Aliens - Fact Or Fiction..? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Aliens - Fact Or Fiction..?

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,589 Valuable Player
edited December 2018 in Off-Topic
Well we've had a time travel thread so I thought we should have an aliens thread too.

I believe that aliens have visited and are visiting our planet. Now I don't think that there are aliens that are living here and impersonating humans, but I certainly believe that at least SOME of these UFOs captured on film and seen by people are alien spacecraft.

How am I reasoning this? Pretty simple. There have simply been too many technological leaps since the 50s to make it not being true. Just have a think about it:

1. Integrated circuits and microchips.
  2. Credit cards and bank cards.
  3. Cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays.
  4. Kevlar
  5. Lasers
  6. Stealth bombers
  7. The Oculus Rift lol
  8. Velcro.
  9. Quantum Computers.
And then have a look back through time and you have the Pyramids, Mayan astronomy and cities, Stonehenge, the Inca's Machu Picchu and Teotihuacán in Mexico.

A great deal of these UFO sightings are around air bases so a good percentage of them can be put down to experimental aircraft, but ALL of them?

The truth is out there. Trust no one.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,873 Valuable Player
    I'm going to push for the side that argues: Nope. No Aliens.

In order to travel from one galaxy to another, it takes light years. We'd have to believe that some species out there has advanced far beyond us to the point of traveling faster than the speed of light, or we'd have to believe that some alien species out there can live for hundreds of years. Imagine going on an airplane trip and not arriving at your destination for 80 years? You'd be dead unless you started before the age of 10.

So sure, there may be life on other planets as either a single celled organism or complex organism. But have they traveled light years to visit Earth? Highly unlikely.

Having said that, I had a buddy who told me an interesting theory that I really liked. He said that Aliens are a species of advanced creatures that live inside our Oceans. Think Aquaman here. And they come up and out of our oceans to visit land dwellers from time to time. And that is where the footage comes from. I like this theory because it's unique; our oceans are vast and still a mystery to scientists; and it makes something feasible beyond the Science Fiction notion of traveling faster than the speed of light in a spaceship.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,589 Valuable Player
    Faster than light travel is coming soon(ish). It takes us humans time to reverse engineer this alien tech. B)

Noah the time traveller has said that aliens will be revealed to the world in 2028 if I'm remembering correctly but he also said that Trump is getting re-elected in 2020 so I'm not taking that as gospel lmfao :D :D :D

I also forgot to add Velcro and Quantum Computers to that list, I'll edit it now.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Quantum Computing uses light, but does not travel "faster" than light.

You can't just reverse engineer the type of technology that would supposedly travel faster than the speed of light. That's like trying to figure out the formula to sprout wings and fly like a bird.

Also keep in mind that if something can travel faster than the speed of light, how the hell could that advanced species be dumb enough to get captured on a simple camera? lmao
    Right, so if we can only travel at the speed of light (agreed on this), then the alien species would have to live for hundreds - if not thousands - of years. 100+ years travel to one galaxy, then 100+ years travel back home. Rinse, repeat.

Another way to think of this question... Is the game, StarCraft, by Blizzard Entertainment, really a documentary?
    :p
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Ah well as you get close the the speed of light, time slows down for you, compared to everyone else so you could travel anywhere within a short time (short time for the traveller that is).
    The problem is going home would mean you'd have no hope of seeing anyone you knew again... your entire planet may not exist anymore!
    Well the other problem is the energy needed to do the journey... something in the region of the total energy of a star.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    With all due respect to those who do not believe in Aliens......they are flat out WRONG!

With so many planets/solar systems out there and the size of the universe....the chances of Aliens being out there is 1000000%  Pure and simple.

Saying that we are the ONLY beings out here is laughable at the very least.

Have they visited Earth?  Most definitely YES.  We have advanced too far too fast and we are still going.
    Zenbane said:
    Quantum Computing uses light, but does not travel "faster" than light.

