New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR at CES2019

kojackkojack Posts: 5,619 Volunteer Moderator
edited January 7 in General
Currently the HTC press conference is on. You can see a liveblog by RoadToVR here: https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-ces-2019-press-event-liveblog-livestream/?platform=hootsuite

HTC have announced a new headset: Vive Pro Eye.
It has integrated eye tracking and foveated rendering with Nvidia RTX support (variable rate shading).

Nvidia's CEO Jensen Huang said on stage that 4 million PC VR headsets have been sold so far.

Disney and Audi have added Rift support to a car.
I wonder how they are doing motion cancelling?
One funny bit from the article: "picked up a Nunchuck-like remote"

Asus RTX2080 Laptop with Virtual Link USB C
https://uploadvr.com/asus-rtx-2080-laptop-virtuallink/

HTC Vive Cosmos headset announced
It looks like the HTC version of the Oculus Quest. Headset with 4 camera inside out tracking and 2 (Touch like) hand controllers.
It's got a flip up visor.
It is apparently a PC headset but can be powered by other things like a mobile phone.

Official Cosmos website: https://www.vive.com/us/cosmos/
(It's one of those crap animated ones where scrolling up/down doesn't always scroll)

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    You beat me to the thread. Nice one.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,197
    Wintermute
    UploadVR is streaming the conference:
    https://www.pscp.tv/w/1YqxorVdkYaJv

Be good, die great !
    edited January 7
    VIVE Cosmos, a Quest competitor, although it was an animation only, something tells me this is a reactionary product in response to the Quest announcement and could be pretty far off still.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,619 Volunteer Moderator
    The Cosmos controllers appear to use thumbsticks. :)

Not exactly news so I won't edit it in the op, but here's some Quest stuff:
    "Oculus Quest is the savior VR needs"

Oculus QUEST is being demoed at CES privately:

I bet they are already manufacturing the headsets ready for imminent release in the early spring.

The Disney / Audi thing has some interesting aspects. It makes the VR world match your car's movements. Turning, accelerating, etc are done in VR too, so you shouldn't get motion sickness (real and virtual movement match).
    It also customises the experience to match the expected length of your trip.

They are going to release an sdk by the end of 2019.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,773 Valuable Player
    edited January 7
    Says "coming soon" Lukas. I would wager it's a direct competitor to the OcQuest. Interesting that its tethering to gaming PC is wireless. I wonder then if OcQuest could also support wireless gaming?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Says "coming soon" Lukas. I would wager it's a direct competitor to the OcQuest.
    Yeah, that is what I meant. Although if it was this soon I would imagine they would have something a bit more solid than a 20-second computer animation? Quest is launching pretty soon.

kojack said:
    The Disney / Audi thing has some interesting aspects. It makes the VR world match your car's movements. Turning, accelerating, etc are done in VR too, so you shouldn't get motion sickness (real and virtual movement match).
    It also customises the experience to match the expected length of your trip.

They are going to release an sdk by the end of 2019.

I wonder how this works with heavy traffic for example. 

It would be so cool if it could interface with onboard cameras around the car so it would feel like you are riding an invisible car!

I edited in a better pic of the Cosmos.
    Hmm, those controllers are VERY Quest like. Top ring, thumbstick, same buttons on top in the same position as Quest, side analog triggers.
    I wonder if they use AA batteries behind a magnetic cover, or are usb charged like the Vive wands.

I guess it's good for developers, easy to support both headsets when HTC just copy Oculus. :)
    kojack said:
    I edited in a better pic of the Cosmos.
    Hmm, those controllers are VERY Quest like. Top ring, thumbstick, same buttons on top in the same position as Quest, side analog triggers.
    I wonder if they use AA batteries behind a magnetic cover, or are usb charged like the Vive wands.

I guess it's good for developers, easy to support both headsets when HTC just copy Oculus. :)
    Heh yeah.

I do like the subscription idea tho, would be nice if you could have a Quest subscription and have access to a curated catalogue of games.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,780 Valuable Player
    Get ready for another format war!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,222 Volunteer Moderator

The Audi demo is on the BBC website and it looks like their promise that motion sickness from the car and motion sickness from VR, when combined, cancels out.... isn't quite true!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology-46788110/audi-brings-disney-vr-to-backseat

Interesting though.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    kevinw729 said:
    Get ready for another format war!

BETAMAX FTW!

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,494 Volunteer Moderator
    https://www.vive.com/uk/cosmos/

Already on their site, states at the bottom, minimal SDE
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski said:
    BETAMAX FTW!

Did not Betamax (Pro) win in the long run?  B)

Happy New Year.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    OMG @kevinw729 imagine in the future Out of Home entertainment could corner the market in a completely new way. As the on-demand car economy (Uber, Lyft) etc expands, with this tech you could have VR in those vehicles in the future (perhaps by using some sort of dongle add-on that interfaces with the car's IO port, most modern cars have one) Do you see any commercial sense in that or am i being stupid? Perhaps a mobile on-demand arcade while you get to your destination.

