Rift 1.34 Release Rolling Out Now — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.34 Release Rolling Out Now

OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 297 Oculus Staff
edited January 28 in Oculus Rift S and Rift

Dash:

• Livestreaming: You can now livestream directly to your Facebook page using Dash. Note: Some apps do not permit streaming.
  • Avatar editing: Change your Oculus Avatar anytime by pressing on the “Edit Avatar” tab on the Social Panel in Dash.

Home:

• Public Homes: You now have the option to make your Home public, allowing non-friends to visit your space and join group activities. The Home menu also now features recommended Homes, based on things like social activity and number of likes. Recommendations are automatic and dynamic, so check back often. Note: This feature is rolling out gradually.
  • Improved multiplayer functionality: We've updated multiplayer features in Home so you can play basketball, shoot blasters or redesign your Home while friends are there.
  • Multiplayer avatar editing: Strut your stuff. You can now use the Avatar Editor mirror to customize your appearance when you're in a Home with your friends.

Fixes:

• Fixed double rendering issue impacting some GPUs

Update (1/28/2019)

Hey all - just wanted to provide a quick update. Earlier this month we identified a Dash issue impacting memory clock speed on NVIDIA cards, and our engineering teams have been actively working with our friends at NVIDIA to identify a fix. Our teams appreciate your continued patience as we work to provide a resolution. If you are experiencing this issue or any others, please continue to utilize the "Provide Feedback" option within the Oculus software and open a support ticket with your logs.

Comments

• Clayster2012Clayster2012 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I tried to live stream to my Facebook and both accounts are linked, but when I tried streaming in Dead and Buried it tells me Live Stream isn't available!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,067
    Wintermute
    Shooting a blaster with friends? That's incredible.
    Does the Rift setup ask me what drive I'd like to install to yet?
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,085
    Wintermute
    edited January 22
    So, all issues  with the 1.34 PTC got addressed?
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,605 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,920 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

Doubtful. 
  • IlMissile95IlMissile95 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I tried to live stream to my Facebook and both accounts are linked, but when I tried streaming in Dead and Buried it tells me Live Stream isn't available!
    Me too
  • swiklesswikles Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I don't think ive got the update yet ive checked updates and nothing is there
    edited January 23
    swikles said:
    I don't think ive got the update yet ive checked updates and nothing is there
    It may take a few days - or a week (depending on your location I guess)

I hope my Rig/Rift will survive this Update too - sometimes I feel like these dudes, there's no choice and I'm forced to do it  o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• vavoumvavoum Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    @oculus : Guys any guide for the feature you release? i mean live streaming i tried and tried and well can't make it work.Also when i invite someone in my home.. he is there but i can't see him..Any ideas.. Just a guide would be helpfullthx
  • KeljuKelju Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    NO! the reduced gpu memoryclockspeed is there. -204MHz on gtx1070.
    In Onward that is negative 5-10% difference in performance headroom (of oculus debug tool perf overlay)
    Havent tested other games yet.. will post results when i have.

ANYONE FROM STAFF CARE TO COMMENT THIS? Give me a reason for this and i can accept this. Otherwise reducing hardware performance is not acceptable!!! C'mon this can not be that hard to understand...
    edited January 24
    Kelju said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

If that's true it's definitely completely unacceptable.

Consider sharing your findings here for better impact:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/

I'm wondering if overclocking your card about 204 MHz more than usual can help neutralize the 1.34 impact? 

Is the reduced mem speed only happening when you launch Home or the Oculus desktop app?

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    edited January 24
    Mmmm I sweated for weeks to fine tune my GTX1080 overclock when I got it.  Knowing a program took the right to change its max frequency is really disturbing... I think I will wait a little to see how it goes reading around before using my rift...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,412 Valuable Player
    edited January 24
    Kelju said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    In Onward that is negative 5-10% difference in performance headroom (of oculus debug tool perf overlay)
    Havent tested other games yet.. will post results when i have.