You can't just reverse engineer the type of technology that would supposedly travel faster than the speed of light. That's like trying to figure out the formula to sprout wings and fly like a bird.

Also keep in mind that if something can travel faster than the speed of light, how the hell could that advanced species be dumb enough to get captured on a simple camera? lmao

I wasn't talking about Quantum Computing being faster than light, I just added it to my list of technology that 'could' be reverse engineered alien technology, same with Velcro too. And IF aliens HAVE designed ships with FTL drives that have crashed on Earth and been recovered by humans it's only a matter of time before some bright spark reverse engineers it.

I reckon we'll see anti-grav vehicles sooner rather than later too. B)

They're here. And they're watching us. And I for one would like to welcome our future alien overlords. :p

My head gets fuzzy during this part since Light Years is a measure of distance and not time:
    "It's defined by how far a beam of light travels in one year – a distance of six trillion miles."

So, if an Alien Spacecraft can cover the same distance as Light does after travelling six trillion miles in one year, then even if the Aliens are coming from the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy, it would take 25,000 years since it is 25,000 light years away (and we're traveling at the speed of light). But this is a dwarf galaxy that is probably lucky just to have a single cell organism anywhere on it. One of the larger galaxies is the Andromeda galaxy; and that is some 2.5 million light years away.

Then the problem becomes... how long does that really take since "one year" is a measurement based on the Earth and Sun in our own Milky Way Galaxy. Plus, time slows as you travel at the speed of light.

A nice blurb:
    Even at the "low speed" of 10% of the speed of light (300,000 km per second, or 186,300 miles per second) our clocks would slow down by only around 1%, but if we travel at 95% of the speed of light time will slow down to about one-third of that measured by a stationary observer.

Even if we were to jump the shark and increase the 1/3 to 1/2 for time slowing at the speed of light, it would take 1.2 million years to travel 2.5 million light years.

Or did I foobar my science? lol
    Zenbane said:

My head gets fuzzy during this part since Light Years is a measure of distance and not time:
    "It's defined by how far a beam of light travels in one year – a distance of six trillion miles."

So, if an Alien Spacecraft can cover the same distance as Light does after travelling six trillion miles in one year, then even if the Aliens are coming from the Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy, it would take 25,000 years since it is 25,000 light years away (and we're traveling at the speed of light). But this is a dwarf galaxy that is probably lucky just to have a single cell organism anywhere on it. One of the larger galaxies is the Andromeda galaxy; and that is some 2.5 million light years away.

Then the problem becomes... how long does that really take since "one year" is a measurement based on the Earth and Sun in our own Milky Way Galaxy. Plus, time slows as you travel at the speed of light.

A nice blurb:
    Even at the "low speed" of 10% of the speed of light (300,000 km per second, or 186,300 miles per second) our clocks would slow down by only around 1%, but if we travel at 95% of the speed of light time will slow down to about one-third of that measured by a stationary observer.

Even if we were to jump the shark and increase the 1/3 to 1/2 for time slowing at the speed of light, it would take 1.2 million years to travel 2.5 million light years.

Or did I foobar my science? lol

We could be looking at these alleged spacecraft folding space too or using some sort of inter-dimensional travel. We just don't know, assuming for a moment that these things do exist.

I'm just hoping that a certain leader of the free world who shall remain nameless is going to reveal all about Roswell and Area 51 before he gets impeached lololol :D

edited December 2018
    snowdog said:
    I wasn't talking about Quantum Computing being faster than light, I just added it to my list of technology that 'could' be reverse engineered alien technology, same with Velcro too. And IF aliens HAVE designed ships with FTL drives that have crashed on Earth and been recovered by humans it's only a matter of time before some bright spark reverse engineers it.

So this idea of reverse engineering is one that I like to discuss. There is a premise that these "aliens" are only able to perform all of this Interstellar travel simply because... they have better technology. Why do we think that it is the tech that does it?

