New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Dangerous display question

S_BumgardnerS_Bumgardner Posts: 3
NerveGear
Will the Oculus Rift version of Elite Dangerous display to the standard screen - non VR, 4k on laptop?

Comments

• Orodreth16Orodreth16 Posts: 55
    Hiro Protagonist
    Not sure if I understood the question right...
    The Rift Version of Elite Dangerous can also be played in 2D.
    When playing in the Rift, the image is mirrored to your monitor.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 538
    Neo
    You can set the screen window size when using VR in the options menu, not entirely sure how performance might be affected by such a setting.
    Otherwise starting in desktop mode (just in case you meant that) can run in any resolution supported by your PC.  I run the Oculus version in desktop mode for those times I don't want the headset on in 4K, my laptop will play the game fine in 3k (native) with a 1070 onboard :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • S_BumgardnerS_Bumgardner Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks guys, I will check the Options/Graphics screen.

I can't run the Rift all the time, plus, I haven't gotten Voice Attack working correctly yet, so the Rift version looks good but is unplayable. I'll work on it.

The help is greatly appreciated.
    Neo
    @S_Bumgardner ; - do you use a HOTAS?  I know touch can be used as a gamepad (or a gamepad) but it gets 'complicated'...
    The only annoying bit with ED is if you have played it in VR then switch back to desktop you have to go through the graphics settings to bring the game back to full screen each time.  ED in VR really needs SS to shine so maybe Oculus Tray Tool could be your friend :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • S_BumgardnerS_Bumgardner Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have a Logitek joystick. I used the joystick and keyboard. I'm looking into filling out the Voice Attack configuration so that I won't need the keyboard.

I'll look into the Tray Tool.

I have an MSI GT73 with 4k display with a GTX 1070 Max-Q graphics system. The mirrored display is a little thing in the middle of the screen. I am not surprised that this is going to take some time to configure. Luckily I have a nice PS4 system to fall back to.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,879 Volunteer Moderator
    You don't need the tray tool for SS changes, Elite has that option built in to its quality settings menu as HMD Image Quality.
    Neo
    kojack said:
    You don't need the tray tool for SS changes, Elite has that option built in to its quality settings menu as HMD Image Quality.
    I know...   I meant to say Dar Kali's ED Profiler (in hindsight) but had my own wires crossed when I posted - with ED Profiler the game can be started with presets for VR & Pancake...   I'll blame old age :)

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,326
    3Jane
    edited January 14
    If you want Oculus ED to start on Desktop Fullscreen you need to not select 3D Headphones is all. That's what this thread is about.