cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR unattainable?

ECMO01
Honored Guest
I recently had the opportunity to test fly the Rift in a flight simulator and was really impressed by the immersive experience. I was also impressed by the quality of the hardware and software interface for the Rift. Unfortunately, I had to return the headset because my IPD is freakishly large. My quick self measurement in the mirror looks like 77 mm. The maximum IPD for the Rift looks to be ~70 mm. So, back it went. I was really disappointed, but still very impressed with the Oculus experience. I would pay twice the asking price for a headset that actually fit my eyes. I've searched the market and as far as I can tell there is no consumer headset available that will accommodate my physiology. I understand that there are practical engineering and marketing limitations on what is practical from a manufacturing standpoint. But, if Oculus could sell a kit at an additional cost to the user that could modify the available headset, more consumers could be reached at a minimal cost to the manufacturing process. As things are, I and others like me will be unable to participate in the emerging VR world. 
1 REPLY 1

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
You do know that you can push the lenses slightly further apart than the 70mm? (In fact my Rift goes to 71mm as it is).

I know people have done that to extend the Rift's IPD setting - but I don't know what they have been able to achieve in terms of figures. If you're lucky, one of them might see your post (or you could search for their discussion on it).

Edit: I found it - looks like they got it up to 74mm:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/66127/rift-gamer-with-ipd-74mm

(scroll down a bit to ignacj post)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2