New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to migrate all of my Oculus Rift Games and Software from my OS(C:) drive to new (F:) Drive?

FalconPunch319FalconPunch319 Posts: 5
NerveGear
Recently my (C:) drive has become filled.  Consistently Game apps and the Oculus app are unable to update because there is not enough free space. No matter how much freeing up space I do on the (C:) drive this problem keeps arising.  I recently bought and installed a new 1TB SATA Drive (F:), with hopes to make it my dedicated "Games" Drive.  Before beginning the process of attempting to migrate my 100+ Giga-Bytes of games and the Oculus App to my new drive I was hoping to have a clear set of instructions on how to do so.  Unfortunately I have been unable to locate clear instructions, or any instructions created recently.  There are videos on YouTube and discussions on Reddit, but they are all dated from a few years ago.  I understand I have to back up my games before proceeding, what is the best way to do so? Am I in danger of losing my saved games? Should I use the VRbackupper tool, or is there an easier method where I don't have to use third-party tools?  Also is it as simple as backing up my games and then uninstalling and deleting the Oculus app off my (C:) drive and reinstalling it back onto my new (F:) drive? Should I move games individually and make my new install path directed at the new (F:) drive, and leave the Oculus App on the (C:) drive?  Any instructions, help, or advice would be extremely appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

TLDR: How do I move Oculus App and All of my games from (C:) drive to my new (F:) drive?

Comments

• WebMetalReeseWebMetalReese Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Honestly to save you the headache first uninstall your games using the Oculus software and then uninstall your Oculus software from your drive. Once that is done, go back and download the software the install it again on your new drive. But to be honest even if you do that Oculus will still force at least 10GB on your main drive. 
    Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 (OC'd to 3.5)
    ATI Radeon RX 580 8GB (Oc'd to 1415Mhz and Mem OC to 2100)
    G. Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (16GB)
    Asus Strix B 450-F Gaming
    Adata SSD SP900 

Still can't get Home to stop jittering
  • FalconPunch319FalconPunch319 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Thanks so much for the fast reply WebMetalReese. That does seem to me to be the simplest process.  I wouldn't mind having to keep a 10GB of games on my main drive if that's a necessity for the Oculus app to work.  Should I first backup all of my games on my new hard drive before doing the uninstall? I've read that the some games are saved and stored differently, and that I may have to copy them individually from two different locations for each game.  I'm just worried about losing progress in a few games.  As trivial as it sounds I've reached top ten on the Space Pirate Trainer leader board and I don't want to erase all of my hard work lol.  Thanks again  
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 59 Oculus Staff

Hey FalconPunch319, you can backup the content for your Oculus Rift by copying the Software folder in the Oculus app folder to a new folder. After backing up the content, uninstall the Oculus app from your C drive and install it to the new drive. To restore the content you've downloaded, just move the contents of the backed up folder into the new Oculus folder, restart the Oculus software, and click download for the content you're trying to restore. More details on backing up your content are available here https://support.oculus.com/190738628001661.You'll likely lose your saved games unless you're able to back them up separately. Where the saved games are stored will depend on each particular app. You can try checking with the developer regarding their saved game location.

To install the Oculus app to a new drive, you'll need to run the Oculus Setup file from the command line. If your OculusSeutp file is in your Downloads folder then you can run the command:

C:\Users\<Your username>\Downloads\OculusSetup /drive=F 

This should install it on your F drive. Instructions on installing the Oculus app on different drive are available here https://support.oculus.com/1142129705828091

If you're having any issues with any of the above, please feel free to contact support at https://support.oculus.com. Thanks! -Rick

NerveGear
    Thanks a lot for the instructions Rick! I'll give all of this a try when I get back home.  Just wondering though if I am on the score leader board of a game like Beat Saber, or Space Pirate Trainer, will backing up and then restoring cause me to lose my place on the board? I don't mind running through a game like SuperHot again to unlock all the levels, but I would hate to lose a top ten spot on a leader board.  Thanks so much!
  • hanneyhanney Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi there FalconPunch319 - the SPT leaderboards are split into 'online leaderboards' and 'local leaderboards'. Uninstall SPT from your computer will only affect the local leaderboards, as they're stored in the windows registry. Your entry into the online leaderboards though will not be affected.

You can see the Oculus leaderboards online here btw

• OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 59 Oculus Staff
    Thanks a lot for the instructions Rick! I'll give all of this a try when I get back home.  Just wondering though if I am on the score leader board of a game like Beat Saber, or Space Pirate Trainer, will backing up and then restoring cause me to lose my place on the board? I don't mind running through a game like SuperHot again to unlock all the levels, but I would hate to lose a top ten spot on a leader board.  Thanks so much!
    You'll likely lose the scoreboard data as well if it is just stored locally. It will depend on the particular app. You may be able to backup the data first though. I would check with the developers to see if it is possible to back it up. -Rick
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the feedback everybody! I'm going to get everything transferred over tonight.