New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Copper WMR headset

logotomielogotomie Posts: 36
Brain Burst

2k RGB displays but no enhancement with FOV.  I hope the displays will become standard with future headset releases also from other companies. Aiming at Pro will mean a higher price point but that's fine with me.
I am getting excited, i guess there will be at least one interesting PCVR headset this year. Hope to get my hands on it at some point and if oculus does not come up with something reasonable for PCVR this year, my next investment might go to a different brand.

Comments

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,085 Valuable Player
    Looks like a OVR concept design, but just in white!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    It just looks like a CG untextured render for now ;-)
    I won't jump on it, I'll wait and see what Oculus has to offer. I love my Rift and I'm not in a hurry.
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,307
    Project 2501
    edited February 7
    kevinw729 said:
    Looks like a OVR concept design, but just in white!

I'm a white guy, if I wear that I'll become a rabbit in a snowstorm  :#

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,638 Valuable Player
    What a TERRIBLE idea for a headset. Not only is a Copper headset going to be expensive, it's also going to weigh a bloody tonne. Will look awesome though to be fair :smiley:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,085 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Will look awesome though to be fair :smiley:

When I saw this and the IDC report on the system I still expect to see an announcement from OVR that they have a part to play in it!

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,770 Valuable Player
    edited February 8
    I honestly feel like OVR should lc out cheaper models between the GO and Quest. It would make the most sense really. More people to your platform - brand name front facing look -and you have control over some aspects on what is out there. Plus you can offer small design changes and take on little risk. For example, 6 cameras instead of 4 - 2 instead of 4. Higher end screens - lower end screens - etc. Granted it would cut into your hardware sells - but they are a software platform too - meaning  they will still get a cut of the money back when customers go buy software.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,510 Valuable Player
    edited February 9
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    Will look awesome though to be fair :smiley:

When I saw this and the IDC report on the system I still expect to see an announcement from OVR that they have a part to play in it!

It looks that way in terms of design but I would be surprised if oculus officially support a winMR device. (Would be good news tho to see oculus officially endorse other products)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,832 Volunteer Moderator
    It looks like it's cameras have poor overhead coverage.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 829
    3Jane
    edited February 9
    kojack said:
    It looks like it's cameras have poor overhead coverage.

kevinw729 said:

Could these be the "Rift S" cameras uncovered in Oculus code?

Also, this quote from the OP's link ...........

"This time around, HP is owning the design of its next-gen headset from the ground up. "

........ seems a bit bold.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    We don't have any details about it, but I doubt a Rift S is going to use a two camera system instead of the 4 camera Quest system.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,307
    Project 2501
    It would be exciting news if Oculus was using such lenses and we were talking about Rift CV2:

"Confident in the clarity I’d see through Copper’s lenses, he offered up the Odyssey+ as a side-by-side comparison (currently the highest res WMR headset on the market at 1,440 × 1,600 per-eye). Indeed, Copper’s clarity blew it away.

That’s no doubt primarily driven by Copper’s 2,160 × 2,160 (per eye) displays, which have more than twice the number of pixels as the Odyssey+, and more than three and a half times as many pixels as first-gen headsets like the Rift. Looking through Copper’s lenses, sharpness is a drastic step forward over Odyssey+. And while the Odyssey+ uses a diffuser on the screen (which sacrifices some sharpness in an effort to hide the screen door effect), Copper hardly has a need for a diffuser as the pixel dense RGB-stripe displays make the screen door effect vanishingly apparent."

Then again - it would be like forcing customers to use super sampling 2.0 on all their Rift CV1 games, and apart from some crazy dudes doing such things on the Rift :blush: it probably would do nothing to help VR adoption (needing a 2080 Ti to get 90 fps in many games, and you'd really need some ASW). 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    RuneSR2 said:

Then again - it would be like forcing customers to use super sampling 2.0 on all their Rift CV1 games,

Technically, pixel density of 1.47.
    (Copper is 4.6MP per eye, rift with pixel density of 2.0 is 8.5MP per eye)

Still a bigger hit than normal, but a fair number of people run at least 1.5 density.

2160x2160 rgb stripe does sound pretty cool.