New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Should I get the i5 or the i7 for my VR needs?

MediasaurMediasaur Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited February 5 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
G'day mates, I am in need of a new CPU for my PC as my current APU (lord forgive me) is just not cutting it. Money is definitely an important factor in my decision for a new CPU, preferably a CPU under £300-350. I am currently considering the new i5-8600k with 6 cores, 6 threads and a base clock of 3.6GHz. I'm no expert on computer parts and have been frequenting VR discussions about which CPU to buy but I always get the same thing which is 50% i5 and 50% i7 users all contradicting each other's claims about what VR needs most from a rig. I've heard i7's are basically essential for this due to their ability to handle physics in games much better than an i5, which i'm sure is true. But then there's people contradicting that with claims about how i5's do just as good a job in almost all cases. So now i'm a little stuck, I believe an i5 would be a great choice for me as it seems great value for something very close to an i7. The kind of VR games I'm planning on playing are Beat Saber (which runs pretty alright on a good day but most days has tracking issues and sabers passing through blocks like wtf), VRChat (which runs like hell with more than 15+ people in most rooms) and Rec Room. Future proofing and streaming aren't the biggest things on my mind either so i'm not freaked about that rn. Any advice would be great as I just need an answer after all my research, btw I'm also aiming for 45-90 fps, I'm not an fps freak tho... thanks!  :)

My Current Rig:
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
APU: AMD A10-7850k Radeon R7 @ 3.6GHz aka the problemo
RAM: DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) will upgrade
Motherboard: GA-F2A78M-D3H will upgrade
Windows 10 64 bit
HMD: Oculus Rift CV1 /w touch controllers
x 2 sensors

I also should have mentioned that I am likely to use discord simultaneously while playing.
Tagged:

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,668 Valuable Player
    I'd go with an i7, but if money is a problem then there's nothing wrong with an i5. 
  • GATOxVoSGATOxVoS Posts: 440
    Trinity
    edited February 5
    The main (arguably the only) difference between the i5-8600k and the i7-8700k is Hyper-Threading, and whether or not this will be of benefit to you will be highly-dependent on the ability of the game/application to take advantage of this feature. I'm not close to VR developers so I do not know whether they choose to develop their games around the Hyper-Threading tech, but my guess would be no (TL;DR it's not best practice with the current consumer base to do so).

Based on the info you've given, playing VR games and using Discord should be fluid on a 8600k.

Also, coming from a person who has a 4-Core/8-Thread 6700k CPU that does plenty fine in VR, the 6-core/6-thread 8600k CPU will be great for it, and I would try and put the saved funds into a new GPU if you can. 
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
    16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    850W Corsair HX850 PSU
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    edited February 5
    You can't go past the fact that Oculus RECOMMENDED Spec is i5 not i7. You can spend money endlessly on PC's but you don't need to.
    Oculus also said the hardware spec would not change for the life of the Rift.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,033 Valuable Player
    Get an i5. You don't need an i7 for VR.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    Agreed. i5 is all you need. 
  • MediasaurMediasaur Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the advice fellow gamers, think imma settle on the i5.