New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Luckey is fixing Rifts Earphone issues....for FREE.

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Very cool of him to do this!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 933
    3Jane
    I once purchased a replacement earphone from Oculus when the sound went out in one of them, as verified by transposing the left and right earphones, but now that I have two dead Rifts for replacement parts, a shortage of replacement earphones will not be a problem for me!  :/
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,623 Valuable Player
    Palmer "I need attention" Luckey strikes again!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,549 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    He is doing something for free and you say something like that? That seems a bit rude you know. 
    edited February 18
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    He is doing something for free and you say something like that? That seems a bit rude you know. 

Some pot/kettle there, mister, considering how long you've spent on this forum spinning all Oculus news in to something negative. But that aside, yes. Palmer is always looking to do something to gain attention. He can't help himself.

Palmer publicly asks if he should save Altspace
    https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-founder-try-save-altspacevr/

Palmer is all about publicity stunts. He's just a bored rich kid.

3Jane
    Okay, Zenbane, now we need to see what YOU look like without your shirt on!  :D
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

Weather he's seeking attention or not, I now have an option to fix my old rifts headphones so I can give it to someone else, I already got a replacement.  I didn't have that option a week ago...
    3Jane
    Falken76, you might want to hold onto your old Rift for a while, even if you have another one. They do wear out sometimes, and it's nice to have a backup. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,087 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    regardless of his motivations its still very good for people with out of warranty rifts who will get a free fix.

would be better if oculus were doing it however.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,657 Valuable Player

Zenbane said:

I wish I was a bored rich kid.
    WAAAGH!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,283 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 19
    Is he after attention? yes probably.
    Does he see this as an opportunity for reclaiming a little of the moral ground lost during his sacking and the reasons there-of? Maybe.
    Does he still see the Rift as his baby? and Oculus as his company? Yes, probably.

Is this a good fix, regardless of any of the above? I think so.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I have to agree, although he may be a questionable individual and whatever reason he is doing this for, the consumer wins in this instance. Everyone benefits.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Yeah have to give him the nod on this one, nice of him to do this.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited February 19
    I understand what folks are saying, but I respectfully disagree. Enabling Palmer's behavior is not a benefit any more than enabling someone's drug or gambling habit is a benefit. I mean... imagine if an addict lived with you and you gave them extra money, where the reasoning was, "Well I have extra funds and it gets them out of the house which is a win-win for everyone."
    :*

Palmer is stuck at that moment in time where he was the Oculus figure head. He even dismantled Oculus GO as soon as it was released (and posted pictures online).

But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free. Every Kit that Palmer ships has to go somewhere. And you can bet that he's keeping track of when and where these things are going. That's data he's collecting. And data collection is what has made Social Media organizations so wealthy.

Nothing in life is free.
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 478
    Trinity
    But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free.
    Everybody knows that, buddy. But the service itself is free, when it could have been charged instead.

Just because you don't like him, you can't give him props for being useful to the community. Come on, you're smarter than that ^^'.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    edited February 19
    But that aside, I'm actually surprised at the number of people who think that this is truly 100% free.
    Everybody knows that, buddy. But the service itself is free, when it could have been charged instead.

I wouldn't assume everyone knows it's not free if people are saying it is free. The service itself is not free, something is being exchanged for that service. So... seems like you didn't really know it isn't free!

Also, NO, he could not have charged instead. Ever since his departure from Facebook-Oculus, it has been observed that Palmer operates under some very strict contract law. Part of him staying quiet for so long was clearly just one of many results. Palmer undoubtedly signed a "non-compete" clause with Facebook (and do not say that everyone knows this after you just said that he could have charged for the service); and if Palmer either talks about anything Facebook-Oculus related or starts a business where he is in direct competition... then he will end up a poor bored ex-rich kid mighty fast.

LuluViBritannia said:

Just because you don't like him, you can't give him props for being useful to the community. Come on, you're smarter than that ^^'.
    If you want to bring up "smarts" then we can have that conversation. In all sincerity, I feel that the community should be smarter than to believe that Palmer is just trying to do a nice thing for free. Even in your reply you begin by saying that everyone knows it is not free, and then in the same breath you say that the service itself is free lol.

It's not free. Palmer is getting something for it. People have made the same arguments against Facebook (which is just as free a service as Palmer is providing) when they objected to its acquisition of Oculus.
    I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned this stipulation in Palmer's endearing service offering:
    please forward your ticket and a mailing address to [email protected], and I will send you an RR1 repair kit free of charge

Sorry folks, I don't mean to derail the topic. But the data collection here just seems painstakingly obvious to me.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    Morgrum said:

Zenbane said:

I wish I was a bored rich kid.

I'm gonna be a bored rich kid old git soon, the Euromillions jackpot is now £154m. :o:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,087 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned this stipulation in Palmer's endearing service offering:
    please forward your ticket and a mailing address to [email protected], and I will send you an RR1 repair kit free of charge

Sorry folks, I don't mean to derail the topic. But the data collection here just seems painstakingly obvious to me.
    kind of hard for him to post it without giving an address though ;)
    if folk are that worried just give a work address or something.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited February 19
    bigmike20vt said:
    kind of hard for him to post it without giving an address though ;)
    if folk are that worried just give a work address or something.

