New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Didn't know HDR for PC gaming was so difficult to setup?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,514 Valuable Player
I was looking to get a HDR television this year, but after reading this it seems like it's a nightmare to setup. Anyone else had problems setting HDR up in games with Windows 10?

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/27/hdr-setup-explainer/?guccounter=1

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 975
    3Jane
    edited January 29
    For gaming it's not bad to setup. I've played several 4k HDR games with no problem on my gtx 1080. It's come a long way from what it was in the beginning but the experience definitely varies from GPU to GPU and TV to TV.
    Getting videos to play in HDR is still kind of a pain. I just use Edge for it with little problem though but it sucks that I have to use Edge lol. Only about 80 games have HDR now on PC so it's still pretty limited and there's also some pretty bad implementation of it in some games where the colors are all washed out or weird looking or too dark etc. When it does work well though it's pretty amazing. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,702 Valuable Player
    yeah it is such a shame that console HDR is - in general - much superior to PC, esp in the user friendly stakes.

on my ps4pro i just turn it on and of in the menu and it just works. no faffing.

i have still not played a pc game with it yet, and had to disable it on my windows desktop as it was so washed out
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 350
    Trinity
    ^^This, i also gave up on HDR on W10, it works and looks fantastic on the XBX but on the PC when switched on it looks all weird colour wise and washed out, yet on the console it is eye popping with no hassle at all, so i just leave it off on the PC as well.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,514 Valuable Player
    Yes, there was me thinking PC would just be like the Playstation Pro or XBox X, I didn't know that PC HDR had such problems until reading about it today.
    3Jane
    The desktop washout was mostly fixed, so if you haven't tried it in the last few months try it again. It used to be horrendous and I'd have to turn it off after playing games every single time. I leave it on most of the time now but there are a few problematic games with bad implementation that I've had to force it off in windows. Overall, It's definitely not there yet on PC but it's steadily improving. It's still a nice to have feature at this point and not mandatory yet. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    Interestingly i was trying to get it working myself last weekend. I still get a very blue washed out look with windows 10 desktop bt as far as i'm aware windows doesn't properly support HDR its a fake HDR. Most games i try have the HDR setup with paper white & max white. If i turn paper white right down & then max to 3000 it look ok but nothing amazing. TBH my monitor has a great picture in standard mode but still i want it to work. 

I contacted tech support for my monitor for advice & they have offered to replace my screen but for now i would rather try & get it working with the one i have rather than have to return it. 
    3Jane
    edited January 29
    nrosko said:
    Interestingly i was trying to get it working myself last weekend. I still get a very blue washed out look with windows 10 desktop bt as far as i'm aware windows doesn't properly support HDR its a fake HDR. Most games i try have the HDR setup with paper white & max white. If i turn paper white right down & then max to 3000 it look ok but nothing amazing. TBH my monitor has a great picture in standard mode but still i want it to work. 

I contacted tech support for my monitor for advice & they have offered to replace my screen but for now i would rather try & get it working with the one i have rather than have to return it. 
    Ah that sucks. A few months back before they updated it it, it was god awful and completely unusable for me outside of gaming, but it's fine now. 

There's some suggestions Microsoft put out here you can try. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    pyroth309 said:
    nrosko said:

Ah that sucks. A few months back before they updated it it, it was god awful and completely unusable for me outside of gaming, but it's fine now. 

There's some suggestions Microsoft put out here you can try. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings
    Looks like my windows is not up to date, it looks different to that setup. I just did a manual update check & its downloading something. Hopefully this will fix it.