ANYONE FROM STAFF CARE TO COMMENT THIS? Give me a reason for this and i can accept this. Otherwise reducing hardware performance is not acceptable!!! C'mon this can not be that hard to understand...
    That is not good. I just built a new PC this past week, was running 1.34 PTC on previous build and had that bug, still on 1.33 Release on this new build and bug is not present. So I guess it will be back when mine updates to 1.34 Release then. It was reporting by many also in the PTC. Can't believe they have let that slip through the release version.
    No way should Oculus Home reduce our GPU memory frequency.
    @OculusSupport ??
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Animus777Animus777 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Can confirm VRAM speed degradation. For my gtx 1080 efffective memory speed is 9 GHz  in VR. In non vr games it's 10 Ghz.  That's 10%  of performance down the drain.  I'm very disappointed in Oculus. They knew about this bug and still pushed the update on thousands of people. I'm not a guinea pig.  :(
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,920 Valuable Player
    Animus777 said:
    I'm not a guinea pig.  :(
    Not according to Oculus.  Love their hardware but their software staff is clearly sleeping.......or not sleeping and therefore is not thinking either.

Hate to say it. :(
    Digikid1 said:
    Animus777 said:
    I'm not a guinea pig.  :(
    Not according to Oculus.  Love their hardware but their software staff is clearly sleeping.......or not sleeping and therefore is not thinking either.

Hate to say it. :(
    Yeah apparently , it was certainly brought to their attention when it was in PTC.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,067
    Wintermute
    The worst part is the lack of release notes, what was fixed, what will be fixed and acknowledgement of consumer feedback.
    I left the PGPC (Public Guinea Pig Channel) because of this. If you want people to help you test things there needs to be 2-way communication.
    It seems like there's actually 2 test channels. The one you opt into, and the public rollout.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    edited January 24
    I'm starting to wonder if it isn't FaceBook's web developers who are working on Dash, and on whatever portion of the software was downclocking?

I'm hoping this won't become the Windows 10 October Update of Rift

Ah, wait, is it just Home downclocking, or is Dash doing it too?
    I have Home disabled usually.
  • wreckoning90125wreckoning90125 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    My mem clock decreases by 500Mhz when I start Oculus. Please fix this.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited January 24
    Just got the Update and I go straight into my Home and see it's very dull lighting as though all the lights are turned OFF! EVGA GTX1080 SC2 no Precision Monitor used.
    It's seriously shit - I won't use it!
    Just started E:D and the good loud sound I had fixed is quiet once again. I mean WTF?!?
    --------------
    A 2nd restart of E:D fixed the sound level again back to good and loud ;)
    Wintermute
    I got the forced 1.34 update today, oh boy!  Actually, after running some of my high resource demand flight sims (X-Plane 11.30, Realflight 8, and Aerofly RC8) and racing sims (Assetto Corsa) I did not notice any performance diffs (= same FPS and no stuttering).  I have not really noticed any diffs in performance since 1.31.  Home 2.0 panels seem a little bit clearer/sharper.  I don't really use Home2 dollhouse/social functions so I cannot say if these work any better or not.

I cannot do any overclocking with my AW 17r4 (w/AGA w/gtx1080ti) so I don't use anything like msi afterburner.  So I'm not sure if any of my clock speeds are down or not.  In any case, 1.34 does not seem to be causing me any performance problems.  So far so good.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • QBall3577QBall3577 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I got the update today and, now, my system is apparently not working correctly... and I just received another one last week after a lense went out 3 weeks ago. I was on it this afternoon until 430p. Came back at 730p and saw it had updated. Put the headset on... and received the glorious "Oculus isn't working correctly. Click here to check our support article" error message. That support article? not helpful at all. Did the normal trouble shooting stuff and after an hour, a lot of cursing, and severe disappointment decided to file a support ticket. Went to upload my logs but that wasn't possible because the connection kept timing out with their servers. So, lord only know if this will work tomorrow or not and if i'll actually be able to submit the ticket or not. I love VR, but these problems have been a severe disappointment.
  • wreckoning90125wreckoning90125 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    You don't have to be overclocking or using afterburner to see that your clock speeds went down. Lots of other monitoring tools will tell you that. I'm on a gtx 980 so every little bit helps until I can afford to upgrade, and then I'll sure want full utilization of my hardware. I'd just like to know why, and get an actual response from someone in support.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,294 Volunteer Moderator
    One thing to note with this gpu clock issue, it's not just dropping the clock. It's also raising it when not needed.
    Normally my 2080TI is sitting at 420MHz gpu and 405MHz memory when I'm just in desktop stuff. (I'm running msi afterburner to see this)
    Starting the oculus desktop app (but not wearing the headset, home isn't running, 0% gpu use shown in task manager) forces the clocks up to 1125MHz gpu and 6800MHz memory. This raises the gpu temperature when not doing anything 3d, mine went from 50 degrees C to 61 in a few minutes of starting the desktop app (which is still showing 0% use).

