New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Updated SteamVR Tracking Because ‘Beat Saber’ Players Were Too Fast: will Oculus do the same?

dan108dan108 Posts: 159
Art3mis
Valve recently updated SteamVR Tracking code to account for the speed of high-level Beat Saber players, will Oculus do the same please?

this will be very useful for echo arena too probably.

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,003 Volunteer Moderator
    The problem SteamVR had is that they imposed artificial limits on player movement speed that were below what a person can actually do. I haven't seen any evidence that Oculus is doing the exact same forced slow down as the Vive, so this fix is probably not applicable to the rift.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,452
    3Jane
    What you do want in Oculus version to be like Steam is to allow Mods & our own music library. The music gets limited and boring else I won't have it. 2 platforms of the same game really should have no differences which catch people out unaware.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 255
    Nexus 6
    kojack said:
    Playing mods works fine on the oculus version. I just added 30 new songs to it half an hour ago.
    100% Accurate.  I have custom songs in Beat Saber w/ the Oculus Store version. I'm using Beat Saber Mod Installer and Beat Drop.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

3Jane
    OK so I bought Oculus version, used the MOD Updater 2.2.3 and we can not get it to load our own mp3 Songs as they need to be downloaded. I don't get how that is classed as Custom Songs as in BoxVR we can do this and it simply calculates the beat and adds a random level to them.

One other major gripe with this is I must offset the standing area way forward so that I am actually behind the box!
    It's as though it expected me to stand where the foot marks are obviously but that means hitting the targets in beat time with our controllers not the sabre!

OK this is still Early Access but it's been a long long time now and these 2 simple things are not added nor seen as needing a fix???
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,778 Valuable Player
    They have to be ogg files.......
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,285 Valuable Player
    I hate that computers need electricity to run. Stoopid early access tech!!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    3Jane
    edited February 11
    Have I been asleep for a decade or what? Never heard of a OGG Player ever!
    So we can only add songs that Users somehow created OGGs and they placed the difficulty into these in advance?
    That would be a shit way of adding Custom Songs. BoxVR does this perfectly!
    So what's with me having to stand outside the box to hit the targets with the end of the saber rather than with my fists?
    This is one lazy game to get released and perfected by DEVS!

Thanks to @LuluViBritannia I now got my Badge for 100 LOLs ;) whether that's good or bad LOL
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 255
    Nexus 6
    edited February 11
    I use this guide and download tracks made by others.  I believe most Beat Saber users use this site to add customs tracks.

It's pretty seemless, it actually adds a new menu from within the game to browse and download tracks.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,003 Volunteer Moderator
    Ogg Vorbis has been around for 19 years. It was the "we're not going to screw you over with patents" alternative to mp3. A much superior alternative.
    (Same as PNG was the "we're not going to screw you over with patents" alternative to GIF)

Until recently, playing an MP3 file in a game required purchasing a license from Fraunhofer. OGG was created to get away from the MP3 money grab (they had fees like $0.75 per unit sold for apps that can play mp3, 2% of revenue if you stream mp3, etc).

Unity converts other audio formats into ogg by default.
    I had a hardware ogg music player back in 2005 (iRiver, so much better than ipod!)

• BADhillsBADhills Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    What you do want in Oculus version to be like Steam is to allow Mods & our own music library. The music gets limited and boring else I won't have it. 2 platforms of the same game really should have no differences which catch people out unaware.
    You can't do it even in the steam version of Beat Saber. There is no automatision for generating Beat Maps for Beat Saber yet. When you will make your own songs, you have to edit the Beatmap on your own. Or you can download a costum song.

I hope, there will be an automechanism for generating beatmaps, too.
    3Jane
    Well it would be ideal if they did the  "we're not going to screw you over with patents" by reading our MP3s just as the cheaper BeatVR manage to do. To have to copy our entire MP3 collection is not clever for space! They surely avoided paying per track !!!
    3Jane
    edited February 11
    Is there any possible way to adjust latency as does BoxVR for accuracy of hits to the centre zone?
    I do notice if I'm too fast it does not follow me which stops the workout to a degree.
    Added some songs and happy to see many KPOP in the first 100!
    KDA - POPSTARS (yet is made in 'merica)
    BLACKPINK - DUDUDU
    TWICE - LIKEY
    GIRLS GENERATION - GEE
    PSY - GANGNAM STYLE
    PSY - DADDY
    + BABYMETAL - GIMME CHOCOLATE!!!
    + 4 FATRAT - UNITY, TIME LAPSE, XENOGENESIS, MAYDAY
    + ALAN WALKER - FADED
    Amongst many Rock Classics and other crap I don't know lol ;)

If anyone could program Beats then this is the very BEST KPOP ever...
    (G)-IDLE - LATATA
    2NE1 - CRUSH, DO YOU LOVE ME, DON'T STOP THE MUSIC

BROWN EYED GIRLS - ABRACADABRA, KILL BILL
    HELLOVENUS - I'M ILL
    MOMOLAND - BAAM, BBOOM BBOOM
    RED VELVET - ICE CREAM CAKE, POWER UP, SASSY ME

SCARLET - HIP SONG
    T-ARA - BO PEEP BO PEEP, LIKE THE FIRST TIME, LOVEY DOVEY, NUMBER 9, SUGAR FREE, ROLY POLY

3Jane
    edited February 13
    WOW they already added all those I listed by RED VELVET & more, and BBOOM BBOOM & also 2NE1's COME BACK HOME. It represents how popular a genre can be which has been ignored by many country's media either by fear of the competition or via in inhouse paid backhand deals or just ignorance!
    KDA is an interesting addition being made popular by the Game Company for League Of Legions (and so this) and was recorded in America which features 2 babes from (G)-IDLE ;)