New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Subnautica free from Dec 14 - Dec 27 2018 on new Epic Games Store

PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 185
Art3mis
If anyone still hasn't picked up Subnautica yet, you will be able to get it free at the new Epic Games store soon. Epic games is launching a new store in competition to Steam and others. They will be giving away a free game every 2 weeks from Dec 2018 through 2019. Hey, if it's free...why not!!!

i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803

Comments

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 404
    Trinity
    Say whaaaat? They're giving games away? But... what's the catch?

I don't understand, but thank you for this information! I always wanted to try Subnautica, especially since I heard it could be played in VR (I don't know how yet, though).
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,163
    Project 2501
    The catch is simply getting you to sign up with them. That's enough for them for obvious reasons.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    Yes, since they are just starting up, they are giving stuff away to get people interested. Signing up is free...they are banking on people preferring Devs making more money from their store over others.

Subnautica is a great experience in VR (but still flawed). I'm hoping the new free version will give a bit of performance gain over the Steam VR version...but I'm not holding my breath.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,488
    Project 2501
    if playing in VR....be sure to have a bucket nearby.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    I've never had a problem with Subnautica and nausea in VR, actually if it wasn't for those menus the devs placed 1" from my nose in VR and the extremely cumbersome Touch implementation, Subnautica could easily be in my top 10 of best ever Rift games. The content in Subnautica is simply amazing and there's tons of it. My 10 year old son plays Subnautica in VR without any problems too 

But back to Epic Games Store, I just noticed this, and it really pushed my craving for pancakes :blush:

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Project 2501
    edited December 2018
    Makes me sick - but not too much during gameplay. Just feel uncomfy after a few minutes, but I can keep playing without too much trouble. When I take the headset off, though, keep outside a 10 ft radius! :s

I see Unreal Tournament is free, too, in EA. Another fave of mine from olde. I have the original UT installed on my PC and go to it for quick blasting fun regularly.
    Amazingly, the original Unreal also installs (from DVD) and works flawlessly on Win 10 as well.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,103 Valuable Player
    I reinstalled Unreal and the expansion a while back... along with the various Unreal Tournaments. The engine was so smooth compared with others of the time, really made the games that much more enjoyable. The exception seemed to be Unreal 2 which was quite demanding on the graphics card... but still a fun game though, there's a lot of old stuff worthy of a replay!
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    Project 2501
    Brixmis said:
    Makes me sick - but not too much during gameplay. Just feel uncomfy after a few minutes, but I can keep playing without too much trouble. When I take the headset off, though, keep outside a 10 ft radius! :s

I see Unreal Tournament is free, too, in EA. Another fave of mine from olde. I have the original UT installed on my PC and go to it for quick blasting fun regularly.
    Amazingly, the original Unreal also installs (from DVD) and works flawlessly on Win 10 as well.
    I loved UT2003!!!!  Loved playing online with the CHAOS weapon packs and sneaking up  to the enemies base in VCTF and releasing the POWER OF THE VORTEX GUN *just* when the enemy is about to score.  So gratifying......
    Trinity
    The catch is simply getting you to sign up with them.

Yeah, that's not really what I call a catch... Signing up is free, there isn't any type of engagement, nothing prevents us from just taking the games they offer for free, without giving them any money. It just doesn't sound like a very good market plan.
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,103 Valuable Player

I signed up a couple years ago for the Unreal Engine to learn and hopefully get my pet project into VR (I'm still creating the assets in 3ds max).

Anyway, the games portal is the same as the portal I've been using.... so as well as games, you have the incentive of downloading the Unreal Engine and develop your own games. Lets get developing.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    Free is free, worth just signing up to grab it.
    Art3mis
    Just downloaded and installed the Epic games free version. Run the same as the Steam version and is essentially the same. It will automatically detect the Rift and start there.

I was able to setup the Touch controls in the settings for controls.