When I run a game normally, I get 1920MHz gpu and 7000MHz memory.

I tried heaven 4.0 benchmark both with and without oculus desktop running in the background.
    Score with: 3026
    Score without: 3133

GeekyGami said:
    I'm starting to wonder if it isn't FaceBook's web developers who are working on Dash
    You know, that's probably not far from the truth. Dash is made in React VR, which is a javascript and webgl framework.
    edited January 25
    Yep I just got updated to 1.34, confirmed my memory has dropped when Oculus Home launched from 7000 to 6800.

Not good @OculusSupport ! Why is your software messing with my vram speed?
    I have also reported with the provide feedback option in Oculus Desktop app. I encourage all who are having this do the same.
    Don

• misty007misty007 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    update 1.34
    critcal error occured, an oculus update may not have ........etc etc.
    every time i reboot,  oculus start updating 11 of 11......
    it is stuck and I am stuck cause I am not a pc expert.
    the last 2 updates oculus starts messing up.

any suggestions?
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    edited January 25
    https://rift.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift/suggestions/35684074-option-to-disable-limit-cpu-hungry-dash-features-f

This is the site to vote on feedback.
    Use it.

It wasn't linked anywhere obvious, so I'm linking it here.
    Specifically this feedback, because I want more people to vote on it.

https://rift.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift/suggestions/36631978-do-not-change-the-clock-speeds-of-our-components

Here's one for the clock speeds.
    Vote, vote, vote!

The reason I mention the first one is that Dash still seems to have a memory leak.

Before, it never took over 600 megs of RAM
    Now it keeps going up to above 1.4 gigs of RAM, which is honestly unacceptable for what it offers.
    I may as well forget not only about Home, but about Dash too.

Please optimize further, this isn't web dev, this is game dev. Every resource used, every tick utilized is important for an optimal experience, which is clearly not what's happening here.
    Wintermute
    misty007 said:
    update 1.34
    critcal error occured, an oculus update may not have ........etc etc.
    every time i reboot,  oculus start updating 11 of 11......
    it is stuck and I am stuck cause I am not a pc expert.
    the last 2 updates oculus starts messing up.

any suggestions?
    I believe you are still using win8.  I suggest you update to win10.  Otherwise you will continue to limit yourself to future  pcvr developments and options imho.
    edited January 25
    dburne said:
    Yep I just got updated to 1.34, confirmed my memory has dropped when Oculus Home launched from 7000 to 6800.

Not good @OculusSupport ! Why is your software messing with my vram speed?
    I have also reported with the provide feedback option in Oculus Desktop app. I encourage all who are having this do the same.
    Join/follow this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ajkt02/opening_oculus_program_decreases_my_gpu_memory/

I don't think Oculus Support monitors this forum, unfortunately, but I think they monitor Reddit.

edited January 25
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I got the forced 1.34 update today, oh boy!  Actually, after running some of my high resource demand flight sims (X-Plane 11.30, Realflight 8, and Aerofly RC8) and racing sims (Assetto Corsa) I did not notice any performance diffs (= same FPS and no stuttering).  I have not really noticed any diffs in performance since 1.31.  Home 2.0 panels seem a little bit clearer/sharper.  I don't really use Home2 dollhouse/social functions so I cannot say if these work any better or not.

I cannot do any overclocking with my AW 17r4 (w/AGA w/gtx1080ti) so I don't use anything like msi afterburner.  So I'm not sure if any of my clock speeds are down or not.  In any case, 1.34 does not seem to be causing me any performance problems.  So far so good.

It's probably less than a JND for most users unless you measure your performance (JND, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-noticeable_difference ). My main concern is that Oculus Support seems not to have read the 1.34 PTC user feedback, which more or less completely undermines the idea of having many users trying to help Oculus QA by installing PTC updates. 
    And underclocking video cards, even though the performance impact may not easily be noticed by the majority - and especially when Oculus Support should have been thoroughly infomed about this issue - doesn't provide much faith in the QA proces. I don't think it would hurt Oculus (Support) to admit some mistakes or just to state that they'll investigate the problem instead of total silence. 

If 1.34 caused great problems beside vid card underclocking, we'd probably have seen many more threads/posts in here and on Reddit - I guess 1.34 works fine for the majority of users (even with the underclocking).