I like to refer to nature. Afteral, Aliens are just natural beings from their own organic planet, correct? A bird flies because of its genetic makeup. A fish breathes underwater due to its genetic makeup. What if these Aliens have a genetic makeup that allows them to bend space-time at their will? The reason time slows when traveling at Light Speed is because of the way "gravity bends space-time."

"As objects move near to the speed of light their mass increases more and more. The increased mass modifies time of the moving object. The same happens on earth too."

Perhaps there is an Alien species that can manipulate its speed and mass in such a way that allows it to time travel, naturally!

I believe this is just as feasible as any other theory. But what I always found to be rather presumptuous is that we humans on Earth as just so close to uncovering the power of Aliens because all way have to do is... reverse engineer. Hollywood and SciFi writers have really given the human race some egos lol
    edited December 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    With all due respect to those who do not believe in Aliens......they are flat out WRONG!

I look forward to the "flat out PROOF" ;)

With so many planets/solar systems out there and the size of the universe....the chances of Aliens being out there is 1000000%  Pure and simple.

Well that's a made up formula. That's not flat out proof! All you did was rephrase the question and then offered it back up as evidence. Also, 1000000% is not a real number when determining probably. The concept of probability stops at 100%.

I would counter your probability argument by pointing to the theory of Dark Matter and the Multiverse. I'm going to fumble through this part since I'm going from memory. But each Universe has its own assigned number where we have just enough Dark Matter to create our Universe in such a way that Life on an Earth-like Planet can only exist once per Universe. Therefore, our planet, Earth, has won that lottery ticket. In a system with a finite set of numbers there is 0% chance for human-like existence on another Earth-like planet... within THIS Universe.

If we follow the Dark Matter and Multiverse theory, and then use your extreme probability calculator, then there is a 1000000% chance that there are multiple universes, and each universe will have its own Earth-like planet.

To go back to snowdog's theory where everything relies on just reverse engineering stuff n' thaangs, there is currently zero evidence to suggest that any form of life (human, animal, alien, faeries, demons, etc) can travel beyond the boundaries of our known Universe and in to another Universe.

We have to think in terms of probability in our known Universe, and consider the theory that: to sustain human-like life on an Earth-like planet, the Multiverse only grants one winning lottery number per Universe.

All other forms of life in our known Universe would be a "lesser life form." So... is there other life in our Universe? Sure, in the form of single celled organisms and possibly some complex organisms living in water. But nothing that could invent the wheel, start a fire, or create technology so complex that we humans are taking decades to reverse engineer.

Well Palmer Luckey managed to reverse engineer the Rift from alien technology so ANYTHING is possible lol :p :D

I don't believe in alien abduction though, because if aliens were abducting human beings to study they would most certainly abduct me - the second most superior human being on the planet. The first, of course, being @vannagirl.

edited December 2018
    I still want to believe that the creatures we think are Aliens from another Planet/Galaxy, are really just an advanced species living inside our Oceans!

A fun Alien vid:
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,034 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure about Aliens, but I've stumbled on stories about military personal and pilots seeing Ufo's (Unidentified Fly Objects). The pilots and military personal who have witnessed them say they can do things that no other aircraft can do and that they appear to be under intelligent control. 

The biggest story in the UK was the Rendlesham Forest incident back in 1980, and happened at a USA military Air base. It was witnessed by the Colonel of the base and a whole load of other military personal, which happened over the course of a few nights. 

I've also come across @Zenbane friends theory about the ocean, but also heard the theory about Ufo's and other dimensions.

I think if they are real then they really like to frustrate use humans. They don't mind been seen on occasions, but will not properly reveal themselves to use all. They just seem to put on a light show and then they are gone in the blink of an eye, leaving those who have witnessed them scratching their heads..
    edited December 2018
    RedRizla said:
    I'm not sure about Aliens, but I've stumbled on stories about military personal and pilots seeing Ufo's (Unidentified Fly Objects). The pilots and military personal who have witnessed them say they can do things that no other aircraft can do and that they appear to be under intelligent control.

