New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Video codec change?

chris_holtchris_holt Posts: 2
NerveGear
i have previously recorded game play video on the Go and could view it on my PC no probs. All of sudden, it appears that one can no longer view video on the PC that has been recorded on the Go. It says something along the lines of Codec not recognised. What gives?

Comments

• ruud3DVruud3DV Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, video recordings (in VideoShots) can be played on the Oculus Go itself, but when copied to PC or Mac the file can't be played. How can this be fixed?
  • EldonVREldonVR Posts: 14 Oculus Start Member
    same, emailed oculus dev support, waiting for reply
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 148
    Art3mis
     There are quite a few video formats that Windows doesn't support without additional codec support. You can get those for free here https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
  • EldonVREldonVR Posts: 14 Oculus Start Member
    Interesting info ohgrant. But the weird part it is I was able to record and view on PC before (around middle of January) and suddenly couldn't anymore just like the chris_holt
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    edited February 8
     Not sure what changed on that, what is the extension? .mp4, .AVI.... if you changed something as far as compression of the file that may have done it. Possibly there was an update that changed it to a different format to conserve room. It seems unlikely it is a problem. Possible that message could be because of corrupt or incomplete data, but I highly doubt it. Compression codec make it possible to reduce the size of the file and still keep it original quality. Kind of like being zipped.

Edit: I'm new to Windows 10 and just finishing up getting my stuff installed, including codecs. If you have Win 10, it should give you the option to download the single codec you need if it is available at the Windows store. I had to just get the Mpeg2 decoder for a file. Windows media player downloaded it for free bur I had to enter my PIN
  • noemisnoemis Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    edited February 13
    Yep, same here: I sometimes capture videos directly on the oculus go and never had problems. I was glad to hear, that recently also audio is recorded. I tried it yesterday, but video capture seem to be broken:
    - all new video are named: com.oculus.vrshell-20190212-111926.mp4 - just date is changing. Before the filename has the app name in it
    - the videos don't playback on windows/linux (vlc, etc...)
    - in oculus gallerie they have no length and no thumbnail (but for some reason the playback works)
    - I tested this with my own apps... but also with for example "Art Plunge" from the store
    The normal "support" recommended to load the battery (ha ha ha), connect to wifi (ha ha ha) and some other senseless options. And yes: I tried a factory reset (which includes getting logged out) and... it doesn't helped. After this it's even not possible to start a record during an app. After selecting video capture in pause menu it resumes to the app, but not record dot appears and not file is written.
    When I start the record in the menu (without open app) the record starts and I can start an app, but again, the file can not be played back on Desktop.
    So please @oculus... try your new video capture feature and fix the bugs.
    Or Do I (and other developers) have to update the sdk in the app to get it working again?
    best regards
    Simeon
    Brain Burst
    EldonVR said:
    same, emailed oculus dev support, waiting for reply
    Me too. wrote to the dev support and linked this thread
    Brain Burst
    the support wrote me some minutes ago: "...Our engineering team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. Once there is progress, we will be sure to let our developer community know."

Let's see.
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 173 Oculus Staff

Hey there, we've identified the root cause of the issue with the captured video on the Oculus Go. This issue should be addressed in a future update. We currently don't have an ETA for the update but as a temporary workaround, please try disabling WiFi on your headset after you finish recording and restart the headset. After it restarts, please try playing the video on your PC. Thanks! -Rick

Brain Burst
    I tried your workaround a few times... one of 10 tries I had luck, but this takes too much time for me. Currently we're not able to work in the same pipeline we're used to: sending small videos from the progress our app. This is very annoying, especially after an update, which should make things better. And this happens again again. No matter if the updates come from microsoft, adobe or oculus... there seem no big company in the world, which test's their updates with real scenarios before roll out. If they would, such issues won't happen.  :/
    Brain Burst
    Today I got an update on my Oculus Go:

Version: 3.58.5.140881727
    Runtime Version: 3.11.8.140481870

The app performance is better. But the still the video capture seem broken. First try was sucessful, but the second again could not be played back on a windows machine. No thumbnail.
  • fariazzfariazz Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    I'm experiencing this same problem. Have tried the wifi workaround but didn't work for me.
    Virtual Reality Mini-Degree - Learn to code in Unity and build 15 VR games and experiences
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 173 Oculus Staff
    fariazz said:
    I'm experiencing this same problem. Have tried the wifi workaround but didn't work for me.

Hey fariazz, if you're having issues with the playback of captured videos on the Oculus Go, please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you out.Thanks! -Rick

fariazz said:

Hey fariazz, if you're having issues with the playback of captured videos on the Oculus Go, please contact support at https://support.oculus.com so we can help you out.Thanks! -Rick

Thanks for your response, I have opened a ticket.
    Virtual Reality Mini-Degree - Learn to code in Unity and build 15 VR games and experiences
    The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)

Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    fariazz said:
    The following solution, based on what customer support suggested to me, worked for me on Windows, using the command-line and having ADB installed and configured:

adb pull /sdcard/oculus/VideoShots/file-you-want.mp4

Files are copied correctly (with duration etc)

thank you @fariazz. Your post was more helpful than the @OculusSupport (standard ticket and dev ticket) the last month. This workaround helped me too... and not turning off wifi and restart device (see above).
    I'm glad this helped! Just to make it clear, customer support suggested using `adb pull` to me, it wasn't my idea (the command they sent me had a  path that didn't work but yeah it wasn't hard to figure it out once they suggested this approach).