cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift on an AMD Phenom series processor (Or processors without SSE 4.2)

LDBdoesgames
Honored Guest
Hello everybody,

This has probably been asked multiple times, but I searched a lot and just found outdated solutions for my (and probably many others) problem.

My problem is that with the new installer for Oculus Home, you now require a processor with the Streaming SIMD Extension 4.2.
When I tried searching earlier, I came around a nice fix (a hacked installer so that it would let the setup think that you had an processor with SSE 4.2) but even that still din't work (I'll link it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8fyv0h/oculus_software_install_without_a_cpu_that/

Maybe it's just my computer that won't let me install Oculus, or maybe it really is outdated.

If it is outdated, I would be really thankfull for any solution to this.

Thanks in advance,
LDB

(P.S I am still new to the forum so please don't hate on my errors. (tips and 'critics' are always welcome :smile:)
6 REPLIES 6

LDBdoesgames
Honored Guest
Sorry, totally forgot my specs. I'll put them down here.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz (OC to 3.7 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD-PRO
Memory: 2x 16gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

(If there is missing something, please tell me)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think there is a workaround for your CPU, and your GPU doesn't meet the minimum specs either...you'll need at east a 1050Ti to meet the minimum specs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, totally forgot my specs. I'll put them down here.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.40 GHz (OC to 3.7 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus M4A89GTD-PRO
Memory: 2x 16gb 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

(If there is missing something, please tell me)

The whole PC is out of date really... almost any CPU currently will blow the snot out of it. Honestly - the 1050 being held back from the CPU alone let alone the fact that the 1050 doesn't meet minimum spec.

I would hold out till the new Ryzen 3ks but might need an update sir.

So, I can maybe explain what's happening (though not really provide a solution). It's true that SSE 4.2 instructions are not needed. However, the software does need the Nehalem architecture (or newer) and checking for SSE 4.2 is one of the easier ways for finding those chips. In addition, any CPUs without SSE 4.2 are likely from 8 years ago (or older) and probably would not performance very well anyhow. 

LDBdoesgames
Honored Guest
Yeah, you're both right, just think i could try and get it working haha, but I'll definitely upgrade my pc.

Thanks for you're help guys! Really appreciated :smile:

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The problem is..... in VR a bad experience can put you off VR for life... and unlike a monitor based game where you play and it has a choppy framerate which just makes it less enjoyable, in VR you can actually be made physically ill if it is not running properly.

now... apparently there are some cpus out there which do run VR ok but are "unfairly" locked out.... Going on the rage that one poster in particular had, I assume there is no way around it anymore... but even IF there is, i would say your cpu falls flat into the "dont try this in VR" camp.

btw no flaming at all, i just dont want you to have a bad experience. People need to see VR, if not at its best, at least at a usable state.  IF you are on a serious budget right now and dont want to or cant do a serious upgrade to your pc...., given you have waited this long i would suggest you wait a little bit more.... and pick up an oculus quest.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Aka - not all CPUs are made the same - and should be treated as such when picking the right hardware for the right task. Its a small detail - but always do a bit of research into what you are doing before jumping in head first.