New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I feel like Oculus is trying to scam people

maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
NerveGear
I've tried from my laptop, and phone, and was unable to post to the forum. Generally when prompted with a "sign in" option you get a prompt for your credentials and move on. The only way i got to this point was by going through the oculus software. Any other routes offer a "sign in" button that result in an endless "...". Initially i had a legitmate question about a particular app, but now i'm questioning if this company is legit. I want to believe in this company but their apparent censorship makes it tough.

Comments

  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    It’s the crap forum software they use. It’s an ongoing issue that they simply refuse to do anything about. 


  • maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    thanks @Digikid1 ; definitely helpful... but why would a legit company refuse to do anything about such an issue? (question is directed at the community not anyone in particular)


  • RolzRolz Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    it's been a bugbear of mine for ages... only solution is to go to the oculus main page and log in there, then navigate to the forums... Grrr
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,779 Valuable Player
    Yep the forum software is pretty archaic. 
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    maikhorma said:
    thanks @Digikid1 ; definitely helpful... but why would a legit company refuse to do anything about such an issue? (question is directed at the community not anyone in particular)


    Simple.  MONEY.  This is standard forum software that probably cost them absolutely nothing and therefore they don't want to put any cash flow into it.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,609 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    maikhorma said:
    I've tried from my laptop, and phone, and was unable to post to the forum. Generally when prompted with a "sign in" option you get a prompt for your credentials and move on. The only way i got to this point was by going through the oculus software. Any other routes offer a "sign in" button that result in an endless "...". Initially i had a legitmate question about a particular app, but now i'm questioning if this company is legit. I want to believe in this company but their apparent censorship makes it tough.

    @maikhorma I raised a case just before Christmas for the same issue.  For 5 years or so i have logged in via the forum.  I can no longer do that.  I didn't bother trying for a month because of that, was going to give up actually but thought no i'll bother my arse.

    Go to Oculus.com and log in.  Once logged in go to the bottom of the page and click on Forums (small text).  You should go to the forums logged in.  Once or twice i have had to click on log in in the forums - it has then just logged in.

    Edit: just seen that @Rolz has already said the same - thumbs up!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,979 Valuable Player
    Yeah, this is a Vanilla Forum which is free:

    Would love to see the forum upgraded. Having to log in to Oculus.com first and then navigate here is silly and lacks professionalism.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,311 Valuable Player
    It seems to depend on the browser, I can’t log in on Safari or Chrome but can on IE, or at least I can now. There was a few days last week I had to go to the main page to log in but it’s ok again now.
    But yeah, add my vote for improvements here, it’s not great.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Digikid1 said:
    Simple.  MONEY.  This is standard forum software that probably cost them absolutely nothing and therefore they don't want to put any cash flow into it.
    I get it, but when you're charging people real money for real stuff I feel like they have a responsibility to maintain their credibility...

    Thanks to all who have responded and helped out!

    FWIW I was able to log into this session on chrome by disabling ad blocker. Maybe that helps but the problem definitely still exists without an ad blocker on my other devices.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    Itynot browser related. I have tried with almost every browser ( except that crap called Chrome ) and still no luck....even on mobile. It’s just luck of the draw unfortunately. 
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 848
    3Jane
    I rarely have the issue using firefox. That said, when it does happen it´s a matter of luck or coincidence logging back in.
     It´s been quite a while since it last happend to me, that said I´ve probably jinxed it now.

    See you in a month when im capable of writing posts in here again.
    Be good, die great !
  • maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    not to start a big browser debate here @Digikid1 (which i am definitely doing right now) but which browser do you consider not crap? 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,135 Valuable Player
    maikhorma said:
    ....

    Thanks to all who have responded and helped out!

    FWIW I was able to log into this session on chrome by disabling ad blocker. Maybe that helps but the problem definitely still exists without an ad blocker on my other devices.

    Thanks for raising the point @maikhorma - have to agree that the forum is not really enhanced by this continued issue (some people brought this up over 12-months ago!) Not going to be helped any, as the guy that controlled the service, and probably knew how the code worked has left the company! 

    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,311 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Itynot browser related. I have tried with almost every browser ( except that crap called Chrome ) and still no luck....even on mobile. It’s just luck of the draw unfortunately. 


    Definitely a browser issue for me, just tried my various options and IE is the only one letting me log in from the forum page. That said, it could be a pop-up blocking issue within the browser as with the OP, or a security software setting if that's installed... or a combination there of.