I was referring to the Oculus Support Ticket Number. He wants you to send him the Support Ticket info, when clearly he shouldn't need it. One could argue that he's just trying to prevent getting spammed by people who don't even have a Rift, but there are other ways to accomplish it. He's data gathering in a way that shows he can service better than the company that he was forced to leave.

He has every right to be bitter about his departure, but omfg he needs to move on. He does this multiple times a year, every year. In 20 more years he's gonna end up getting arrested for secretly living in Mark Zuckerberg's backyard.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,581 Volunteer Moderator
    If he's in Marks backyard then he'll get arrested with snowdog  :D but I do tend to agree, nothing is ever truly free is it.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited February 19

I understand nothing is free with regard to data collection but I've been giving my data to all and sundry since... well... since I can remember.

For services that are advertised as free, the costs, or disbenefits, in 99% of the cases are unwanted advertisements, spam mail, marketing texts etc, with maybe 1% being security disbenefits, resulting in password changes necessary when data has been stolen, in other words, time disbenefits.

So far I can honestly say I've never bought anything because I've seen an advert on YouTube, jammed in between my subscription channels, so I count YouTube as being free. Likewise with Facebook, particularly as I haven't logged onto that in nearly a year. Same deal with Google.

Then there are subscription based services that also collect your data, such as mobile phone providers, cable/satellite TV providers, internet providers etc. Again, looking at my bill history, the data I provide to those companies doesn't disbenefit me any more than the contract cost I agreed to, for the service provided.

And then there are the companies we sign up to that provide a free service, but the sole purpose of which is to sell stuff that isn't part of a contract, such as Oculus Store, Steam, ebay, Amazon. I'm not entirely sure how much my data has cost me in these cases, as costs almost always result from me instigating a search for something... and I'm not opted into receiving offer emails from any company.

In fact with regard to Oculus Store and Steam, it's you people that have cost me money, whenever you post about some good game that's become available. So is that a result of my data being available or is it any different from me discussing gaming with anyone in the real world?

Anyway, I'm going to call PMs fix free.... until someone incurs an intrinsic disbenefit that they can describe in terms of cost or time (in addition to time they would have taken trying to fix it themselves).

Incidentally, advertisements obviously bring in revenue for companies otherwise they wouldn't do it but I strongly believe the marketing wanks exaggerate the resulting revenue to justify their jobs. It costs money to advertise and those costs get included in the product price, so in that way everyone pays for the advertising, whether data is collected or not.

...oh and don't stop posting about good software :)

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
    edited February 19
    Well, I can't wait to see what free services he offers for the Oculus Quest. And Rift-S. And every other Facebook-Oculus product. Because whatever happens... Palmer will be there...

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,774 Valuable Player
    What I have to question is why Oculus themselves didn't provide this fix? It seems a relatively easy fix to a common problem, so I have to question why Oculus hasn't done it.
    RedRizla said:
    What I have to question is why Oculus themselves didn't provide this fix? It seems a relatively easy fix to a common problem, so I have to question why Oculus hasn't done it.

Agreed that Oculus Support has not gone above and beyond to handle this in the most economical and efficient way possible. I'm sure that's the point Palmer is trying to make.

RedRizla said:

Yeah I was thinking about that.

I suppose it's easier to provide a fix if you're not responsible for the user borking the repair... unless PM is going to replace headsets that ham-fisted user mess up completely! I'm guessing he isn't. Also, users are much less likely to complain if the fix doesn't work and they're no worse off than before.

If Oculus provide this, then they have to take more responsibility. I think realistically they'd have to do the repair themselves rather than send out a kit

That would mean checking for any other potential causes of the fault. There would also be potential trip-ups if the headset has any non-related issues... there would have to be a bunch of caveats and testing done I'm guessing, particularly if the headset is outside of warranty.

I wonder how much worth there would be to Oculus to go through that process for headsets inside warranty… rather than replace them. Depends how much time is involved and how many people they have available.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    Okay, Zenbane, now we need to see what YOU look like without your shirt on!  :D
    No!  No we don’t!!!!!!
    I wouldn't mind posing topless. But it's the Internet n' all so gotta be careful. I can confirm that I am slightly more edible topless than Palmer. Truth.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,549 Valuable Player
    edited February 19
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:

Some pot/kettle there, mister, considering how long you've spent on this forum spinning all Oculus news in to something negative. But that aside, yes. Palmer is always looking to do something to gain attention. He can't help himself.
    Right back at chu bean:)

Either way - free in this case is a small price to pay for a little ticket information. Even if it he is trying to say he does a better job - I would still say its a win for the people having the issue. Even if the motive seems like that - that doesn't really pay off anything for him in the long run, so I think you might be pushing/reaching for something that isn't there. I would agree with DaftnDirect in the fact that this is more of a stunt to offer the repair - while not taking on full responsibility.