New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"poor tracking quality" with 6ft usb 3.0 extension?

Moto13kMoto13k Posts: 25
Brain Burst
edited January 28 in Oculus Rift + Touch
With one of my sensors, i have a random "poor tracking quality" message when using a 6ft amazon basics usb 3.0 extension. Is there another brand of cable i should be using instead?  From what i read, i thought a 6ft usb extension would be no problem, but i guess that is not true. This sensor works fine when not using the extension. My third sensor which is on usb 2.0 with the bundled usb 2.0 ext cable works fine as well.

GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 | [email protected] | Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR3 1866MHz | MSI GTX 1080 Duke | Samsung Evo 860 500GB

Comments

• Ben10_Ben10_ Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Try making sure that the headset and controllers are in the view of ALL of the sensors
  • Moto13kMoto13k Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    will do, someone else mentioned the same thing.  Thanks
    GIGABYTE GA-Z97-HD3 | [email protected] | Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB DDR3 1866MHz | MSI GTX 1080 Duke | Samsung Evo 860 500GB

• GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 437
    Trinity
    edited January 28
    Is your extension an "active" or "passive" extension? (If there is no mention of active or passive, it's probably a passive one). 

Active USB extenders are always recommended, as passive extensions do not support the power needed to carry the sensor's signal reliably. Some passive 6ft usb extensions work (I've tried one and it worked ok, but I can't say it was as reliable as my 15ft active extension cables that I use now), but it's a gamble as not all cables are created equally and having a passive cable will then rely on your motherboard to give the extra power necessary.

As @Ben10_ also said though, if the sensor cannot see the HMD, it will sometimes give this "poor tracking quality" message. If this is the case, then having the HMD within the sensor's range should get rid of the "poor tracking quality" message.

EDIT: An additional note: the bundled USB 2.0 extension cable with the Rift sensor is an Active USB extension cable.
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • Moto13kMoto13k Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    FWIW, this is a passive extension.  i've read active are generally not needed for cables less than 8-10 ft.   

i'm still seeing the warning here and there, but with no side effects.  so i guess i'll leave things as is for now.