New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Refund policy for "Early Access" products.

xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited February 9 in General
Oculus needs to have a different refund policy for "Early access" purchases. Early access implies the game will come with more content or be improved. Paying money for promise of future work should come with recourses if future work is not satifactoryly rendered.

Refund period should start after the game is first played after the update removing "early access" tag has been removed and "early access" phase duration should be limited to 1 month.

I personally purchased many early access games at high prices to later find out nothing was improved and I am left owning a bad game seemingly without any refund options.

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 836
    3Jane
    I guess you pay a price for being the "cool" guy who got it first.

"Early access" is just a marketing gimmick which seems to be working well.

xaxaxaxa said:
    Early access implies the game will come with more content or be improved

I think early access implies that you get it earlier than others.
    "Pre-release", "Beta" or "Alpha" imply that things will change.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Richooal said:
    I guess you pay a price for being the "cool" guy who got it first.

"Early access" is just a marketing gimmick which seems to be working well.

xaxaxaxa said:
    Early access implies the game will come with more content or be improved

I think early access implies that you get it earlier than others.
    "Pre-release", "Beta" or "Alpha" imply that things will change.
    Early Access is a place where users on the Oculus Store can preview playable VR experiences that are still in development.

from https://developer.oculus.com/blog/best-practices-the-dos-and-donts-of-early-access/
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,089
    Wintermute
    I don't really agree. Paying Early Access is a know risk and people should assume it. If you go that way, why not also add a bad DLC months after to justify the same refund politicy? No, no, really, it's not something possible IMHO.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,145 Volunteer Moderator
    As someone who is helping with our "early access" i disagree wirh the OP. The refund policy in place is fair. If the devs dont keep up with updates then that could be because they are not getting the feedback, bugs or requests for upgrades or improvements. I think it's a good idea and will support it always. I also like the try before you buy option and wish more games/apps did this.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 726
    3Jane
    Techy111 said:
    As someone who is helping with our "early access" i disagree wirh the OP. The refund policy in place is fair. If the devs dont keep up with updates then that could be because they are not getting the feedback, bugs or requests for upgrades or improvements. I think it's a good idea and will support it always. I also like the try before you buy option and wish more games/apps did this.

Try before you buy? Is that referring to the free weekends on games? If so, yeah I like that too, not seen one for a while though, I wish more games did this too.
    Yes totally mate plus as some devs do like Dan Church he time limits his software to give you a "feel" of things before you purchase.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,774 Valuable Player
    edited February 11
    The problem with that is that people can hack and get around that timer pretty easy - allowing someone full access to your game no problem. I mean look what happen with RE2 time demo! Less than a day it was hack:) From software side - this would be really bad idea unless you get your money from another way such as a store where you sell things from. Aka, why loot boxes are a thing now.

As for Early Access - there maybe some small changes that could happen - like the software team does have to release on a weekly bases with noted changes. Other wise, Early Access is what it is - Early Access to the game with stims to have risk.
    edited February 11
    He's been doing the same since 2015 with his DCOC software for Flyinside and we haven't noticed any real problems. If someone wants to hack then they will, sadly no one can stop that. And yes, he has his own store
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,774 Valuable Player
    edited February 11
    Techy111 said:
    He's been doing the same since 2015 with his DCOC software for Flyinside and we haven't noticed any real problems. If someone wants to hack then they will, sadly no one can stop that. And yes, he has his own store
    Yes you can - dont do it. Simply as that really.

As for his games - yes some games will be protected from it because - theyre not good games to start with. Maybe fun for some - but for others not as good. RE for example is a very pop game - forcing everyone to have a time game play would also force all players to have to do the same meaning less pop games maybe wont be touch while high pop games will be hack left and right.
  • xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited February 13
    If you need some context, I paid 45.99$ for MARVEL Powers United  game, the game is about 60GB,  It start with a 2-5 minute walk-through story mode (semi-open world) then you end up having to play in a closed space with dumb enemy poping up endlessly. 
    I do not understand how what is shown in the game can weight more than 5gb and assumed there would be an unlocking of that story mode which would be something worthy of a 47$ purchase. About 90% of comments on that game are upset people asking for refunds.

But regardless...

If "Early access" implies the game is unfinished and still has bugs. It make sense to allow people to get a refund for as long as the game is in "early access" mode or played 2+ hours.

"Early access" = Unifinished!  What if they never finish it?

It's only giving devs a pass to "it sucks but we'll fix it".  It's reducing people's expectation of what they purchased.

Where's the extra accountability for releasing garbage under the pretext of "We'll fix it later"

Oculus should remove "Early access" altogether if it can't make it mean something as we already know devs can push updates to fix bugs anytime.