- You have to use the 'A' button to select the control you want to modify (turns brown).
    - It's very sensitive, so make sure you don't move the Touch controls while you are selecting or the movement will become the selection.
    - once brown press the button you want to use or move the joystick, it will show in the brown area.
    - You can use the 'Automatic' controller to setup your controls.
    - the thumb rest area's of each Touch controller is also programmable
    - The middle finger buttons on the Touch are not presently assignable

Enjoy your free game!!!

Trinity
    edited December 2018
    Wait, VR automatically works with Subnautica? Well, time to buy  get this game for free.

EDIT: Ok, that game looks so cool! It's a shame the controls aren't really appropriate for VR. I wish they would do like Minecraft and implement the hands.
    For the rest, it looks sick!

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

Art3mis
    Yes, Subnautica in VR isn't designed for proper VR controls. It's originally designed for K+M and Xbox style controllers, so the VR play will be lacking in the control dept. Visually, is where Subnautica shines, if ones system can deliver proper fps.

Until games are designed with full VR in mind and Devs fully embrace VR in their development, we all are going to always be wanting more from the control side of things.
    Trinity
    I've got to say, the visuals and sounds are indeed absolutely great. Diving in the sea for the first time was fascinating. I can't wait to get a submarine and be able to go deeper!

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 532
    Neo
    Yes, Subnautica in VR isn't designed for proper VR controls. It's originally designed for K+M and Xbox style controllers, so the VR play will be lacking in the control dept. Visually, is where Subnautica shines, if ones system can deliver proper fps.

Until games are designed with full VR in mind and Devs fully embrace VR in their development, we all are going to always be wanting more from the control side of things.
    Can you use an x-box controller in VR with Subnautica?  Thanks.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    Project 2501
    Yes. In fact it’s RECOMMENDED. The Touch controller settings are awful to say the least. 
    Art3mis
    TomCgcmfc said:

Can you use an x-box controller in VR with Subnautica?  Thanks.

Yes, the Xbox controller automatically works with preset settings. You just need to make sure it is turned on (if wireless) or plugged in.
    Neo
    edited December 2018
    Thanks guys.  I registered with Epic Games and downloaded Subnautica.  Started off by making sure my X-box controller was bound, then started up Oculus Home, then used the Desktop shortcut to start the game.  All seems to work very well with my Xbox wireless controller and I have not even bothered to try it with my touch controllers yet.

I found it kinda interesting that Epic Games did not even ask me to register a payment method like Steam and Oculus do.

Now I just gotta find a good YT tutorial cause right now I don't really know what I'm doing except running out of O2, lol!

Edit;  Also, is there a way to play this flatscreen with this version?  Thanks.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    Art3mis
    TomCgcmfc said:

put this into your launcher, though with the Epic version, I'm not sure if there is one. Steam has a special launcher.

-vrmode none
    Neo
    TomCgcmfc said:

put this into your launcher, though with the Epic version, I'm not sure if there is one. Steam has a special launcher.

-vrmode none
    Ya, I finally found out you need to open the Epic Game launcher, go to settings, manage subnautica, select enter command prompt, then add in the box -vrmode none

Then you need to launch it from the Epic Game Launcher and then it seems to startup in non-vr mode ok.  If you try to launch it from your PC desktop it seems to want to open Oculus home.

I def need some more help with non-vr mode since I don't seem to be able to put out the fire in the capsule with the extinguisher fast enough and end up getting burnt alive, lol!

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,206 Power Poster
    I made this in VR. Since then they added a lot of new bits and bobs.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Project 2501
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, Subnautica is a good game - but the reason it was made for XBone pad and not Touch is because as it was nearing release date, Touch was still a long way off - so they used what they had and what Oculus offered. I'm guessing it was then too much hassle to put virtual arms etc in. We never had even proper pad emulation with Touch - it's always been very iffy.

I play pancake, though, as it makes me too sick in VR - not so much whilst playing but after.