What I like about these stories is that they do not seem to consider unmanned aircraft. When people refer to "doing things no other aircraft can do," they are using aircraft requiring a human pilot as a baseline. I have a remote control toy car with tires that expand and the rubber becomes weaved like a spiderweb. There is no known vehicle that can do this lol

Our military uses drones now, controlled by a human far away using a HOTAS. Once we take the human out of the vehicle, there's all sorts of crazy stuff we can do; since we don't have to worry about hurting a person inside the craft.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,034 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

What I like about these stories is that they do not seem to consider unmanned aircraft. When people refer to "doing things no other aircraft can do," they are using aircraft requiring a human pilot as a baseline. I have a remote control toy car with tires that expand and the rubber becomes weaved like a spiderweb. There is no known vehicle that can do this lol

Our military uses drones now, controlled by a human far away using a HOTAS. Once we take the human out of the vehicle, there's all sorts of crazy stuff we can do; since we don't have to worry about hurting a person inside the craft.

I think they say this because they have to ask another question if not. Like who is the controller if there is no pilot and where exactly are they if they are not sat inside one of these things?
  • sford52sford52 Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    edited December 2018
    Zenbane said:

Another way to think of this question... Is the game, StarCraft, by Blizzard Entertainment, really a documentary?
    :p
    I'm afraid you've selected the wrong documentary.

Game over man, game over

I always liked Cixin Liu's solution to the Fermi paradox, but I think I believe in the "It is the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself" theory actually. Still, anxious to see if Ready At Dawn folks wet their little webbed feet.
    ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,803 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    I am in the 100% definitely aliens exist. With over 100billion stars in the milky way and over 400 billion planets AND that being just one of millions of galaxies I think it is hubris to some how think we are the only planet with life. Whether aliens ever have or ever will visit our planet I am not so sure. I don't think I am qualified to really say with confidence either way, after all 2000 years ago what we take for granted today would seem like sorcery.
    There is a school of thought that life on this planet may have been seeded from another one (either by direct influence or microbes on an asteroid). I think there is just as much chance of that than a pure cosmic fluke.
    It's an interesting topic. With a gun to my head I would say no.... The distances are too great but really who the hell knows. It is more plausible to me than god, devil and angels put it that way, but to each their own
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,048
    Wintermute
    snowdog said:
    Well we've had a time travel thread so I thought we should have an aliens thread too.

I believe that aliens have visited and are visiting our planet. Now I don't think that there are aliens that are living here and impersonating humans, but I certainly believe that at least SOME of these UFOs captured on film and seen by people are alien spacecraft.

How am I reasoning this? Pretty simple. There have simply been too many technological leaps since the 50s to make it not being true. Just have a think about it:

1. Integrated circuits and microchips.
    2. Credit cards and bank cards.
    3. Cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays.
    4. Kevlar
    5. Lasers
    6. Stealth bombers
    7. The Oculus Rift lol
    8. Velcro.
    9. Quantum Computers.
    And then have a look back through time and you have the Pyramids, Mayan astronomy and cities, Stonehenge, the Inca's Machu Picchu and Teotihuacán in Mexico.

A great deal of these UFO sightings are around air bases so a good percentage of them can be put down to experimental aircraft, but ALL of them?

The truth is out there. Trust no one.
    The thing is, you say all this came since the 50's but actually inventors and scientist stand on the backs of the people that came before them across thousands of years. We wouldn't of reached this point without our ancestors learning new things across the ages.

I don't believe Aliens or UFC sightings or any of that, but the universe is a big place and there's more chance of life existing on other planets then not existing. 
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    Didn't I hear a story on the news this last year of one of the deep space probes finding evidence of water-based life on a planet somewhere?

Isn't that alien life, then?

