cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift HDMI

Casey1287
Honored Guest
I just purchased an Oculus Rift and am trying to set it up but it is saying the HDMI isn't connected. I know the HDMI works because I connect my computer to my TV periodically to watch movies. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the oculus program, updated ALL of my drivers on my computer, verified the HDMI port still works and nothing changes.

I am running an MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro laptop. It has an NVIDIA GTX970M in it.

Originally the light above the forehead on the headset was orange but is not white(the color changes when i plug in the HDMI port so obviously its regonizing it). I also get a screen flicker when connecting the headset to the computer which is a positive sign.
3 REPLIES 3

MikeF
Trustee
 generally with laptops youl need to disable the onboard gpu since that tends to be the default hdmi output. In your case though the issue is most likely due to your 970m which is below the min spec of a standard desktop 960

Casey1287
Honored Guest
I made sure i enabled the GTX as the primary. I find it insane that i can play almost any game on high graphics but i cannot use this product at all. It says the minimum spec is 980M and the person that purchased this for me as a gift didn't know. Is there any way to bypass this requirement?

Richooal
Consultant

Casey1287 said:

I find it insane that i can play almost any game on high graphics but i cannot use this product at all.

The Rift needs to drive 2 displays, totaling 2160 x 1200 at a constant 90fps. The GPU needs to be powerful enough to maintain that rate to avoid motion sickness.
In 2D games a low frame rate is a nuisance, in VR it makes you very sick, very quickly. There needs to be a cut off point somewhere, and your card is below that cut off point.

I'd suggest sending the Rift back, or upgrade your computer. (preferably not a laptop, they're problematic with Rifts)

Edit: a quick google search for "MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro laptop" reveals that this laptop CAN NOT be used with the Rift because the HDMI port does not connect directly to the GTX970M.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.