New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No sound on Oculus Home, Touch Basics and First Contact?

Comments

• shanedlmshanedlm Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 24
    uKER said:
    My reply meant that as far as we are concerned, the issue is due to being in Insider fast, meaning that there's probably nothing else that we can do will remedy it.
    Whether the blame is on Microsoft or Oculus, I'm not the one to tell.
    Sadly, Oculus seems to be playing the easy card of blowing off the issue, not considering that what today is an Insider build, soon enough will be in the general public.

That may be true -- but it's concerning that Oculus doesn't seem to care to investigate further into the issue and Microsoft doesn't even seem aware of the issue at all.   Oculus support basically told me they don't know what the issue is, it's something Microsoft did, and I'll just have to wait for it to be fixed if I can't rollback.  Issues like these don't just magically fix themselves if no one is actively trying to provide a solution for it (i.e. Creative providing new drivers for their issue, which MS referenced in each update), so I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated here.

• MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 150 Oculus Start Member
    Same problem here - no sound at all in the Rift. No idea for how long already - haven't played games in a while. Tried all of the above. Nothing helps. Will test if video-sound in the shop is audible tomorrow.
    Strange thing is; in the sound settings - the volume bars for the Rift do jump up and down when I do a test - still nothing in the Rift...
  • uKERuKER Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    edited March 25
    Same problem here - no sound at all in the Rift. No idea for how long already - haven't played games in a while. Tried all of the above. Nothing helps. Will test if video-sound in the shop is audible tomorrow.
    Strange thing is; in the sound settings - the volume bars for the Rift do jump up and down when I do a test - still nothing in the Rift...
    Well, sorry but I think what you describe isn't what we're experiencing here.
    We do have sound in the Rift in 95% of apps.
    Just not on Oculus Home and a bunch of other (mostly Oculus-sourced) apps.
  • Penpen2Penpen2 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Ok update,

Got off the Insider build last night, sound is back on all the games and Oculus Home, sound stays off after hours of Moss game time and 30 minutes or so of Home game time.

So can confirm it's an issue with the latest build of Insider.

• MaxArchMaxArch Posts: 150 Oculus Start Member

uKER said:Well, sorry but I think what you describe isn't what we're experiencing here.
    We do have sound in the Rift in 95% of apps.
    Just not on Oculus Home and a bunch of other (mostly Oculus-sourced) apps.
    Too bad for me...its worse than the place you're in. Playing video in Oculus Home doesn't has any sound either...
    Hiro Protagonist
    Penpen2 said:
    Ok update,

Got off the Insider build last night, sound is back on all the games and Oculus Home, sound stays off after hours of Moss game time and 30 minutes or so of Home game time.

Cool -- thanks for confirming!   What did you do to get off the build last night -- a full reinstall or rollback?  I sadly can't roll back far enough to fix and really am dreading having to do a reinstall!
    NerveGear
    shanedlm said:
    Penpen2 said:
    Ok update,

Cool -- thanks for confirming!   What did you do to get off the build last night -- a full reinstall or rollback?  I sadly can't roll back far enough to fix and really am dreading having to do a reinstall!
    Sorry for the late replies, I can only log into this forum at work for some reason.

Yes I had to do a fresh install of windows. I used the Media creation toolkit to make an bootable external drive, yes it's a pain but my games now play with sound and Oculus Home is fun again, it's incredible how much sound and music add to Home, definitely miss it when it's gone.
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    Penpen2 said:
    shanedlm said:
    Penpen2 said:
    Ok update,

Yes I had to do a fresh install of windows. I used the Media creation toolkit to make an bootable external drive, yes it's a pain but my games now play with sound and Oculus Home is fun again, it's incredible how much sound and music add to Home, definitely miss it when it's gone.

Ugh. Same boat as @shanedlm; can't rollback and dreading a fresh Win install as I'm experiencing the same audio issue per thread. 

