cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(SOLVED) How do I install Elite Dangerous Commander Deluxe Edition? It keeps failing at about 4gb

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I've been trying to play ED through Oculus via SteamVR, but it's really hit and miss. So I decided to redeem my ED code for Oculus, but it keeps failing at about 4gb. I've installed and played several other games without any problems.

Things I've tried in between each attempt:-

Clearing out the Frontier folders from the staging and software folders
Disabling AV
Restarting pc
Stopping and restarting OVRService
Starting Oculus in Administrator mode

Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Frontier_Support thank you for the offer, but after a few restarts of the pc the Oculus app realised that there was an update to the game (it did take a good couple of hours though).

I can confirm that the game is now running as expected and I'm eager to get back into the black when my cats stop grabbing my attention.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RattyUK
Trustee
@RicHales74  The servers may still be suffering a little due to the update...    Don't start Oculus in Admin, things will go pear-shaped a little 🙂  It may be worth trying early morning...
With using Steam check the settings in SteamVR, you may find that the Video setting is way too high for your card, Ideally set this to (manual) 100% and use the Application menu to set any SS you may wish to use.
HTH
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
@RattyUK thanks for the advice.

I've subsequently removed the installation folders...again, uninstalled my copy in Steam, I've just reinstalled that too. Opened Steam VR, altered the video setting to manual and then down to 100% (it was at 168% for some reason), SS is at 100% too. But I get random hitches in framerate and random pauses for a few seconds.

Just to be clear, I have had this running flawlessly through Steam VR previously, but as I said it's really hit and miss as to if I get good performance or not, which is the reason I thought going directly from Oculus would net me a better result.

Specs (just in case something is amiss):-

Windows 10 Home
I5-6600k (not overclocked)
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
24gb RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4)

Edit: I've stopped all non-essential services (Apple, Corsair 7.1 headset, Logitech keyboard/mouse manager, Virtual Drive...etc) and I'm able to play via Steam VR with almost not hiccups.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning I'm now able to installed the game via Oculus, so I think that you might have been right about the servers taking a battering after the latest update @RattyUK ...which leads me to the next problem, when I launch the game it now tells me to close the window and login via the launcher, which is also open but with no option to login. Talk about jumping through hoops, I'd have been better off just playing Candy Crush j/k

FrontierSupport
Adventurer
Hi RicHales74! Sounds like there are some crossed wires in the installation somewhere. Please send us a ticket and we'll see if we can help.

-CMDR Tronador
Frontier Support

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Frontier_Support thank you for the offer, but after a few restarts of the pc the Oculus app realised that there was an update to the game (it did take a good couple of hours though).

I can confirm that the game is now running as expected and I'm eager to get back into the black when my cats stop grabbing my attention.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
This is funny because i recently decided to launch ED from my Oculus account rather than steam to save on stuff running in the background, so i started the rift store dl, stopped it, shut down Oculus, then dragged the contents of ED from it's steam folder across into the Oculus Ed folder, started up Oculus and it found it and away i went, never needed to dl it for the Oculus store. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RattyUK
Trustee
The latest update 'sorted' ED not launching in VR via Oculus this weekend, it had launched fine in VR in Steam but not Oculus (odd).  not a major issue but nice to see it getting sorted without any effort on my part 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

yefim88
Explorer
Hi, I also have a problem of installation, I have ED on Steam and I would like to switch to Horizon. Problem I bought it but could not install it.