New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Now nvidia are supporting Freesync panels (announced last night)

bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,584 Valuable Player
this means all gpus on the market capable of VR can support it.
i wonder if this tech could help VR somewhat.

it would have to be limited, you wouldnt want the frame rate of the screen dropping to 50hz in vr... but if perhaps you have a scenario where 90% of the time your screen outputs at 90, but freesync will allow the panel to momentarily drop to say 80hz or even 75hz, without using ASW (or other clones of it) and then ASW would then only kick in if the frames dropped to under 80/75fps?

sounds like it could be another string in the bow for good quality vr?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,902 Volunteer Moderator
    Looks like it's not very wide support. Out of 400 models of Freesync monitors that Nvidia tested, only 12 work with their new support. The models that work are listed here:

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 703
    3Jane
    How is going to help VR?  Gsync is just about the first thing I disable.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,584 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    How is going to help VR?  Gsync is just about the first thing I disable.
    you are i think the 1st person i have ever seen with a gsync screen who actively disables it when playing games. why do you not like it?
    as for how it can help vr....  i am not sure how to expand on my OP to be honest.  if the vr hmds supported  a version of ASYNC which nvidia played nicely with as well as AMD, but it was limited to only say 75 or 80hz below which then ASW then took over, then the potential benefits seem clear to me.

the question in my mind however is does using it show glitches in VR which are not visible when on a monitor?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    I'd also like to know why you disable Gsync? 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,584 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Looks like it's not very wide support. Out of 400 models of Freesync monitors that Nvidia tested, only 12 work with their new support. The models that work are listed here:

This is true however apparently the nvidia tests are very very strict.  users will be able to manually enable support even if not officially supported however YMMV on the result (my gut feeling is it will work but time will tell).