New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Shadow Legend - reviews and impressions - better than Skyrim VR?

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,518 Valuable Player
edited February 21 in Games and Apps
Seems like this reviewer thinks it's one of the best VR RPGs ever made - take that Skyrim VR  :D

The official game launch has been postponed to February 28. Expected price $25.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,832 Valuable Player
    Oh bugger. Yet another game I need to buy lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 434
    Trinity
    Roughly 5-6 hours long, I heard. It doesn't mean the game is bad at all, but I expect more from a VR game now.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,518 Valuable Player
    Roughly 5-6 hours long, I heard. It doesn't mean the game is bad at all, but I expect more from a VR game now.

But that's more or less similar to Lone Echo - quite fine with me. I'm more looking forward to test the build-in voice recognition and talking to my dog  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited February 22

"I got to play the first hour of Shadow Legends VR and was waaaay more impressed than I thought I would be. Super solid game so far with great performance, crisp visuals, and probably some of the most intuitive mechanics and direction that I've seen in a while. Below are my thoughts so far.

Came for indie game goodness, walked away with a lot more.

I've also included a link to the full 1 hour gameplay video at the end of this post for those that want to see the game in action.

Disclaimer: This covers the first hour of gameplay only. It goes over initial impressions of the visual quality, inventory system, combat mechanics, performance, basic puzzles/hunts, NPC interaction. It is not a full review of the game which comes out next week on the 28th btw!"

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/atid1k/shadow_legend_vr_rpg_first_hour_of_gameplay_text/

I'm not watching the video, I greatly dislike too many spoilers  o:)  B)

• b-twiceb-twice Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    The quality of the time spent in a game is very important... IF its 'only' 5 hours worth of awesomeness I'd say its definitely worth it.  I play Lone Echo over and over again just to soak up the beautiful graphics and experience the well done interaction with Olivia.  If this game offers the same thing it will be worth every penny!
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 210
    Nexus 6
    As a heavily modded Skyrim VR player myself, I'll try it out when it's released on Feb 28. The amount of game changing mods avail for Skyrim VR now, makes it a very tough one to beat. Vanilla Skryim VR is totally meh...modded (i mean 200+), well totally a different experience on another level.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    It looks great, clearly a lot of effort put into this title. Hopefully it will be a good game in its own right and no real need to choose a winner for role playing in vr. I'm hoping for a more realistic role playing game like KCD but I'm not holding my breath.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,557
    Wintermute
    edited February 24
    5 hours long? That's just one brief, I 'wonder what's in that cave' mission in Skyrim. :)

I would imagine its pretty easy to beat the VR implementation in Skyrim if you were starting from scratch. However one sure way to kill an RPG game is compare it to Skyrim.

Is it based on Sonic the Hedgehog? Why are you climbing up walls and collecting coins? 

• MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,173
    Wintermute
    As a heavily modded Skyrim VR player myself, I'll try it out when it's released on Feb 28. The amount of game changing mods avail for Skyrim VR now, makes it a very tough one to beat. Vanilla Skryim VR is totally meh...modded (i mean 200+), well totally a different experience on another level.
    I'm playing Skyrim VR again. I'm using Dragonborn Speaks Naturally. I love it so far. You speak instead of selecting the dialog. You equip spells by speaking. I tried immersive VR quick slots but it doesn't work for me. 

What are your top 5 most impactful mods? 

About the OP, it's hard to compare a 3 hour game to Skyrim. I just had a 2 hour session dealing with a couple of quests. Skyrim is just so massive. But I'll definitely try Shodow Legend when I'm done with Skyrim and Mage's Tale. 
    MowTin said:
    About the OP, it's hard to compare a 3 hour game to Skyrim. I just had a 2 hour session dealing with a couple of quests. Skyrim is just so massive. But I'll definitely try Shodow Legend when I'm done with Skyrim and Mage's Tale. 
    I'm just doing my best to get Shadow Legend some attention, seems like "better than Skyrim" works perfectly  ;)

In Shadow Legend voice recognition should be build-in, and I do hope that Touch controls have been implemented way beyond Skyrim VR (it certainly looks like that in the trailers). And of course I don't think we'll be seeing any VR game anytime soon with more story and quest contents than Skyrim.  

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,256 Valuable Player
    edited February 25
    With all the mods and the potential play hours I am going to say a big NO. No matter how immersive SL might be Skyrim VR is a beast for the Fantasy RPG fix.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 210
    Nexus 6
    MowTin said:
    I'm playing Skyrim VR again. I'm using Dragonborn Speaks Naturally. I love it so far. You speak instead of selecting the dialog. You equip spells by speaking. I tried immersive VR quick slots but it doesn't work for me. 

What are your top 5 most impactful mods? 

I'm still playing Skyrim VR without the shout mods for now as that is what I'm use to. Once I start another play through I will prob do the voice control method...I have and use 'voice attack' for Elite Dangerous, so that would be my route at that point.

Top 5 mods...well that is next to impossible to say as there are so many I use and literally all of the 214 (and always adding more) that I presently use have their place. Literally, over 70 of my mods only do visual for surrounding areas, underground, inside (and that's not including Armor or even NPC's or Followers yet). All complement each other. I can share my mod list in a categorized list if anyone is interested.

At 737 hrs in Skyrim VR presently, there isn't another game I play that can hold my attention anywhere near that long...due to modding of course!!! I haven't even finished the main quest yet...LOL!!!

Shadow Legend VR will probably be better control wise, due to being developed for VR.

i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, Adata SX6000NP M.2 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, Toshiba 3TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1803
    edited February 28

Today's worst-case-scenario just happened. All day is ruined :'(

Biggest First World Problem Ever!

