New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

The Mad Box Is Coming!

Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
Whatever that means...  Interesting.

It’s now 2019 – if you hadn’t already noticed – and next week is the largest tech event in the world, CES. While there are usually lots of announcements and rumours, the latest to pop up on the Twittersphere is quite the oddity. CEO of Slightly Mad Studios Ian Bell – the creator behind Project CARS – has taken to the social network to announce ‘The Mad Box is coming‘.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2019/01/project-cars-creator-joins-twitter-and-proclaims-the-mad-box-is-coming-with-vr-support/

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,127 Valuable Player
    Given that PlayStation 5 is rumoured to run 4k games at 60FPS, then this Madbox could be real. Hearing nothing about it leads me to think it's not real though, Unless the Madbox is PlayStation 5 :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Given that PlayStation 5 is rumoured to run 4k games at 60FPS, then this Madbox could be real. Hearing nothing about it leads me to think it's not real though, Unless the Madbox is PlayStation 5 :)

If it is real, the price will be unreal lol
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,207 Power Poster
    edited January 3
    A number of cards can run 4K 60fps on low settings...not many can run games 4K60fps at Ultra settings. I assume SMS are releasing a plug and play PC like console with 2x RTX 2080ti running their latest game (optimised for SLI) at said resolutions. They haven't mentioned price so I expect it to be rather gimmicky and expensive.

Ian said this regarding the name Madbox.

Media Arts Development Box, and/or a contraction of the 'Madness Engine' which is our SMS technology.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    A number of cards can run 4K 60fps on low settings...not many can run games 4K60fps at Ultra settings. I assume SMS are releasing a plug and play PC like console with 2x RTX 2080ti running their latest game (optimised for SLI) at said resolutions. They haven't mentioned price so I expect it to be rather gimmicky and expensive.

Media Arts Development Box, and/or a contraction of the 'Madness Engine' which is our SMS technology.

My first thoughts were this is going to be solely for sims - driving and flying specifically.  I think the price will dictate that.  I believe "simmers" will spend the most on VR kit.  I hope it does well.

My first thoughts were this is going to be solely for sims - driving and flying specifically.  I think the price will dictate that.  I believe "simmers" will spend the most on VR kit.  I hope it does well.

Well if if does flying and driving sims really well, then I'll purchase it..
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 404
    Trinity
    edited January 4
    I haven't heard something so fishy in a while. The dude says its console could run VR at "60 FPS per eye", which means literally nothing. 60 FPS per eye is 60 FPS.
    Also, I love the way he describes it : "4K, VR at 60 FPS" could make the viewer believe it can run 4K at 60 FPS, when in fact he did not say that. He said it could make 4K, and then that it could run VR at 60 FPS.
    So we'll get a console that can run 4K, only not in 60 FPS, and run VR, but at no more than 60 FPS.
    That stuff is literally pointless.
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"
    I haven't heard something so fishy in a while. The dude says its console could run VR at "60 FPS per eye", which means literally nothing. 60 FPS per eye is 60 FPS.
    Also, I love the way he describes it : "4K, VR at 60 FPS" could make the viewer believe it can run 4K at 60 FPS, when in fact he did not say that.
    So we'll get a console that can run 4K, only not in 60 FPS, and run VR, but at no more than 60 FPS. That stuff is literally pointless.

He has clarified - 120FPS!!!

Variety reached out to Bell, who clarified via email that the Mad Box will be 120 FPS after the confusing “per eye” FPS claim.
    When asked about what games will be available on the console, Bell stated that “We plan to allow games from all developers, old and new.”

But it is all early days as he states.

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/ian-bell-mad-box-1203097617/
    edited January 4
    @LuluViBritannia - Like I said in a earlier post the PlayStation 5 is rumoured to run at 4K 60FPS, so I see know reason why this MadBox couldn't do the same thing. Madbox will have to beat Playstation 5 and VR 2, if it is to stand a chance. By beat, I mean, get it out there before PlayStation 5 &  VR 2 arrives. I'd much prefer Sony to win though because of the amount of money they have to throw at games for VR..
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 404
    Trinity
    But if that's what he meant, why didn't he say that in the beginning? Why say 60 FPS first, and then 60 FPS per eye? In fact, why talk about "FPS per eye" at all? This very phrase makes no sense! It just feels like the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and just says things he knows people want to hear.
    ... That, or he's just bad with words (which is something I can relate to xD).

Anyway, I'm definitely not trusting this project for now. Who knows, it could be revolutionary. But I hardly believe it.
    My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"Everything changes. Even the happy or funny things disappear. Can I still enjoy this place anyway?"
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 800
    3Jane
    If he´s a clever person, he has said it the way he did to create even more fuzz about the product and not have us raise our bars.
     So when it´s released and runs 60mhz PR eye, and does 4k 60fps, even at low settings, no one will be dissapointed.
    We might even be impressed.
    I hope to hear more about the box in the coming week.
    Be good, die great !
    Yeah, it's definitely one to park in the "wait and see" slot.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Technically the Pimax headsets have a different fps and per eye fps, using their Brainwarp method.
    With brainwarp, you'd have 90fps per eye, but the actual display is 180fps. This happens because each eye is out of phase.
    Render left eye
    Display both eyes
    Render right eye
    Display both eyes

From the article: "So what the hell is going on? Is it the real Ian Bell? It seems unusual that someone would impersonate him, but the account has only been set up today."
    My first thought was deja vu of the Atari Box. If it's not the real Ian Bell, I can probably guess who it is. :)

This is the interesting bit for me though: "You want a full engine for free to develop your games on it?"
    Does this mean they are giving out the Project Cars engine? How moddable is it to non racing games? Or do they mean Unreal or Unity work on the console?

I'm kind of sad that it's a different Ian Bell to the one that co-created Elite with David Braben.

Ok, going over this Ian's twitter account, there's more details:
    He says the Mad Box is 90fps per eye, 180fps internal. Sounds like brainwarp.
    Here's the product:

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    All aboard the hype train, first stop, dissapointmentville. lol
    The MadBox is real, but it's 3 years away, by which time something much better will be available no doubt..

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/05/playstation-xbox-console-competitor-mad-box-design/
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,159
    Wintermute
    RedRizla said:
    The MadBox is real, but it's 3 years away, by which time something much better will be available no doubt..

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/05/playstation-xbox-console-competitor-mad-box-design/
    "it’ll be a while before the product is released with the studio CEO give an estimate of three and a half years before it’ll be available to consumers."

Fully agree with RedRizla - in the summer of 2022 Mad Box will be up against PS5 and probably a new console from MS - while RTX 3080/2180 or even RTX 4080/2280 may have been released ;) 
    Personally Mad Box is of little interest to me, before it's available - then we'll see if Mad Box is interesting for Sane Users ;) 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    edited January 6
    @RuneSR2 - I was hoping it was going to arrive this year when I first saw the thread. Sadly, like you said, three and a half years will see other tech before MadBox. Who knows though, it might turn out to be something special when it does arrive..