Beat saber won't update — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Beat saber won't update

Hey, about a month ago I have bought beat saber in the oculus store. Things are working nicely, the updates are great. Except the most recent update, 0.12.1, just won't install. The oculus program simply says "couldnt install, please contact occulus support". Anybody knows whats going on?

Answers

• DenisJrLambertDenisJrLambert Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem for me.....
  • WolfgangWaltenbergerWolfgangWaltenberger Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    To add to the thread, I did not do any modifications, add my own sogns, or anything. Always played it as intended.
  • basilmillbasilmill Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Well, my December 16th update downloaded and installed fine, but my Dec 24th update (which supposedly has some new songs) won't download and update.  Anyone know anything about the reason for the beat saber update issues?
  • Slimbo604Slimbo604 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine won't update, from 0.12.1 -0.12.2. Neither will onward, they're the only games that won't update. 
  • basilmillbasilmill Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    No news yet?  My Beat Saber still won't update.  It's sad.  In the advertisement for the update I can hear the new songs.  But, no I can't play them.  Anybody else have problems getting Beat Saber to update?  Would it be worth it to uninstall it and re-install it?
  • LeeighLeeigh Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I have about 7 games that refuse to update. Occ. aint interested.
  • thickbeardthickbeard Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same for me. 
  • meeflingmeefling Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I figured out what worked for me. I uninstalled it and then installed it again and it downloaded with the new update. I did this from the oculus store so i don't know if it would work from steam.
  • NijNij Posts: 303
    Nexus 6
    I've been having this issue for ages now, pretty much all of my games will update fine apart from beat saber and one or 2 others and the only way I can get round it, is by uninstalling and reinstalling but I'm getting fed up of doing this now, as there is another update today and again it won't update but echo vr, the wavevr and bigscreen all updated fine this week so it is definately just certain games

I've contacted oculus and like others have said there not really interested and I sent them my logs but they reckon it's a windows permission thing that is causing it but I've checked the permissions for the folder and they're all set to allow, so this is now becoming very annoying as i'll have to uninstall and reinstall again today, I've contacted the developer also

Did anybody figure this out
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • CrazedLlamazCrazedLlamaz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have also been having this issue ever since Version 12. Since Oculus doesn't want to help with problematic updates in their launcher, I am no longer buying games via the Oculus store. I will just go through Steam. At least there we can get support and clear feedback on what is going on. 
    Nexus 6
    Thought I'd found a way round it, I moved beat saber to my second drive, then it let me update it and then I moved it back to my main ssd drive and it seemed to have kept all my scores but then I tried the same with lone echo as this had an update but after moving it back to my main ssd, I went to play the game and my save game had gone, so that game will now be redundant as I think I'd almost finished it and I'm not starting again
    I was a believer!! I was a Kickstarter backer!! Now I shall reap the rewards!!! :D :D :D
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,103
    Wintermute
    I'm about to find out if my fresh install works as 4 Updates wouldn't complete and it caused errors on that Games Drive. In my haste to try fixing the Drive I reinstalled Oculus but with AV still ON which I think is the issue. Or it's the repairs it did which broke some connection files. Once I couldn't delete any VR file at all until I re-connected the Drive! Seems like the MBR got all switched around upon trying to fix my Drive Errors. Reason it all started was due to an old DAW Soundcard actually needing a Cold Boot instead of just a Reboot to fully complete install...it gave me a BlackSOD for 30secs and seemed to crash then my PC could never be started! This time I discovered it was still installing during that time to finalise the Drivers even though they were installed in Devices using Update Driver. Hopefully that's all it was rather than needing a bigger PSU as I had previously. I gone from 825W (old PC) to new upgraded from stock 550W. Also I've noticed PCIE LINK STATE could have needed to be OFF for WAKEUP from SLEEP!

If your SSD ever crashes then expect problems! If you installed Oculus with AV ON then expect problems ;)
    Wintermute
    SO, fresh OS install and I get my PC to boot after it always has to do an Auto-Restart due to having the legacy Music DAW card and it over complicates the boot process. I have a Legacy Boot Option in Bios but my SSD is greater than the 2TB limit which would result in lost data even if it booted.
    RESULT: I now had 9 Updates to complete Prerequisite checks and now just 2 remain to refuse to "Update" which is simply to check them against the already installed and working game which I can actually launch manually.

Oculus Download Management at it's BEST!!!:o 
    So that's 2 games you owe me!!!
  • kickassretardkickassretard Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I also have the problem that most games fail to update. The workaround is to move them to a different location and then back. Then updates work.
    Wintermute
    edited April 12
    Fails...
    I tried Copy/Paste.
    I tried Cut/Paste.
    Tried all those to same Drive but root Directory.
    Tried all those but to C: Drive from 2nd Games Drive.
    Tried all those with Running Oculus Update whilst in other locations.

There was an old post about redirecting the Juncture by some method.

Nexus 6
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Fails...
    I tried Copy/Paste.
    I tried Cut/Paste.
    Tried all those to same Drive but root Directory.
    Tried all those but to C: Drive from 2nd Games Drive.
    Tried all those with Running Oculus Update whilst in other locations.

There was an old post about redirecting the Juncture by some method.

