil in dark areas you may want to try disabling Spud.  I did this ~5 months ago and it really cleared up my xp11 night flying.  Just google ‘ disable spud oculus rift ‘ and this will lead you to a Reddit thread that explains how to do this.  Easy to do and easy to re-enable later if you don’t find it helps.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!