New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Google Earth is broken

dawn.lawson.5dawn.lawson.5 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Either that, or the world has become completely white. I got the Go because I have very end stage COPD and I can't travel. I REALLY like the idea of looking around. Should I uninstall and reinstall>

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Google Earth isn't available for the Go.

Do you mean EarthView3D? It's developers disabled it, there's no way to use it anymore but they keep it on the store for some reason (if you check the update history the devs say it doesn't work anymore).

• dawn.lawson.5dawn.lawson.5 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited January 14
    Oh that sucks! Is there anything like it? I got this thing so I could travel. I have 18% lung function and don't get around much. Thank you for answering. I will pay any amount of money to go places. I bought Wander, but you just stand around on the same street with different languages on the stores.
  • zipp7638zipp7638 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 15
    Do you have a PC? if so download virtual desktop for the GO  which allows you to run your PC thru the GO and then run google earth on the PC.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 446
    Trinity
    If money is no issue get a rift + pc. 
    NerveGear
    You guys are great--thank you!!! I'm a bit confused zipp--it doesn't take much to throw me. Would this allow me to watch on immersive through Go, or would I be looking at my laptop screen? Mlke--is Rift as easy to use and set up as go? I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 446
    Trinity
    edited January 15
    Yes rift is very easy to setup and even more intuitive than the go due to the additional positional sensors. Just make sure your pc specs are compatible via the rift compatibility tool before ordering. If you dont have a pc then go for one of the oculus recomended desktops and you'll be good to go. 

NerveGear
    I have a Surface Pro 4--will that work?

NerveGear
    I am assuming now that I am broken. I purchased the virtual desktop. It is on the Go, giving me environments No options to do anything. I down loaded to program on the computer. How to I look at Google Earth through the computer, or do anything through then computer. There is no menu, nothing to point at or click on but environments. Are you tired up me yet?
  • T00LmanT00Lman Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi Dawn, don't give up. I am in the same position as you. Also COPD and not a fysical world traveller anymore :-). There are some travel options: I have bought Wander (looks like streetview). Also bought Nature Treks. This is really fun, but a VR environment. I see that today SkyTrek is cheaper. You can fly above cities, but don't know if its good.
    I see you have bought Virtual Desktop. You can install the free version of Google Earth on your Surface Pro 4, but the controle from within your Oculus is difficult. I have tried it, but not yet found out how to do it simple...
    Gala360 (free) does give you also some nice world views. However, in the app there are pay ads if you want to get more.
  • zipp7638zipp7638 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 18
    You also (besides downloading virtual desktop to your occulus Go),  have to download the streamer app at this site and install it on your pc for virtual desktop to work with your pc.
    https://www.vrdesktop.net/
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 532
    Neo
    edited January 18
    T00Lman said:
    Hi Dawn, don't give up. I am in the same position as you. Also COPD and not a fysical world traveller anymore :-). There are some travel options: I have bought Wander (looks like streetview). Also bought Nature Treks. This is really fun, but a VR environment. I see that today SkyTrek is cheaper. You can fly above cities, but don't know if its good.
    I see you have bought Virtual Desktop. You can install the free version of Google Earth on your Surface Pro 4, but the controle from within your Oculus is difficult. I have tried it, but not yet found out how to do it simple...
    Gala360 (free) does give you also some nice world views. However, in the app there are pay ads if you want to get more.

Actually SkyTrek is pretty good on the Go.  It's probably the best poor man's version of Google Earth VR with higher end PCVR like the Rift.  No street view though and mainly just USA and a few UK ones.  Graphics are pretty basic but it's kinda fun and pretty inexpensive imho.  If you do not like it you can get a refund pretty easily if you bought it from the Oculus Go Store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1612336165492390

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!