Nice one for the update

I also have the problem that most games fail to update. The workaround is to move them to a different location and then back. Then updates work.
    This did work for me for lone echo but I lost my saved game and I'd nearly completed it, should of copied the save file
    Wintermute
    edited April 16
    I haven't managed to find THE CMD FIX JUNCTURES yet even though I tried on 2 occasions. However, Support also mentioned other option to try Creating another USER MS ACCOUNT and although I think that will work, I don't know if it is a simple matter to then transfer all progs permissions via any Renaming or just Deleting the broken User Account. I'll get around to it. I had this before on a Drive I considered was failing so just bought another Drive! Best of luck.
  • LavaFlowLavaFlow Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Beat Saber, BoxVR, SUPERHOT, and Space Pirate Trainer were all stuck.  Looking through the OVRLibraryService.log and the consistent error was this:  

[Error] [5/31/2019 3:44:23 PM] Error moving old install directory.
    Daybreak.Core.Io+IoException: Error installing '\\?\Volume{fff414c2-e572-40a5-9688-0336c70c4957}\Program Files\Oculus\Software\swap\hyperbolic-magnetism-beat-saber-a0903d13-1dc7-4514-a381-bde1386611b1'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Daybreak.Core.Io.InstallTrustedFile(Nullable`1 transaction, String source, String dest)
       at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Packages.PackageOperation.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<FinishChunkedPackageInstall>b__1()
       at Daybreak.Util.Mixins.Retryable[TExpectedExcept](Int32 tries, Action block)
       at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Packages.PackageOperation.FinishChunkedPackageInstall(ChunkedPackageInstaller packageInstaller, CommonManifest installedManifest, String stagingDir, String installDir, String hotSwapDir, ChunkedProgressUpdater updater, Func`2 finishAction, IntPtr transaction, Boolean inPlace)
    [Debug] [5/31/2019 3:44:23 PM] Operation failed.  Rolling back changes.

Tried shutting down non-essential services and apps.  Dug through a ProcMon capture to see if I could see the file lock (nope).  Even declared an AV exclusion for the Software folder.  No joy.

In the end, I shut down the Occulus app, moved the four game folders from C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Software to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Software\Old, restarted Occulus and initiated the upgrade from the Library screen.  Worked.  Now to figure out if I lost any save data and put it back...
    Wintermute
    edited May 31
    Your problem may return in future as Program Files Folder is used by OS so has Permissions on it. Ideally you install Oculus Setup to a 2nd Drive.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update
    Nexus 6
    Yep, still happening to me i'm afraid, even after several windows and oculus app updates, the problem isn't going away

Known games so far, beat saber, killing floor, lone echo, space pirate trainer, superhot, drop dead, It's becoming really annoying now, I know it's not my AV, I've sent my logs to Oculus and they say it's just a windows permission issue but how come all my other games update and I can still install new ones?

Only work around I've got is to locate the game save and back it up, moving the game to my second drive and then updating it and then moving it back to my main ssd and restoring my save game as I didn't back up my save game with lone echo and I lost all my progress so I won't be playing that again

I'm not uninstalling the app and all my games again, done that a good few times already
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    Hmm this must be the problem I am having with Lone Echo. I had not played it in a while, and wanted to give a go with my new Rift S.
    It crashes to desktop shortly after beginning play.
    I have tried completely uninstalling and re-installing a couple of times, no joy.
    It is completely unplayable for me.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Wintermute
    Are you guys using C: Drive and installed Oculus into the Program Files Folders?
    edited June 5
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Are you guys using C: Drive and installed Oculus into the Program Files Folders?
    No, I have my Oculus games on my Drive E. My other games are on Drive D
    I have no game software on C where Oculus software is installed.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Wintermute
    edited June 5
    Did you install Oculus Setup into the default folder C:\Program Files is what I ask all of you?
    Steam Program can be installed onto a 2nd Drive and it always works.
    Oculus gets Permission Issues if using any OS Folder for the main Program which it directs you to in the install path.
    So either install Oculus to it's own Folder on C:\ OR better still to put it on a 2nd Drive instead to further prevent any OS Permission issues.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/74027/games-wont-update
    No that is not it and I am not going to faff about trying to reinstall the Oculus program itself, been through that enough over the last few days sorting out my Rift S issue I had.
    All my other games work just fine. While I would like to try Lone Echo with the Rift S now, I can live without it so have it uninstalled. If at some point in the future it gets updated and might work I will try again.

Don

Wintermute
    It's what Support tell us...

" The redistributables mentioned download to the initial Oculus directory, so be sure that the Oculus software has permission to write to that directory. It's especially important if the software was installed in the Program Files folder, as this is a Windows protected folder.

You can try reinstalling the Oculus software in a different location (one that isn't Windows protected). To do this:

1.    Uninstall the Oculus software.

2.    Navigate to where the setup file is location. Enter cmd in the address bar.

·         This opens a command prompt with the current working directory set to that location.

3.    Enter: OculusSetup.exe /drive=E

·         You can choose any drive letter here.

Regards,

Dakota
    Oculus Support"
  • PerseusDawnPerseusDawn Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Nij said:
    I've been having this issue for ages now, pretty much all of my games will update fine apart from beat saber and one or 2 others and the only way I can get round it, is by uninstalling and reinstalling but I'm getting fed up of doing this now, as there is another update today and again it won't update but echo vr, the wavevr and bigscreen all updated fine this week so it is definately just certain games

I've contacted oculus and like others have said there not really interested and I sent them my logs but they reckon it's a windows permission thing that is causing it but I've checked the permissions for the folder and they're all set to allow, so this is now becoming very annoying as i'll have to uninstall and reinstall again today, I've contacted the developer also

Did anybody figure this out
    I can’t even uninstall at this point. Whenever I click uninstall, nothing happens :(
    Nexus 6
    edited June 13
    Don't wanna get too excited yet but think this issue might have been resolved with the latest windows feature update not an oculus update as i'm still on 1.37 but my beat saber hasn't wanted to update for nearly a week now and I haven't bothered uninstalling and reinstalling but after the windows update I went into oculus and it already updated it, thank god, so just hope this happens with all the other stuck games I had issues with before

So must of definately been a windows permission thing

Now just to wait for oculus update and see if it helps with rift s issues