cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there so many players without audio now?

TramTenn
Honored Guest
In the last few months, since the Oculus Go came out, there seems to be more players that have no audio. Why is that? Playing multiplayer games are soooo much better when you can talk to each other. I thought Oculus Go came with a microphone in the headset. 
4 REPLIES 4

abider
Explorer
Been asking this question since I started playing multiplayer games

snailofprey
Protege
Maybe because Oculus Home is an eavesdrop catastrophe and many people (like me) took counter measures. What I mean: Having a public virtual home with audio transfer to anybody joining your home, and a mechanism that starts Oculus Home in background as soon as the Rift's proximity sensor triggers (which happens often false-positive, as it is sensible), you can have just everyone -- and especially your friends -- participate in your private life. Add the fact, that Oculus Home mic settings in the social tab are not persistent and the mic is always open when you restart home, and the word "catastrophe" becomes reasonable.

Yesterday I was visiting some homes from the suggestion tab, and there were at least three people not being aware of their open mics, one talking on the phone, and a kid getting loud "information" about bed times.

Now, what do privacy aware people do? They find means to switch off their mics, more or less permanently, driven by the feeling of lacking control.

Nekto2
Superstar
Are they from other countries?

TramTenn
Honored Guest
Snailofprey, thanks for the info. I was unaware that their recent update allows for eavesdropping. I have often left Oculus app open for days at a time. i will be sure to close out after each use, especially since its in our main living area.

Nekto2, no, the players appear in the USA regions games.