I've installed Oculus to a secondary drive eg E: and all working swimmingly. When I reinstall Oculus from a fresh Win10 install, I presume I'll need redownload all purchased games or will Oculus recognise my install directory (once specified, of course) and make amends? The other half of not being excited for a fresh Win install, is the unknowing in re-doing all Oculus stuff. WIll be the first time I've had to do it. As quick point of mention, not at all worried about sensor or boundary setup, etc referring to Oculus nuts and bolts associated with account. Any tips appreciated.

Art3mis
    Normally, backing up your "Software" and "Redistributables" folders and restoring it after reinstall is enough.
    I think I ran into difficulties when I changed the default installation folder though, but I managed to restore it in the end.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ok this is getting old.  A month+ later and no progress?   Neither MS or Oculus seems to care enough to look into this, with both claiming its the other's responsibility.  How do we get this fixed?
    Art3mis
    Guess we'll have to wait til it hits the fan when the current fast ring builds start making their way to the general public and then Oculus will have to stop blowing the issue off and fix it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    uKER said:
    Guess we'll have to wait til it hits the fan when the current fast ring builds start making their way to the general public and then Oculus will have to stop blowing the issue off and fix it.

That seems so counterintutive to me. Isn't the whole point of insider previews for MS and developers to iron out the kinks BEFORE the final version hits the general public?  I just don't get Oculus' policy of disregarding Insider bugs at all.  You'd think it'd make more sense to identify and solve these issues now before they become much larger issues for everyone, no?
    Art3mis
    I didn't say I agreed with the way it's gonna go, but it probably is how it's gonna go.
  • bni1977bni1977 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited April 19
    I have this problem too, no sound in home, touch tutorial or with the robot in the camper. All other games have sound though.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Alright, we're literally on the release preview of the May 2019 update now for Windows 10.  So when does this actually become an issue Oculus will look into? 
  • jbaertjbaert Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited May 22
    So glad I found this thread.
    Since updating to Windows 19H1 (which is officially released, btw), I'm suffering from:
    • No sound: Oculus Touch Tutorial, Robot In The Camper Tutorial, Oculus Home
    • Sound: Dreamdeck, UI (dash), Store trailer, Bigscreen, Thumper, SuperHOT VR, Beat Saber, Sins Of A Solar Empire, Robo Recall (basicly, everything in my Library))
    Things I did to try and mitigate: Ran OculusDriver setup, rebooted, plug/replug everything, run through setup again.
    I'm on the public test channel. I'm not going to do a full reinstall of either Oculus software or Windows, since I'm pretty sure it's update-related. Home was working fine 2 days ago, before the update.

Anywhere I could look for relevant logs?
  • steveco99steveco99 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    The May 2019 Windows 10 version they just released definitely broke the sound in Oculus Home and a few transactions.  Like the earlier posters, this first occurred after joining the inside program and getting the 1903 release. 

After several unsuccessful attempts at back-pedaling out of the Insider program, I finally did a complete fresh install of Windows and download/reinstall of Oculus Rift.  The PC and my account are no longer in the Insider program, but the missing sound problem still exists with the latest general release of the May 2019 Windows 10 update, version 1903.

They can't hide behind it being a beta version of Windows anymore - I expect a lot more people are going to run up against this now the OS is in general release.    
  • PRESIDENT_GOKUPRESIDENT_GOKU Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Got a Rift S this afternoon and I'm experiencing the same issue. The little intro thing/tutorial, First Contact, and Home are all dead silent. Games work fine (I tried Robo Recall and Medium) and Steam VR is also fine. Running Windows 10 1903. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Oculus should PIN thteads like this especially for the new RIFT S sales!
    @OculusSupport
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just re-opened my old support ticket back from FEBRUARY when I first reported this issue so they could stay ahead of it.  It's a bummer they did not take any steps to prevent this from hitting non-Insider users, especially as the release of 1903 happens to coincide with the release of the Rift S.
    Brain Burst
    Downloaded the 2019 title 'Wolves in the Walls' yesterday, another Oculus sponsored application.  Same issue - no sound while running the title.
  • Swifty0neSwifty0ne Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Oculus Support...... 

