New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Asgard's Wrath Trailer - Looks Awesome

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
edited February 5 in General
Forget comparisons to Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy for a moment, Asgard's Wrath looks pretty sweet.

Become the next great Asgardian god as you immerse yourself in the legendary world of Norse mythology. Sharpen your swordplay and bring your own fighting style into the fray with next-level combat depth. Possess different classes of mortal heroes, solve larger-than-life puzzles, and transform animals into warrior companions that you lead into battle.

This is the deep action-adventure you’ve been waiting for, with over 30 hours of gameplay.

Answer the call, Asgardian. God-scale VR awaits!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,780 Valuable Player
    edited February 5
    I was just about to make a similar thread - I gotta be faster!  :D

It's made by the team behind Marvel Powers United (Sanzaru Games), but this time with focus on singleplayer:

"In Asgard's Wrath, you’ll battle as a mortal and rise as a god in a Norse-inspired action adventure with a heavy helping of RPG elements. And it‘s coming to Rift in 2019."
    Source: https://www.oculus.com/blog/announcing-asgards-wrath-the-latest-from-oculus-studios/

"Asgard's Wrath hopes to bring a full, uncompromised action journey to the Oculus Rift with a full-length campaign, side quests, boss battles, and more steeped heavily in Norse mythology."
    Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/05/asgards-wrath-is-virtual-realitys-promising-new-step

2019 could truly be an awesome year for VR!
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,130 Valuable Player
    I'm going to be all over this! I love anything to do with the Norse, Celtic, Roman or Greek gods.

Got me in trouble at school lol. I went to a Roman Catholic school and in one of my essays I wrote that it made more sense to believe in a polytheist religion than a monotheist religion. It didn't go down too well and I had to have a meeting with the Priest that did all of their superstitious worshipping nonsense. Let's just say he didn't convince me that he was talking any sort of sense at all lol :D :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,311 Valuable Player
    Dang, and here I was convinced that all those rumors about Oculus "shelving" the Rift was true. Whoopsy!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,249 Valuable Player
    Yeah, I saw the blog post yeasterday. Looks like a cool game, I like the fact that you can change scale between human and god-size. Sounds awesome!
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB

The game is just now placed in the "Coming Soon" section in the Oculus Store. That was a bit of a surprise - at least I've never heard of the game before this week, and then it's arriving in a short time?

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1180401875303371/

I do hope the game is awesome and that the press has enough time to cover the game - awesome VR games can't get enough publicity!

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Coming in July apparently!

Says Coming Soon 07/2019.

I'm going to be all over this and as I'm playing I'm going to be sticking two fingers up at Father Farmer and the now defunct Holy Cross RC School lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    Coming in July apparently!

Says Coming Soon 07/2019.

I'm going to be all over this and as I'm playing I'm going to be sticking two fingers up at Father Farmer and the now defunct Holy Cross RC School lol :D

Ok, that kinda makes sense - but 5 months from now, is that soon? Really?

Like going to the pub and saying to the wife, "I'll be home soon" :D

Glad that it's a single player game, there aren't anywhere near enough single player VR games around imo.

I'll just take a nap to reduce the waiting time for the game - please wake me up soon, thanks!

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 860
    3Jane
    Looks awesome! Can't wait! :)
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,066
    Wintermute
    nalex66 said:
    snowdog said:
    ...I'm going to be all over this and as I'm playing I'm going to be sticking two fingers up at Father Farmer and the now defunct Holy Cross RC School lol :D
    I read that wrong the first time, and was shocked and mystified about what you were planning to do to Father Farmer. :o
    me too :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,630
    Project 2501
    Life is good!
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 260
    Nexus 6
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,705 Volunteer Moderator
    Just in time for the Rift-S :) Woohoo! Looks fracking fantastic, just my type of game.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,284 Valuable Player
    Rift S? When is that supposedly releasing?

Must prepare wallet...

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Rift S? When is that supposedly releasing?

Must prepare wallet...

I'd put money on November this year or Spring next year.

• AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 11
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-teases-asgards-wrath-combat-dismemberment/

Lots of animated gifs showing combat features. I think it's starting to look really good, I wasn't that excited at first but wow. It looks like the perfect compromise between Blade & Sorcery's full physics and a more easily digestible gamey ruleset. Sweet. They seem to be releasing such stuff often enough, going by that site's "related articles" things which are yet more gifs. I guess there must be some official twitter they're getting these from or something. Cool anyway.

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,719 Valuable Player
    edited March 12
    They've gone against the current norm, and aren't using lag/delay to simulate weapon weight, and thus combat wrist cheese. 
    They say they've got other mechanisms in place, but let's see how they hold up. 

EDIT: Oh, and no two handed weapons at all.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 12
    I don't think it's the "norm", plenty games don't do it like Blade & Sorcery, even the recent Shadow Legend which most people seem to like. It has basic systems to not allow spam as you really can only damage them a little bit after every parry or when they're not blocking and they quickly revert to block plus you need to pay attention to their own swings to parry so you don't keep attacking mindlessly anyway. I wouldn't call it ideal in Shadow Legend but it works alright, parrying in particular feels decent enough. Asgard's Wrath looks a ton better than that though. Oh and they don't have to simulate weight and have weapons lag behind your real movements to have wrist cheese or whatever not work. I don't know if they will do that or not, but they can check for the weapon's arc quite easily to ensure it's a full swing (maybe after a calibration process to check for your arm length) and not just a waggle. We'll see how it works in the end but it looks quite good so far, neither Shadow Legend levels of weightlessness nor Blade & Sorcery's full sim stuff which aren't necessarily fun for all (and which you can still cheese in plenty ways even if you don't use the slow motion except when it overwhelms you with too many opponents).

I like Blade & Sorcery myself but wish there were more weapons that didn't have a delay, like the dagger, a shortsword at least if it would make the longswords too overpowered. Even taking an arrow out has lag which makes no sense as it should be lighter than even the dagger. They could still make it follow your movements exactly and simply not do a lot of damage, or even no damage at all, if you aren't doing a full and fast enough swing at your opponent (and have it lag then as it would stop on their armor and not go through, but that's different to regular movement lag, I do like the interactions of the weapons with the bodies and such). And it doesn't simulate a faster downward swing either, as if a two handed sword going down wouldn't get faster after the highest point and then even slower when you raise it, etc. Other weapons like the spear are slower than they should be too, I can't even throw it very well because of it even though I used to javelin throw in school. Most people seem to adjust the physics settings to get the weapons to their liking but I haven't tried that. Anyway, the easiest cheese for me with default settings is to wait for an opponent to ready a swing and do a speedy thrust while also moving forward with an one handed sword.

Anyway the pull of this is that it's gonna be a full progressive experience with that kind of combat and other aspects, not just arena fights like Blade & Sorcery. So basically something like Skyrim (probably not open world like that though so maybe closer to say, Arx Fatalis in VR with extended weapon based combat vs Arx's focus on cool Magic) but made for VR I guess.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 985
    3Jane
    Yea this looks pretty sick. Definitely looking forward to it. The best swordplay game I've played so far was the old Sword Master VR and I had a blast with it but I've skipped out on all the others except for Gorn though. I'm probably going to give Tales of Glory and Blade & Sorcery a go now. 
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,567 Valuable Player
    Always fascinated by the mechanics game devs come up with, especially when trying to solve a problem like VR melee combat.  Also, this game just looks awesome in general.

Now, what was that about "turning animals into warrior companions"?

Anxiously awaiting the Rift-S.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,538 Valuable Player
    When is this available?