cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Godrays and glare

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had a rift since since late 2017. The first one suffered from 'green tint' which still to this day I believe is a manufacturing fault (Google green tint oculus).  As I ordered from Amazon, I got a replacement straightaway. Unfortunately, the replacement also suffered from the same problem. After reading the Reddit forums, I edited a registry key (SPUD fix) which resolved the issue.  However, I noticed the second unit had increased god rays and glare compared to the first unit.

I haven't used the rift since the original purchase, until now....  I've noticed how unbelievably bad the god rays and glare are compared to the Go or PSVR.  I'm talking night and day differences, so much that my experience is spoilt in some games.  The games which are most affected are very dark games e.g. Red Matter is a good example. I tried to calibrate the unit via the oculus tool to no avail.

I'm sure if there was some way to control the contrast/brightness/gamma in the rift, this would go a long way to mitigate the effects.  Does anyone have anyone else have extreme god rays/glare in their rift? Are some units better than others?

As I'm in the EU, I'm entitled to a 2 year warranty and I'm debating whether I should RMA the unit.
6 REPLIES 6

kzintzi
Trustee

ruskie666 said:

I've had a rift since since late 2017. The first one suffered from 'green tint' which still to this day I believe is a manufacturing fault (Google green tint oculus).  As I ordered from Amazon, I got a replacement straightaway. Unfortunately, the replacement also suffered from the same problem. After reading the Reddit forums, I edited a registry key (SPUD fix) which resolved the issue.  However, I noticed the second unit had increased god rays and glare compared to the first unit.

I haven't used the rift since the original purchase, until now....  I've noticed how unbelievably bad the god rays and glare are compared to the Go or PSVR.  I'm talking night and day differences, so much that my experience is spoilt in some games.  The games which are most affected are very dark games e.g. Red Matter is a good example. I tried to calibrate the unit via the oculus tool to no avail.

I'm sure if there was some way to control the contrast/brightness/gamma in the rift, this would go a long way to mitigate the effects.  Does anyone have anyone else have extreme god rays/glare in their rift? Are some units better than others?

As I'm in the EU, I'm entitled to a 2 year warranty and I'm debating whether I should RMA the unit.

good luck with the 2 year warranty - I tried that and bounced (live in AU, and devices over $900 are supposed to have it too, but no dice)
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Anonymous
Not applicable
No problem on mine. Maybe age will make it lessen after attracting some grime and using some polish in moderation may help. The game you use may be calmed to suit e.g. in E:D I use a BlueHUD which requires Gamma at 90% and brightness to 40% along with Bloom on High or Medium only. By contrast with the same settings on  default OrangeHUD it's frigging awful and glary!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I don't think God rays are an issue in games, at least not in the games I've tried. I don't think you should bother going through the hassle of sending it back as I doubt the next one would be any different.

I think you should either keep it or sell it as it doesn't sound like Rift is for you. Maybe you should buy an Oculus Quest once that gets released or wait for Rift CV2 which will have better lenses with reduced god rays.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the comments. Just wanted to see if other people have the same issues or there is something I could do to mitigate the issues. I will try and take some shots with my phone.  Strangely, when I took a photo last time, it didn't look as bad!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
That is because like the rest of us you are getting used to them lol 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kzintzi
Trustee
to be honest, I get god rays (and a limited FOV) in normal life - I wear glasses constantly, and I only notice the frames, dust, scratches and so on if someone points it out (like now - I can see the frames in my field of view, but otherwise I don't really see them)
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.