New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Waterfox Browser

BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,224
Project 2501
I wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone who may, like me, have preferred Firefox (nee Mozilla) over the years, but feel it's got a bit of a bloat-on in recent years.

I went looking for an alternative and tried all the main opposition to Firefox and none of them really offered what I wanted.
It was purely by chance that I stumbled across Waterfox - I'd never heard of it before, but now I use it as my main browser, with Firefox also installed for banking and shopping etc.

Here's the 'official' spiel:

Waterfox was started back in March 2011 by myself (Alex Kontos), a 16 year old student. I had a fascination for the web and wanted to help expand on the ideals of what Mozilla had for a free and open web. And so I decided to make Waterfox, a 64-Bit browser based on Mozilla's free and open source platform.

Waterfox was one of the first widely distributed 64-Bit browsers on the web and quickly gained a loyal following. At a time Waterfox had one thing in mind: speed, but now Waterfox also attempts to be an ethical, user-oriented browser.

Waterfox focuses on giving users choice. The browser is focused on power users, which lets you make the important decisions. There is no plugin whitelist (meaning you can run Java Applets and Silverlight apps), you can run whichever extensions you like (including Classic Firefox Add-Ons!) and absolutely no data or telemetry is sent back to Mozilla or the Waterfox project.

If you fit the profile I mentioned, I recommend giving it a try. It's certainly left me the most content I've been with a browser for several years.

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 841
    3Jane
    It got quite a following years back when it was 64 bit but Firefox wasn't. Now they're both 64 bit.
    The downside is that security patch releases are much slower for Waterfox than Firefox.
    That said, I've been using it for years without problems and can't see any reason to change.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS