New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My rift has an intermittent black screen

SirArgonSirArgon Posts: 9
NerveGear
edited February 5 in Support
 hi everyone ,I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. I doesn't always happen while in startup. It will have maybe 3 time in 1 minute which the it would last about 3 seconds.  The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. I love vr but this problem makes it so difficult to play any help will be appreciate. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SirArgonSirArgon Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited February 5
    I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. any help will be appreciate.
    NerveGear
    edited February 5
    I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. any help will be appreciate.
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 344 Oculus Staff
    SirArgon said:
     hi everyone ,I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. I doesn't always happen while in startup. It will have maybe 3 time in 1 minute which the it would last about 3 seconds.  The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. I love vr but this problem makes it so difficult to play any help will be appreciate. 

Hey SirArgon, if you're getting intermittent black screens, try removing the headset cable and re-connecting it. You'll need to remove the facial interface first in order to remove the cable. Instructions on removing the cable are available here https://support.oculus.com/1114691701909297 . While you have the headset cable removed, check to see if any of the pins appear bent or damaged. If you're using any kind of adapters or extenders with your headset then try connecting directly to your PC. Also, check in the Device Manager to make sure none of the USB power management settings are enabled. If you're still having issues, please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you out. Thanks! -Rick

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 5
    I have merged all 3 threads into one and placed in Support category.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    sorry about all the other discussions I don't know how to delete them so thank you LZoltowski. I don't have any adapters and the cable looks fine no pins are bent or damaged. I have tried moving the ports around and it still no luck. I have done the power management and no luck. Any other suggestions? 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    Is this a new Rift? If it's old and well used it could be the cable bend. Try moving that section of the cable whilst wearing the headset to see if it's loose or broken inside.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • DeathThekid245DeathThekid245 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am having the exact same issue, intermittent black screens. I have rolled back my PC, even did a hard reset. I have contacted customer support. The initial response was some basic troubleshooting, my logs  and to try it on a computer that is on their list(thought that was crazy, but doable).  I accomplished all request from them, with my Oculus producing the same results each time. I sent them this information and the response I recieved was "your PC isn't an Oculus certified PC". I had already tested it on an Oculus Certified PC with the same results, intermittent black screens, per first email they sent me. Oculus customer support told me I should buy a new PC after explaining to them I was able to duplicate my error on one of their suggested PC's, it seemed like a stall email more than any sort of usable response. I am attempting to resolve here and through a customer support, that so far has made me feel nothing like a customer, let alone a valued one.This is before seeing what my next steps are.This has been an awful experience. I am only 3 months into my warranty. I like the equipment, but so far my customer support has made me retract my statement to friends to buy one and is causing me to question a refund and product change. This sucks because I felt like it was such a worthwhile purchase. I've listed below a few stats about my factory built laptop, but be aware I have tested it on a PC that 100% qualifies as one of their recommended ones,,with the same error. Please help. Thanks.
    Msi 17.3" GTVR laptop
    I7 -7820 processor
    Nvidia GTXi 1080gtx 8 gddr5x
    1tb 7200rpm+ 256gb ssd
    DdR4 16gb
    Windows 10 64bit
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited February 5
    @SirArgon - Roll back to the Nvidia driver that worked, if there's no black screens after doing this then you know it's the updated driver causing the problem. I use an older Nvidia driver because I've had problems with updated Nvidia drivers before.

@DeathThekid245 - Do the same thing try an older Nvidia driver, but in your case it sounds like you could have a faulty Rift given you've tried it on another comp. But try a different driver non the less in case they both had the same Nvidia driver installed. 

Do either of you use an Hdmi extension lead because they are a pain and can cause black screens. You have to make sure you get the correct one and that's it's 3 meters or less I believe..
    NerveGear
    ResPizla thanks for the suggestion I will try it and let y’all know if it works 
    NerveGear
    I had it since last July and the problem started about November and i checked the cable and it seems it’s working fine 
    edited February 5
    SirArgon said:
    ResPizla thanks for the suggestion I will try it and let y’all know if it works 

No problem, but I do prefer to be called RedRizla and not ResPizla. Sounds like something you would do on the toilet Respizla :D
    NerveGear
    my bad RedRizla lol 
    NerveGear
    ok so it wouldn't let me roll back the drivers for it but I might just get a new hdmi cable for it and see if it works 
    edited February 5
    Then just download and install the older Nvida driver. If your Rift worked before you updated the Nvidia driver then the chances are it's that particular Nvidia driver. Either that or the updated Nvidia driver didn't install correctly and became corrupt.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,149 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 5
    Hi @SirArgon I'm curious, are there any consistencies in the behaviour? you mentioned that it starts to happen after a while.

I've been experiencing a similar issue which started about a week ago. Headset is fine for 5-10 minutes then (ie after its warmed up) there are brief intermittent blackouts at roughly 2-3 minute intervalls but sometimes the intervalls are much longer.

I noticed it happens for me predominantly when a turn of the head is initiated, in this case, to the right. I checked the usual things such as connections and cable damage but cable manipulation doesn't initiate the fault so Im pretty sure the fault is with an internal component.

I've had my headset since day one and figure it's had upwards of 500 hours of moderately gentle use. I'm not really complaining too much, just a little disapointed. How many hours do you think you've had out of yours?

At the moment I can just about live with it but I think before too long I'll have to decide whether to buy a replacement. I just wish we knew when CV2 was likely to arrive as that would help me decide!
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
  • DeathThekid245DeathThekid245 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Redrizla, First thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it. I actually did rolled back my driver after doing a hard reset on my PC. It's going to be the headset. I'm just going to follow their process with reasonable diligence to prove it to customer support. It's gonna be worse than being a mosquito with a blood allergy. Fortunately the only thing stopping me from being right is time.Thanks again
    @DaftnDirect ; It's a real pain not hearing anything about Oculus 2, if you have a headset that's faulty and Oculus offering no repairs. I think it's safe to say though that Oculus 2 won't be out until Christmas of this year at the earliest and is probably be going to be out sometime in 2020. This means you will have a year to wait at the very least.

Yeah that's my thinking too @RedRizla , the only silver lining being the Quest maybe showing up before long now and that's something I was intended to get regardless.

Anyway, I've just finished a session in Fallout and the blackouts are now bad enough to put an end to my VR fun for this headset. it's given me loads of fun over the last 3 years so I have to say thankyou Oculus!

The question is now how long can I go without PCVR?

How long could you guys go without PCVR?????

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.418)
    edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect -  I've had intermittent black screens before and it turned out my hdmi extension lead was to long with not enough juice going to the headset. I then had them because of a faulty hdmi lead and once through an Nvidia driver. Have you tried using dvi to hdmi connector to test if that works, or a different hdmi port? 

I don't think I could wait over a year, but I could wait until F8 to see what Oculus say about Oculus 2. I still think where over a year out though at the very least, so I'd get a refurbished Oculus PC VR headset.

Take a look at what this guy did, if it helps..

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/66166/constant-intermittent-blackouts-and-game-crashes
    edited February 6

Both my screens are blacking out together. As it's gotten worse there have also been a few occasions now with grey-outs instead, with the grey including black & red noise, evenly distributed, again these are brief but now the blackouts are happening too often to live with.

I'm not using any extensions and I've taken a lot of care over the cable, which I'd say is in as-new condition pretty much. The headset's never been dropped or knocked that I can remember either and, as I use it almost exclusively seated, the cable hasn't really ever been twisted.

As it's happening only after the headset warms up, and can be cured by unplugging... waiting a while and plugging in again, I'm quite confident it's not an internal connection issue either... more like a tired capacitor or other similar component on the power management circuitry.

edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect - Sorry I changed my post about circuitry and saw you replied already. Yes, in your case it sounds like it's on the mainboard because the ribbon cables for the displays are separate and go to the mainboard. Did you try a different port on you computer though? Like trying dvi with a hdmi connector? just in case it's that particular port playing up on your computer?

Have you tried the headset on another computer if you have one? Try simple things like re-seating you graphics card too, or maybe a faulty PSU causing it. Just so many things can go wrong with computers that's the problem :)

I'm keeping hold of this computer when I build another just for testing purposes. When you've tested something on another computer and the same thing happens then you know for sure it's the device playing up..

edited February 6
    Nope I haven't looked into port option, purely because it seems to happen when particular head movements happen... that in itself may suggest something other than discrete component problems but I think definitely it's an issue inside the headset. I'll give different ports a go though just to eliminate everything... and in case it's a combinations of things.
    edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect Yeah, try re-seating your graphics card too, installing the driver again and re-running the Oculus setup. That's what I'd do as a final test..

edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect

Thinking about it. I'm not sure why moving your head to the right would cause something on the mainboard itself to malfunction. I can understand the capacitor theory though getting hot, but you say it's mainly with movement? Is this quick movements to the right or slow movements too? Could be the hdmi port on the headset itself..

That's the problem really, it's gentle movement and just at the very instant that the movement begins... but not all the time and at the same time I can shake my head wildly and no problems! Each time it's the same brief interruption of about a second, very consistent in that regard.

I think I'd need to know a lot more about the internals to really have a clue as to what the most likely cause is. A problem with an electronic gyro maybe? Like I say, I'm clueless... it just doesn't behave quite like a connector issue.

edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect - Yeah, it does sound a bit of a strange one. You could contact Oculus support, but I don't think they'll be clued up on something like that and will probably just say you need a new Rift. What does the hdmi port look like on the headset? Does it look all alright? Like you say, you probably need to know more about the inner workings too, like with the gyro which is for movement and if it would make the screen go black..
    @RedRizla I agree with you, maybe I'll try support but like you, I m not optimistic with that! I think this is well within the terratory of an out of warranty replacement. I really appreciate your thoughts though, cheers mate.
    I've looked at the connections and pins by the way and all, looks fine.

Anyway I don't want to hijack the thread too much... I'd be interested to hear more from the OP and if his poblem has any similarities to mine... or anyone else with this issue.
    edited February 6
    @DaftnDirect - One final thought could be a faulty graphics card when you talk about gray screens now. The graphics card could become affected by movements happening on screen. This happened to me on a monitor once with a faulty Graphics card, where movement on screen caused it to black out and turn gray. This was before I even had VR, so it's worth taken a look at..

I hadn't thought about that, my monitor stays active during the problem but could possibly be port related like you said before, I'll check it out the next time I'm it the PC... it's the movement to the right and not the left that's still got me thinking headset rather than GPU though but I really should discount everything else before visiting the Oculus store page, it's such a shame they don't sell headsets only.

I'm going to go VR cold turkey for a couple weeks, maybe the headset will magically be just fine after that.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    Did you actually bite the bullet @DaftnDirect ;and order a replacement HDMI cable just to be sure? Expensive I know, but as an online purchase you could return if it does not fix your issue no?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.