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    I am in the 100% definitely aliens exist. With over 100billion stars in the milky way and over 400 billion planets AND that being just one of millions of galaxies I think it is hubris to some how think we are the only planet with life. Whether aliens ever have or ever will visit our planet I am not so sure. I don't think I am qualified to really say with confidence either way, after all 2000 years ago what we take for granted today would seem like sorcery.
    There is a school of thought that life on this planet may have been seeded from another one (either by direct influence or microbes on an asteroid). I think there is just as much chance of that than a pure cosmic fluke.
    It's an interesting topic. With a gun to my head I would say no.... The distances are too great but really who the hell knows. It is more plausible to me than god, devil and angels put I that way, but to each their own
    Exactly. 

Sorry @Zenbane but let’s just agree to disagree on this one.  ;)

Theories are just ideas......not actual truth. 
    Digikid1 said:

Sorry @Zenbane but let’s just agree to disagree on this one.  ;)

Theories are just ideas......not actual truth. 
    Yes a theory is not truth, but you haven't presented either an idea nor a theory. Saying that someone is "flat out wrong" isn't truth in itself. I am more interested in talking about the scientific aspect of Aliens and their ability to travel across galaxies. So far you seem only interested in saying that you are right and other people are wrong. That's not much of a discussion.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,235 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2018
    Of course if we are using scientific terminology, then a theory is the verified (by testing and experimentation) explanation, not just an idea (that's a hypothesis).

edited December 2018
    I am in the 100% definitely aliens exist. With over 100billion stars in the milky way and over 400 billion planets AND that being just one of millions of galaxies I think it is hubris to some how think we are the only planet with life.

When talking about "life on other planets," yes there is a very strong chance that at the very least, a single celled organism exists on other planets. But when talking about "aliens" ... we are talking about some species from another planet that has advanced far beyond humans to the point that they can travel vast distances on par with the speed of light. And that's where the more Fairy Tale side of things comes in to play.

Your argument, like that of many others who believe in Aliens visiting Earth, is based on the idea that "probability" is proof in itself. Just because there are billions of stars doesn't mean that Alien life on another planet exists. There are many factors required for a planet to sustain life, including that planets ability to survive millions of years in order for evolution to occur. Yet with all the forces in the Universe that are constantly trying to essentially kill life on a planet, it is hubris to think that the evolution of sentient beings is easily achievable.

What's interesting is that you actually mention one of the main reasons that life on other planets cannot sustain itself: too many stars. Do you know what happens when all those 100 billion stars die? A damn supernova!

Supernova's are just one of the many ways that the Universe is trying to murder all life. Here is a great list of all the ways the Universe is trying to kill us:
    1. Rogue Black Holes
    2. Galactic cannibalism
    3. Gamma Ray Bursts
    4. Asteroid impact
    5. Supernova
    6. Planetary Collision

And that's just the Universe. But Earth is another matter. It loves trying to kill us every day... with natural disasters, microbes.

The Universe is quite the mass murderer, and it's hubris to think that avoiding death is so easily achievable that other sentient beings are just getting along fine and inventing interplanetary travel across the cosmos.
    ;)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,718 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018

There's a decent BBC program The Search for Life: The Drake Equation, I'm sure it'll be on YouTube somewhere... that gives the maths involved in determining how many intelligent alien civilisations there are out there and how accurate that equation is likely to be given the individual range of values that the elements of the equation have.

You'd have to apply the maths of travelling from the nearest of those civilisations to earth to get near to understanding whether we've been visited or not.

Then you'd have to apply some reasoning as to why a civillation would expend the kind of resources needed to making such a journey.

Then you'd have to decide which is more likely... people believing in alien visitations because they want it to be true... or that it's happened.

There has been a recent recording from a USAF pilot but it strikes me that any country involved in experimental aircraft design would want to protect their investment by not informing military pilots of what they were testing... and governments would be happy to let reports of UFO go public just in case the public witnessed anything.

Also, it's interesting to note that just about everyone has a camera on there person now but the only time when there was a big increase in UFO photos was when the X Files first aired, that says a whole lot about us.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)