What's Your Favourite Arcade Game? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What's Your Favourite Arcade Game?

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,029 Valuable Player
And you can only choose ONE!

For me it would have to be the Star Wars game with wireframe graphics where you had to fight Tie Fighters and blow up the Death Star. The sound and music were amazing at the time and the gameplay was great.

I ALMOST opted for Track & Field, Double Dragon, Defender and Scramble but Star Wars JUST edged it! B)

The BEST thing I've ever enjoyed in an arcade wasn't a game but a Dalek you could sit in where you could move the gun and plunger and get it to scream EXTERMINATE!!! That was so awesome to play with when I was a kid. They had one at the Broadstairs arcade in the 70s.
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,136 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 17
    Discs of Tron, I put a lot of coins into an environmental version of that machine during my lunch breaks back in the 80s, in an arcade in Leicester Square when I worked near by.
    Spent a lot of time trying to write a version for the Atari ST using STOS, but that thing was hopeless, STOS I mean, not the Atari.
    I bought an original Gorf machine off a friend too, wish I still had it but the screen faded too much and I sold it.
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.388)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,412 Volunteer Moderator
    Asteroids......still love playing it to this day !!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,519 Valuable Player
    Galaga baby!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,377 Valuable Player
    1943 - I think... :)

Image result for 1943 battle of midway

1943 The Battle of Midway Euro flyer

1943 The Battle of Midway Euro Cabinet
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • bizjerbizjer Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    Gunsmoke 
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    edited February 17
    I'm with you on this one Snowdog. Atari Star Wars Arcade with the vector graphics. We had the sit down version in our arcade.  I'd love to play it again.  

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    1943. Love those types of games. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,029 Valuable Player
    Yup, we had the sit down version too but you had to hop on a bus or train from Broadstairs to get to one of the many arcades in Margate to play it. Only a couple of miles away though.

In one of the Ramsgate arcades (again, two miles away from Broadstairs) they also had this great thing that was a shooting gallery that had moving parts that sprayed water at your mates. It was a hillbilly themed thing with hillbilly mannequins and props, a great laugh.

The Broadstairs arcade was always my favourite just because of the Dalek they used to have though, even after they got rid of it.

And an honourable mention should also go to CarnEvil, an awesome on-rails shooter that they had at Broadstairs too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited February 17
    Digikid1 said:
    1943. Love those types of games. 

The two player co-op made 1943 special. If not for the co-op, then I might vote for R-Type. But I can't mention R-Type because Snowdog was very firm when stating that we may only choose one game. So of course I'd never - ever - mention R-Type in this thread  o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Feel free to mention those games that came close to being your favourite...I did so in my opening post lol :D

edited February 17
    BTW, using MAME and a large TV, I think the height of the TV corresponds well to the original CRT turned 90 degrees.

Some old photos: 

photo DSC_0223_zpsp2ngurscjpg

photo DSC_0229dfg_zpsk6slanmgjpg

photo DSC_0240_zpsy0enk2fsjpg

photo DSC_0241_zps5xw9qq8ljpg

photo DSC_0253_zpsinfigjnmjpg

photo DSC_0255_zpsfg0i8pwcjpg

photo DSC_0261_zpsbtojzxnkjpg

photo DSC_0300_zps4hje0djdjpg

photo DSC_0266_zpsq4zytcqfjpg

photo DSC_0286_zpsuemuq5g6jpg

photo DSC_0293_zpstdnp3953jpg

photo DSC_0302_zpse03zroucjpg

photo DSC_0246_zpslpjusq0rjpg

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
     Speaking of Arcade games. In my opinion the VR game Operation Warcade has a brilliant way of making me feel like I'm actually going to the arcade. Love the gameplay in that one. Great concept for a VR game. Would love to see a social multi-player VR arcade with many of the old greats re-imagined like warcade.  
  • bizjerbizjer Posts: 118
    Art3mis
    ohgrant said:
     Speaking of Arcade games. In my opinion the VR game Operation Warcade has a brilliant way of making me feel like I'm actually going to the arcade. Love the gameplay in that one. Great concept for a VR game. Would love to see a social multi-player VR arcade with many of the old greats re-imagined like warcade.  
    Have you tried Retro Arcade Neon. Bit of a ll balls ache to setup but if you really want to feel like your there this will do it

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    Afterburner
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,356
    Project 2501
    Pong!  I still remember my dad bring home this as a Xmas pressie for the family ~1970.  It had 2x controllers plus a rifle controller.  We hooked it up to our huge 25in BW tv and man did we have a lot of fun with this for quite a few years.  I don't know what ever happened to it.  It probably got thrown away after all us kids left the nest.  I still wish I had this.

