New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Eve Valkyrie

BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,171
Project 2501
edited January 9 in Games and Apps
Seems no-one is playing this. Most threads are a couple or more years old and more recent ones only concern issues installing.

I've just had my first proper session this morning - about 50 minute's worth. I did really enjoy the combat bits, using Touch for (semi-)control but the menu system I found clunky and very unintuitive - whilst appearing to be made to be intuitive.

Having to repeatedly swap between HOTAS and Touch to achieve simple actions was a PITA, as was trying to assign controls. If I made a mistake, I was unable to correct it or simply unassign, by following the displayed control actions. It either did nothing or jumped back a couple of menus, instead of simply unassigning that particular control.

I'm sure space combat with my HOTAS set up how I would like it would be really great - but once I had finished assigning I was unable to find any way to get a game. It either put me in a lobby, to wait for other players (who never turned up) or kept fobbing me off - such as the daily challenge I opted for - "The next challenge will be available in 20 hours" wtf?? :o

I was told I had only completed about 20% of the training. Great - let's get on with the rest. Only how? I couldn't find it at all and had to guess what to select. That was the same with assignments - some of them are simply guessing what the action does, because there is no description to tell you.

So it looks like it's back to the 'net, or YouTube yet again, to find out how to play a game. Thanks  :#   I will do it, though, because I'm sure that once I've got the menus and controls sorted, it will be a very enjoyable game to play. For short periods, at least (you know - until it gets repetitive and tedious, as all space combat games eventually do).

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,159
    Wintermute
    edited January 9
    It's probably my favorite VR space combat game - but I don't play it often. If only the final game had been more like the utterly awesome pre-alpha trailer...

I prefer strong singleplayer campaigns - but thanks for the post, maybe I'll go into the cockpit later tonight, Eve Valkyrie usually works like 10 cups of coffee  :D It's also one of the good ol' games where you can max out graphics settings and still get solid 90 fps.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,171
    Project 2501
    Yeah, I'd forgotten that it was given away on release of the Rift - and therefore was optimised for the XBone pad. Maybe I'll give it a try with that as well as the HOTAS.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,127 Valuable Player
    I thought the gameplay was shite to put it mildly. The game looked great, but the game play just wasn't there for me. I might be wrong, but I think that's why people aren't playing it..
    Project 2501
    edited January 10
    Well it's basically just a space wave shooter, but in a massive arena - I think the lighting is a bit OTT, but basically this, for me, is just short term fun and combat practise.

I think the major off-putting point for Joe Average is the size of the installation more than anything else (30GB). That's the main reason I waited until now to try it - made some space having removed a couple of games from my SSD.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    edited January 10
    Too many ships that i have no idea what they all do or what they bring to each fight, plus it is all just too big, it is a bit like the COD games, i liked these when you had two sides that started at either end of a map and everyone stayed on the ground, but when they added people flying, running along walls and jumping over buildings then it become for me anyway, far to complicated and lost for me what made the game fun, that head to head face off challenge type gameplay.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,412 Power Poster
    RedRizla said:
    I thought the gameplay was shite to put it mildly. The game looked great, but the game play just wasn't there for me. I might be wrong, but I think that's why people aren't playing it..
    No way; the gameplay was awesome and addictive. I only stopped playing because I had committed far too many hours of my life to this game.

The controls in the menu system are not very intuitive though, and if you map things wrong you have to reset and start over. That being said, I have no problem keeping my Touch controller nearby to toggle between HOTAS and Controller. Sucks that the HOTAS mappings don't work with the menu system better though.

But combat and flight mechanics? They are awesome!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Wintermute
    edited January 10
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:
    No way; the gameplay was awesome and addictive. I only stopped playing because I had committed far too many hours of my life to this game.

The controls in the menu system are not very intuitive though, and if you map things wrong you have to reset and start over. That being said, I have no problem keeping my Touch controller nearby to toggle between HOTAS and Controller. Sucks that the HOTAS mappings don't work with the menu system better though.

But combat and flight mechanics? They are awesome!

I especially love how some of the giant guns follow your head movements (in some ships) - like piloting an Apache helicopter!... - And it's a highly polished game. 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Project 2501
    OmegaM4N said:
    Too many ships that i have no idea what they all do or what they bring to each fight, plus it is all just too big, it is a bit like the COD games, i liked these when you had two sides that started at either end of a map and everyone stayed on the ground, but when they added people flying, running along walls and jumping over buildings then it become for me anyway, far to complicated and lost for me what made the game fun, that head to head face off challenge type gameplay.

That's a very good point. I was looking at a whole selection of fighters and no idea what the difference between them was. In the end I chose the one that looked the most agile. Whether it was, or there is no difference other than aesthetic, I've no idea. Mind you, as long as I win with it, I don't care :p

edited January 10
    OmegaM4N said:

You can change ship in each map and try them all out fairly quickly and easily. The playstyles each ship represents is rather straight forward:
    • Fighter
    • Tank
    • Support
    • Stealth
    The ship variations allow some diversity, but it's all fairly balanced. The difference comes down to the main weapons and support weapons on each ship. It's really fun to experiment with the differences.
    edited January 10
    I might give it another look, but from what I remember I thought the sensitivity of the ship you were flying was pretty bad. It might have been that was just crap at the game though.

The other thing I found was I couldn't tell if I was fighting bots or players. How do you know if you were fighting human players and not just bots? 

I'm saying I'll have another look, but nobody's playing it, correct?
    Wintermute
    edited January 10
    Just went in - haven't been playing the game for 9 months :blush:

Everything worked perfectly - had no problems starting an online death match (4 or 5 players). There're also some single player (training) missions - and I've completely forgotten the controls, but it all came back to me quickly. To choose some options you need to look at them (=HMD-directed controls - had forgotten that too and suddenly got worried that my Touch controllers weren't working :blush: ) It's still an awesome feeling flying those ships - why can't I start in one of those in Elite?  :D

How do you know if they are players and not just bots?
    Wintermute
    It think it said online players, had to wait 80 seconds for the match-making. The player names did look like made by online players too, but of course that could be simulated. Whatever I met out there kicked my a**, I hope it wasn't some bots :blush:

Project 2501
    I'm guessing by the names, at least. See the names of the ones you fight in the training sessions and you'll see the same ones if it's bots. That's how I knew there was no-one around to play with when I tried to start a TDM sesh - all bot names in the ready room.

Personally, I don't care who I fight, as long as I win, or at least have a good scrap.  I'm guessing runey got a game quickly due to his time zone. I was playing daytime GMT, so not much chance of anyone with a half decent ping.

edited January 10
    RedRizla said:
    How do you know if they are players and not just bots?
    The names is a good giveaway. If you are killed by "YoMama69" then it is probably a real player.

They once had their full AI Bot list online here:

But the forum is discontinued. I just sent them a tweet. Hopefully we can get an updated list!