    In any event, I'd say it's a symptom of not enough testing on different machines and not enough motivation to allocate resource to improve it.

    Hopefully that's because Oculus' attention is focused on future hardware.

    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,135 Valuable Player
    DaftnDirect said:
    ......
    In any event, I'd say it's a symptom of not enough testing on different machines and not enough motivation to allocate resource to improve it.
    Nail on head!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    maikhorma said:
    not to start a big browser debate here @Digikid1 (which i am definitely doing right now) but which browser do you consider not crap? 
    I use Firefox exclusively on my computers and it is the one I install on all of my builds at my store as well.  As for a list of what is crap to not.....from absolute crap to non crap is as follows:

    1.) CHROME
    2.) Edge/Internet Explorer
    3.) Opera
    4.) Chromium
    5.) Firefox


  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Itynot browser related. I have tried with almost every browser ( except that crap called Chrome ) and still no luck....even on mobile. It’s just luck of the draw unfortunately. 


    Definitely a browser issue for me, just tried my various options and IE is the only one letting me log in from the forum page. That said, it could be a pop-up blocking issue within the browser as with the OP, or a security software setting if that's installed... or a combination there of.

    In any event, I'd say it's a symptom of not enough testing on different machines and not enough motivation to allocate resource to improve it.

    Hopefully that's because Oculus' attention is focused on future hardware.


    Have you gone INSANE?!!?!?

    It's a well known FACT that Oculus are abandoning PC VR, all you're gonna get is standalone headsets. All this Half Dome talk is just a clever bluff to lull you into a false sense of security, you crazy crazy fools. This why I've said fuck you Oculus, I'm buying a Vive.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited January 5
    it's a well known fact that people who talk like @snowdog  are morons. I'm not even going to address your point, because the way you say it disqualifies you from any real conversation.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 302
    Trinity
    Why make browser wars? It should work on any major browser, Its been annoying me for ages too!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    maikhorma said:
    it's a well known fact that people who talk like @snowdog  are morons. I'm not even going to address your point, because the way you say it disqualifies you from any real conversation.
    None of that talk please. That is just his humor and it is accepted here. No need for name calling please. 
  • maikhormamaikhorma Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Digikid1 said:
    None of that talk please. That is just his humor and it is accepted here. No need for name calling please. 
    Humor is supposed to be funny right? I didn't call anybody any names, i simply made a statement. I missed the post where you scolded him for calling everyone "crazy crazy fools".
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,360
    3Jane
    Oculus really needs a basic Old Home Only Runtime for Users to fall back on. Once a bad update fucks up we are still forced to carry on and just wait it out for another Update whilst we tear apart our systems and get totally no answers of help nor confirmation of their being a problem they are fixing.
    WE NEED A SIMPLE OLD HOME TO FALL BACK ON! TELL THEM FOLKS PLEASE.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,979 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    maikhorma said:
    Digikid1 said:
    None of that talk please. That is just his humor and it is accepted here. No need for name calling please. 
    Humor is supposed to be funny right? I didn't call anybody any names, i simply made a statement. I missed the post where you scolded him for calling everyone "crazy crazy fools".
    snowdog is mocking everyone who actually does believe Oculus is abandoning PCVR. It was satire, not his own thoughts. snowdog has been around this forum long enough to see all the Oculus and VR doomsday prophets and naysayers. Sometimes it's fun to borrow their rhetoric to make fun of the fact that they were wrong. People were claiming that Oculus consumers were "fools" and the Rift is dead/dying since 2016.

    People like snowdog and myself tend to make fun of all this moreso going in to 2019 because so far Oculus has released GO and Quest before announcing the Rift CV2; which has increased the amount of claims that Oculus is abandoning the Rift and CV2. The truth is that we're all looking forward to the next version of the Rift; but making a joke of the doomsday prophets and naysayers helps lighten the mood while we wait!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    Well to be fair to @maikhorma I did forget to post these :D :D :D  after making that statement so he can be forgiven for getting the wrong end of the stick. :p B) :D

    And it isn't name calling, cos I really am a moron in actual fact. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,609 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Well to be fair to @maikhorma I did forget to post these :D :D :D  after making that statement so he can be forgiven for getting the wrong end of the stick. :p B) :D

    And it isn't name calling, cos I really am a moron in actual fact. B)

    Too late.  I'M JOINING THE PRIMARX FORUMS!!!
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 222
    Art3mis
    No one mentions any VR web browser :(  VR is dead! :lol:

    Will you test login in Oculus Go browser? :)

Sign In or Register to comment.