As far as arcade games go I used to luv playing ms. pacman at the pub.  Our local pub had it mounted flat on a separate part of the table so you could drink your beer while others did the same.  Like my poor old pong game, these seemed to disappear over time.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

Those things were awesome in pubs. We had a Pac Man one for a while in our local and then it was replaced by a Galaxian one and then an Amidar one (except it wasn't called Amidar, can't remember what it was called now...It had a monkey on it).

Bar Billiards tables were also fantastic, very popular in pubs in the 70s and 80s but got replaced by pool tables.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,064 Valuable Player
    Can't do it.... It would be like having to choose between Sophia Bush, Jessica alba and Karen Gillan 

But.... If I must.

Maybe R Type. Ask me on another day tho and  will be chase hq or after burner or sega rally 2 or operation wolf or world cup 90 

Thank god for MAME ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,667 Valuable Player
    edited February 17

edited February 18
    Good shout on ikari warriors. I spent many hrs playing on my speccy and then Amiga. Halcyon days.

Games were brutally hard back then. Anyone remember Green Beret (or Rush'n Attack in America (back when Americans wanted to paint the Russians as the bad guys for everything ;) ). 
    I don't think I ever got past the 2nd area on my speccy. Arcade was easier funnily enough as game controlled better
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,518 Volunteer Moderator
    Gunblade.
    It had two large mounted machine guns (limited 2dof) on the cabinet with great haptics. My arms would ache after playing for a while.

Followed by Elevator Action

Spent a lot of time trying to write a version for the Atari ST using STOS, but that thing was hopeless, STOS I mean, not the Atari.
    AMOS on the Amiga was awesome. It came out a couple of years after STOS, so they'd improved it a lot.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,003 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    AMOS on the Amiga was awesome.

NO

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,518 Volunteer Moderator
    Wildt said:
    kojack said:

NO

I think your keyboard has a problem.

Wildt said:
    kojack said:

NO

out of curiosity what was wrong with it?  It was a bit beyond me, the furthest i ever got into games making was SEUCK

but that had little to no coding in it

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,003 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    kojack said:

NO

out of curiosity what was wrong with it?  It was a bit beyond me, the furthest i ever got into games making was SEUCK

but that had little to no coding in it

I never saw anything but poorly performing crap coming out of it.

Some people even attempted to compete in demo compos with stuff they made using it, and unless it was some glorified slideshow which relied on humor, it was garbage. Slow garbage.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,684 Valuable Player
    Currently:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    I absolutely LOVED the House Of The Dead games, any lightgun game is awesome in my book. CarnEvil is the best of all time though imo. A shame that the game died when Midway did :(

snowdog said:
    I absolutely LOVED the House Of The Dead games, any lightgun game is awesome in my book. CarnEvil is the best of all time though imo. A shame that the game died when Midway did :(

Sorry @snowdog - but gun games doing okay in the amusement scene long after Midway went??
    We have the great HoTD with the new launch last year, we have the Big Buck series doing storming across the market (both amusement and barcades), and we have the new school of mounted blasters like Jurassic World and Walking Dead. Sounds like you need to get out more  B)

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,876 Valuable Player
    Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting edition.  I loved all the Street Fighter 2 games, but this was my favorite, it might have even been a mod that was at the local Golf n Stuff.  It might have been called Rainbow edition, I can't recall since there were so many of them made.
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

Sorry @snowdog - but gun games doing okay in the amusement scene long after Midway went??
    We have the great HoTD with the new launch last year, we have the Big Buck series doing storming across the market (both amusement and barcades), and we have the new school of mounted blasters like Jurassic World and Walking Dead. Sounds like you need to get out more  B)

I was specifically talking about CarnEvil, not lightgun games in general. CarnEvil died with Midway. It was an amazing game.

snowdog said:

I was specifically talking about CarnEvil, not lightgun games in general. CarnEvil died with Midway. It was an amazing game.

Oh, okay - yeah - a sad day when they bit the big one. The fall out from Pinball2000 was just too much for them and they went. There had been a plan for a buy out, but the consumer management nixed it, even though the amusement division was still viable.

If you likes CarnEvil, this is a nice shooter in a similar vein [Target Terror - 2005]:

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **