Can anyone recommend some good vr games that have a story? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Can anyone recommend some good vr games that have a story?

SonguBirdoSonguBirdo Posts: 6
NerveGear
all of the vr games i have played so far have seemed super arcadey. can anyone recommend some vr games with stories.
Tagged:

Comments

• saami81saami81 Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Lone echo, Witchblade, Edge of nowhere, Pixel ripped 1989, Skyrim VR, Serious Sam 3VR.
    Those are the story driven games that i have personally played and can confirm.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 667
    Neo
    Fallout 4VR, Obduction (no hand holding puzzles) plus ^^^
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    Lone Echo is my top recommendation. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    edited January 8
    Transference, Wilson's Heart, Red Matter, Robinson: The Journey, Mage's Tale, The Invisible Hours, Arizona Sunshine (to some degree, it's a first person shooter), A Chair in a Room, Moss, Chronos; Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, Seeking Dawn and many more VR games have awesome stories. Even Windlands 2 has a nice story - but you may prefer more adventure-like games if you want deep story-driven games.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SonguBirdoSonguBirdo Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    i really enjoyed fallout and skyrim on non vr because they are both story and action focused. anyone know which vr games do that?
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    edited January 9
    You can't expect games at the level of Skyrim and Fallout on a platform that's been here for only 3 years, buddy. A game like this takes 5 years or more.
    This is why the VR games with the best action/story ratio are ported games (so... Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR xD).

Dead Effect 2 VR has a full campaign and is packed with action. It's very fun, especially if you like zombie games. It has an RPG dimension and has plenty different weapons (from long range firearms like rifles or guns to short-range weapons like axes and swords). It's also multiplayer.

Also, there is Subnautica. The VR controls are kinda sh*t, but if you can bear with it it is an awesome game. It also has a little story (haven't gone deep into that yet).
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    You can't expect games at the level of Skyrim and Fallout on a platform that's been here for only 3 years, buddy. A game like this takes 5 years or more.
    This is why the VR games with the best action/story ratio are ported games (so... Skyrim VR and Fallout 4 VR xD).

Dead Effect 2 VR has a full campaign and is packed with action. It's very fun, especially if you like zombie games. It has an RPG dimension and has plenty different weapons (from long range firearms like rifles or guns to short-range weapons like axes and swords). It's also multiplayer.

Also, there is Subnautica. The VR controls are kinda sh*t, but if you can bear with it it is an awesome game. It also has a little story (haven't gone deep into that yet).

Awesome - had completely forgotten about Dead Effects 2 VR - gotta try that one soon. And Subnautica is great too, once you get used to the controls and the awkward VR menus/in-your-face-VR-panels
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Today I thought: "This jolly good evening I will definitely sit down and find out which 400 Skyrim mods I need - I'm sure that will be a great and fully enjoyable evening".

But then I got another thought - maybe I don't need to hurry with those exciting 400 Skyrim mods today - because:

Fortunately the Steam VR Candy Store was still open, and got this - downloading now - it's rated 9/10 based on more than 700 ratings  B) 

Hmmm, this could easily turn into quite an ultra-sporty and highly exhausting evening - close to doing BoxVR for a few hours  :)

• RudalplRudalpl Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Real life?  :D
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hmmm, this could easily turn into quite an ultra-sporty and highly exhausting evening - close to doing BoxVR for a few hours  :)

Wow, the graphics look bloody good!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Wow, the graphics look bloody good!
    I spent an hour testing every graphics setting using the OTT performance hud - but of course it was worth it ;)

Like Doom VFR this game has many jaggies, unless antialiasing is applied. But to really make this game shine, it needs high levels of super sampling. Like in Lone Echo, Dead Effect 2 VR really shines using super sampling 2.0 (=200% set in SteamVR), but of course something like ss 1.8 may look great too. 

If I force ss 2.0 and max out all video settings, then I get like 45 fps. And that's not working great in-game. Turns out that there's really only 1 truly demanding in-game video setting, and that's Effect Quality. If I set Effect Quality to low, then I can max out all other video settings (FXAA3 antialiasing) and get solid 90 fps, but when I choose Effect Quality = medium, I get mostly 90 fps which occasionally dip to 45 fps. Owners of 2080 Ti may be able to use ss 2.0 + Extreme Effect Quality, the rest of us probably cannot. 
    Effect Quality has great impact on light reflections and light conditions, but ss 2.0 is providing so much more depth and clarity to the game - I'd happily trade some Effect Quality for ss. 

In short - I'd recommend going for ss 2.0 (200%) in this game for GTX 1080+ owners, while setting Effect Quality to medium (or low). Even ss 2.0 won't completely get rid of annoying jaggies, so you'll need some additional antialiasing. FXAA2 is ok, but FXAA3 seems the perfect match between antialiasing and sharpness. So I'd recommend FXAA3 antialiasing, ss 2.0 (200%), Effect Quality = medium/low and all other video settings maxed. 

And the game feels amazing - much like Doom VFR, but with more story and RPG elements (slightly System Shock'ish). 

• LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 313
    Trinity
    My top selection for story based games:

Roomscale:
    • Lone Echo
    • Moss
    • Budget Cuts
    With limited Touch support:
    • Skyrim VR
    With Gamepad:
    • Alien Isolation (with mod)