cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensors and the Future

Duskmuffin
Honored Guest
Hello fellow Riftusers, i just recently joined your ranks. The little time i owned the rift i have enjoyed it and thinking of getting a third sensor, but then it struck me, will the sensors be useful for the next generation oculus as well, especially as it works so well or will there be a new system?  

//Best Regards Daniel
2 REPLIES 2

Richooal
Consultant
You should only get the third sensor if you need it. If you're having tracking problems in apps/games that a third sensor will fix, then go for it. The value you get from the extra sensor is based on how long you keep the Rift.

With regard to sensors in the next generation, who knows. For simplicity of setup, and lower cost, inside out tracking is the way to go. Evidence is mounting that Oculus will switch to inside out tracking for the next Rift version, or use a hybrid system that supports both, during the switch over phase.

You'll find pages of argument for and against inside out tracking on this forum, but I've noticed that some old, vocal, die hard supporters of the constellation tracking system are starting to warm to inside out tracking.

So far..........

Rift                 Constellation Tracking 6DOF
Go                  Inside Out 3DOF
Quest            Inside Out 6DOF
Rift (2,S,whatever)    rumoured to have onboard cameras, but maybe also using sensors.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. I bought the third sensor and haven't looked back. (Well that's wrong. With the third sensor I can look back, before I couldn't)
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Duskmuffin
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

You should only get the third sensor if you need it. If you're having tracking problems in apps/games that a third sensor will fix, then go for it. The value you get from the extra sensor is based on how long you keep the Rift.

With regard to sensors in the next generation, who knows. For simplicity of setup, and lower cost, inside out tracking is the way to go. Evidence is mounting that Oculus will switch to inside out tracking for the next Rift version, or use a hybrid system that supports both, during the switch over phase.

You'll find pages of argument for and against inside out tracking on this forum, but I've noticed that some old, vocal, die hard supporters of the constellation tracking system are starting to warm to inside out tracking.

So far..........

Rift                 Constellation Tracking 6DOF
Go                  Inside Out 3DOF
Quest            Inside Out 6DOF
Rift (2,S,whatever)    rumoured to have onboard cameras, but maybe also using sensors.

At the end of the day, it's up to you. I bought the third sensor and haven't looked back. (Well that's wrong. With the third sensor I can look back, before I couldn't)

Thank you for a good informative answer and a nice giggle at the end ^^ . Not opposed to the Inside out tracking it make sense from a setup perspective, ill just hope for a hybrid so the sensors have some use at least till a third generation comes out :).  Will prob get a third sensor regardless, it will make for the complete experience .:D.

//Daniel