The Cosmos is going to have RGB panels and HTC's "sharpest screen yet".
    Dev kits are due early this year, more news on consumer release later this year.

From the Cosmos website:
    "The virtual universe is always expanding; VIVE Cosmos was designed to expand with it. With an ever-increasing suite of modular customizations, the possibilities for VR are endless."
    Sounds like the Pimax kickstarter campaign. :)

The camera arrangement for the Cosmos is interesting.
    An advantage of it over the Quest is that the front 2 cameras look well positioned for pass through AR. However the overall arrangement looks like it has worse coverage (especially above and below) than Quest's corner design.
    Ok "coming soon" then... :s 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited January 7
    ....Do you see any commercial sense in that or am i being stupid? Perhaps a mobile on-demand arcade while you get to your destination.

Yes I can see this being applied..... it has already been done actually
    @LZoltowski B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,598 Valuable Player
    I really hope our local Microsoft Store puts of Demo's of HTC's Vive "eye." I'm very exciting about experiencing eye-tracking in a high-end PCVR headset. Eye-Tracking has been at the top of my feature list from Day 1. Exciting!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited January 8
    You'll then need to bathe in acid for a week to get the Vive residue off. :#

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,049 Valuable Player
    More HTC garbage. What about more Oculus stuff?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,598 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    More HTC garbage. What about more Oculus stuff?
    Historically, Facebook/Oculus presence has been underwhelming at CES. I remember old threads and posts where the lack of compelling Oculus news at CES caused people to believe that Oculus was dying lol

Facebook-Oculus rely more on OculusConnect and Facebook's Developer Conference (F8) to showcase new innovations. I wouldn't expect much coming out of CES tbh.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,726 Valuable Player
    edited January 8
    Zenbane said:
    I really hope our local Microsoft Store puts of Demo's of HTC's Vive "eye." I'm very exciting about experiencing eye-tracking in a high-end PCVR headset. Eye-Tracking has been at the top of my feature list from Day 1. Exciting!

At first I got the impression that eye-tracking and foveated rendering was something Abrash was working on. Now I'm thinking that Nvidia is behind this tech and HTC simply is the first to jump on the wagon. Like shown in this Nvidia presentation:

So foveated rendering probably won't be a Rift S/2/whatever exclusive, but hopefully Oculus will be the first to get it working great in a HMD that won't cost an arm and a leg... 

I'm not fond of foveated rendering requiring a RTX card, could be a real deal-breaker. RTX owners are the last to really need a technology that may reduced gpu load (since RTX cards are generally very fast in modern games) - instead foveated rendering may be godsent to owners of low-end gpus like GTX 1050. I guess Nvidia isn't focused on getting old gpus to last longer, they want to sell new gpus. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,706 Valuable Player
    @RuneSR2 - So you have to have a Geforce RTX card for foveated rendering? people are just now starting to get low end cards at a good price to get into VR, but now they will need an RTX card for PC VR 2, correct? Talk about 1 step forward 2 steps back when it comes to trying to sell to the masses. I'm not sure people are going to want to change a Geforce 1080 for a Geforce 2060 RTX just to get PC VR 2, but I could be wrong..

I like the look of this HTC headset, it's copied a few things like the controllers and the Sony PS VR headset flip up front, but I really like the flip front given anything pressing on my face causes me discomfort. Or should I say certain materials pressing on my face. I've had to use VR Cover for Oculus so far..
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,726 Valuable Player
    edited January 8
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - So you have to have a Geforce RTX card for foveated rendering? people are just now starting to get low end cards at a good price to get into VR, but now they will need an RTX card for PC VR 2, correct? Talk about 1 step forward 2 steps back when it comes to trying to sell to the masses. I'm not sure people are going to want to change a Geforce 1080 for a Geforce 2060 RTX just to get PC VR 2, but I could be wrong..

I like the look of this HTC headset, it's copied a few things like the controllers and the Sony PS VR headset flip up front, but I really like the flip front given anything pressing on my face causes me discomfort. Or should I say certain materials pressing on my face. I've had to use VR Cover for Oculus so far..

Yes it seems so - I'm very much against foveated rendering requiring RTX (unless it's absolutely impossible to get foveated rendering working without RTX). Feeding highest-end users more goodies probably won't help VR adoption, maybe it'll just alienate common gamers even more regarding VR. 

Cosmos could be interesting, high res + almost no SDE makes me wonder if HTC got help from Samsung ;) But again, for me it's software before hardware, so far I've seen nothing better than Lone Echo 2 and Stormland. 

RedRizla, I just edited my answer, I read your reply too fast, sorry :)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"