Launch delayed until March 7th

27. feb. kl. 19:21 - VitruviusVR
    Hey Guys, it pains us to do this, but unfortunately we had to delay the launch of Shadow Legend by one more week. It's taken us testing everyday since last week to even solve the current issue in the game and we wouldn't want to release the game to you guys until we've made sure everything else is working as it should. It's been very difficult to solve as the problem only occurs for some players, and even for those players it doesn't consistently happen. We really hate to postpone as so many of you are eager to play, but we are closer then we were last week. The issue may even be already fixed, although we can't be 100% sure without getting the all clear from beta testers that have the issue.

Sorry again, Blake & the VitruviusVR Team

I think it's all just marketing - Vitruvius is learning from superhot girls playing really hard to get :D

Hmmm, the frustration is greatly increasing - I might need to take a cold shower later and consider Sunday going to Church to get some cleaner thoughts o:) Sigh...

More impressions:

edited March 7
    The game is launching in just 1 hour - at least on Steam. 

Good News!

6 MAR @ 7:55PM - VITRUVIUSVR
    Hey Guys,

We just wanted to reassure everyone that the game will be launching tomorrow (March 7th). All the bugs (that we know of) have been fixed and we're excited to get the game to you tomorrow at 10am PST!

Thanks again for everyone's help in getting the game ready!

Cheers, Blake & Colton

Here's some waiting time music  o:)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2739977019349635/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987230/Shadow_Legend_VR/

• AlextendedAlextended Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    Probably not better overall because I heard it's actually a short experience, 5 or 10 hours, so really just a tech demo of what a full VR RPG could be like eventually. Sad indie devs like that don't have the budget for a long, polished game. They more than make up for it by bringing innovation to VR but it would be nice to see a sequel to one of these things become a fully realized full length game eventually. It hurts to have that cool melee stuff in Blade & Sorcery but only get it in a boring wave game.
    edited March 7
    Done  o:) B) Download size = 3.76 GB.  

• nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    3.76GB? that's not even a skyrim 4k texture mod. 

edited March 7
    Some more reviews - for those thinking I smoked too much pipe in-game before writing my impressions :D

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,975 Valuable Player
    Purchased and downloaded. I'm supposed to head to the pub tonight... but that idea may be fuxx0red due to today's release.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Currently Shadow Legend has an average rating of 94% based on 26 ratings, seems like most people love the game. I did read that few experienced some crashes, personally I did not experience any technical problems with the game.

With the performance I'm getting, I'd be surprised if this game didn't perform great (90 fps) even using a GTX 970 ss 1.0.

Hmmm, should I really update my Win 10 to 1803... I guess there's some truth to the saying:

Image result for if it works dont fix it

But voice recognition doesn't work - so it doesn't work - maybe I really need to fix it...  :#  :D

My amount of First World problems is staggering... 

• bridakbridak Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Are there any spiders or spider-like creatures in the game? I'm mostly ok with them in flat-screen games but in VR that's a hard pass :)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 780
    3Jane
    Oh nice 1, can't wait to play this after reading your reviews. Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)
  • A.ForceA.Force Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    super sampling 2.0.
    Do you set this up using the oculus tray tool or in game? Or would you say it doesn't matter?
    Any other tips and tricks you've learned so far?

Just about to boot up the game for the first time. My rig is quite similar to yours.
    A.Force said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    super sampling 2.0.
    Do you set this up using the oculus tray tool or in game? Or would you say it doesn't matter?
    Any other tips and tricks you've learned so far?

Just about to boot up the game for the first time. My rig is quite similar to yours.
    I use Oculus Tray Tool - and didn't touch any video setting in-game. Well, the only video setting in-game is actually a setting for super sampling, so you don't have many options for the graphics (texture quality, shadows etc. are all fixed and cannot be changed). In short, you more or less just have to set up the controls. 
    Somehow I did get the wrong sword in my weapon belt, didn't notice at first but did think that some skeletons were annoyingly hard to kill :D - so check that you have the correct weapons at hand - or find them in your inventory. And check the settings menu (left Touch flat button) to make sure you've gotten all the Runes and completed all sub-quests before moving to new locations - that's basically it I think ;) 
    Btw, I did experience a few crashes this evening, so you may want to save the game frequently.  

edited March 8
    Some reviews from Steam - from persons having completed the game:

"Really great game. The atmosphere is amazing and the graphics are nice except for the characters. The sound and voice acting has its ups and downs but overall ok. The game ran great on my 8700k and 1080Ti at 2x supersampling. I only had a few frame dips in the entire game. It has a great selection of locomotion options Smooth locomotion, teleportation, hand steering and hmd steering so nothing to complain about there. 
    The game took me about 4.5 hours to beat when collecting every single thing in the game. If you are not a hoarder like me you will complete this game in less than 3 hours so have that in mind. If you are ok with the short playtime I can highly recommend it."

"I beat the game and you can see my time (3.3 hrs). So drawing on that you know the game was kind of short, and other than that, that's really the only negative. The mechanics were wonderful and I see they were trying to be more realistic with the combat but I think everyone usually prefers Gorn or Blade & Sorcery type of combat. However the ranged combat as well as all the weapons were all very fun to use, the runes, the riddle solving, climbing mechanics, consumables, the shop mechanic all of it was just very charming and well done. To make this game better with omitting the length of it of course, I would say more enemies, possibly an arena style game or the like. The levels are very nice as well. It's really hard to find a complaint but I would definitely say this is one of the good ones."

So take your time to enjoy the game - like Paradise Decay spending 40 minutes and not even entering the war room  ;)