New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Does CV1 require more resources than DK2?

abrahadabrahad Posts: 4
NerveGear
I use a DK2 headset successfully with FlyInsideFSX flight simulator (despite warnings that hardware is inadequate). I am considering upgrading to a CV1 but don't want to find that my PC setup won't support it.  I know my setup is below minimum specs theoretically but it works fine with the DK2.  Is there any reason it won't work as well with the CV1?

Best Answer

Answers

• abrahadabrahad Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Sounds as though I might be ok with a new graphics card.  My PC does have USB 3.0. Other specs are:
    i5 cpu
    8 GB ram
    Radeon 7900 graphics
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,514 Valuable Player
    Check it has compatible usb 3 though .....
    Run the app linked on this page and it will give you an idea

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/kotaku.com/a-useful-tool-checks-if-your-pc-is-ready-for-oculus-rif-1751656292/amp

Some usb 3 won't work
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    Well the test says the USB ports are ok but the processor and graphics card are not.  For my needs, I know that the graphics card and processor work fine so I might just chance it and try to pick up a cheap CV1.  There seems to be a strong market for them if I need to re-sell it again.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,514 Valuable Player
    cool.... post back when you get it and put down your experiences it may help others who are on the lower end of the spectrum.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    I finally purchased a CV1 yesterday and the answer to my original question "does CV1 require more resources than DK2" appears to be no, it doesn't, at least not for my PC.  The CV1 is working fine with my setup on the demo programmes and on the Flyinside-FSX flight simulator which is mainly what I want it for.  The video quality is much better than the DK2.  I can't say what the performance would be like on more recent games as I don't have any but I'm quite happy with using it for my flight sim. 
    My PC spec is:
    Windows 10 home - 64 bit
    Intel i5 CPU @ 2.8 GHz
    8 GB ram
    AMD Radeon 7900 graphics

Hope the above info is useful to someone.