New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GTX1070 & Performance - Is my setup normal?

Hey All,

So I have ventured in to the VR realm, and am in a learning process....and its a big one!. I am experiencing some problems, or at least what I percieve to be problems, but not sure.
I have reasonable graphics with my setup, which is as follows:
Intel i7-4790K CPU
Asus H-97 Pro Gamer Mobo
16GB RAM
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo GPU

Having a look at the picture in the VR environment, looks good, but I cannot help to think it looks a bit 'grainy'. Especially in the Home environment. I wear reading glasses and have tried with and without them, and it seems clearer without, so I assumed its a performance issue. When I activate the Performance HUD in the Debug Tools, it shows I am sitting in the low teens to negative headroom. I was expecting it to be a little better than that. THis is without adjusting the pixel density setting that everyone raves about as being the 'ultimate' setting.
I am just a little disillusioned about this, and have been wanting this setup mostly to do flight sims like wwar thunder and Il2. It just seems like it is a little too 'unrefined' though.
Is it me having these problems due to a setup mistake, or is it normal. If you look at this video, it seems that even on a GTX1080, there is still not the headroom expectation that I would have. 1070 looks to be similar to what I am getting. 

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• GodThor1971GodThor1971 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Buzarad, great first post. I ask a question so you try to sell me some ‘Brain Elixir’. Thanks.
    mods, over to you...
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,145 Volunteer Moderator
    He's banned mate, surprised you didn't want any brain elixir  :D as for your post, your system is more than fine. Have you tried super sampling with the Oculus tray tool to get that little bit of clarity? What you are seeing as standard is pretty normal for this round of headset mate ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
    NerveGear
    Techy, thanks. We all need a little brain elixir at some point, but I didnt ask him for it...lol.
    Ok, I see that other people have had the same problem, and I am trying to figure out how I can get the system running well enought to support longer gameplay. I was trying War Thunder last night after I posted my question, and it was running ok, but I think I need to tweak with the WT in-game graphics. When I got into a plane and was just flying around for gits n shiggles, was having a blast, but then I changed into another plane and started getting a LOT of tearing/smearing. I exited the game and noticed the GPU fan wasnt running very high, but the temp was up at 76DegC!! I dont know why, but the system was not responding to turn the fan on.
    I know its not simple to get the best out of these new fangled devices, but wish I could get it to be reliable at least....

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,145 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah agreed  do you use msi afterburner? You can set your own fan curves with percentage to activate at certain  temps. If you are into flight sims try our Flyinside Flight sim built from the ground up for VR. We have a try before you buy option  and it'll give you a good idea of how your system will work with sims.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
    NerveGear
    Appreciate the feedback. I am using the ASUS Tweak tool, and it was set to auto and was working previously. I think I found out what the problem was. My old MS Sidewinder FF2 Joystick was the root of the problem. Once I plugged that in, it causes problems. I dont know why, but I isolated it to that, so plugged in the X52 Pro and everything is working like it should. I have used the Oculus Support Debug tool and have set the Supersampling to 1.4 max, as I am not sure how bad it is affecting the GPU. I will try it at 1.5 and see what sort of results I get.. 
    I will try your sim at some point, I already have War Thunder and I am not an out-and-out simmer, I just LOVE flying around in this thing, and the added enjoyment is available when I want to shoot at stuff too...LOL.
    Thanks for the info.