We have been discussing this issue for several months and it has been ignored.  1903 is now rolling out to Windows 10 users not on the insider program.  
    My solution was to wipe the  Hard Drive, Re-Install Windows 10 and opt out of the insider program for this PC.  I am now on 1803 and sounds run fine.  It sucks because I have an RTX 2070 and 1903 will support Ray Tracing and I want this update on my PC.  Now I am reading that if I do a normal upgrade I will be in the same situation I was a few months ago when I was on the insider program. 

Can we fix this bug So I don't have to waste another afternoon re-installing windows????  Facebook please do something here. 
    NerveGear
    Huge disappointment that Oculus hasn't even responded to any of this. I was one that did a fresh install of Windows off the Insider build in order to play Moss and enjoy other games and Oculus home. Now the Public build of Windows has caught up and the issue never even got side glanced at. We've also got brand new hardware and with plenty of people owning new Oculus systems and they will be left like the rest of us. Not a good impression and will ultimately hurt VR.
  • EventlessHorizonEventlessHorizon Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    @steveco99 I downloaded the same title (Wolves in the Walls) and the strange thing is for me the audio works in the first part of the title, during the introduction with the flashlight... and then goes to null when the title fully loads and the main character starts to speak. This makes me wonder if this is actually some kind of codec issue? I am in the insider program as well, but I run a few machines in it on different tracks and I am pretty sure it hit my drivers only install sooner than GA as well... I also have a Windows Mixed Reality and a Vive HMU and decided to try both of them through Revive, just for giggles, and no go. I haven't seen the problem on any titles for my other headsets though including exclusives, so it definitely seems to point to the Oculus conduit alone. Sad that they don't actually utilize the insider community to stop this kind of thing before it hits the public DURING a major release.... :persevere:

Brain Burst
    @steveco99 I downloaded the same title (Wolves in the Walls) and the strange thing is for me the audio works in the first part of the title, during the introduction with the flashlight... and then goes to null when the title fully loads and the main character starts to speak. 

Yes, that's the same behaviour I saw with that title - there was some sound up until the character goes to speak.  Other applications like Moss have no sound at all under 1903 ...   :(
  • N7EVOXN7EVOX Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 24
    Same issue since the 1903 update. No sound in Face your fears, Oculus Home, Tutorial with Robot....
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    N7EVOX said:
    Same issue since the 1903 update. No sound in Face your fears, Oculus Home, Tutorial with Robot....
    Ditto hear, upgraded to 1903 and lost the sound in Home.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,850 Valuable Player
    Penpen2 said:
    Huge disappointment that Oculus hasn't even responded to any of this. I was one that did a fresh install of Windows off the Insider build in order to play Moss and enjoy other games and Oculus home. Now the Public build of Windows has caught up and the issue never even got side glanced at. We've also got brand new hardware and with plenty of people owning new Oculus systems and they will be left like the rest of us. Not a good impression and will ultimately hurt VR.
    Yeah this is not good - that along with the display issues sounds like Oculus might want to add some support staff.
    They really need to get on top of this.
    Absolutely loving my Rift, but I have to leave on after first starting for the day or if I don't and close home, then re-launch it, I will have no display until I either reboot PC or restart the Oculus service 3 times.

And now getting the 1903 update yesterday, and lost some sound in Oculus Home. I thought something had gone wrong with my new headset.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 164 Oculus Staff
    Hey everyone - just want to relay what it seems some of you have already heard from support. Our team has looked at the issue and reported it to Microsoft, but it wasn’t fixed in time for 1903. The newest insider builds that are rolling out seem to have the fix, it's ultimately up to Microsoft to push the fix out to the public build. We regretfully have no control over that in terms of timing.

We do have a support article up for this issue: https://support.oculus.com/2293082490952387/

Also, apologies to those folks who have not yet heard back from Support. The team is working through all tickets as fast as possible. We are experiencing higher ticket volumes than normal. We know this is not ideal, but we sincerely appreciate your patience in hearing back from us.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    @ShowbizDonkey Surely Microsoft know what Fixed it and can supply it as a Hotfix for 1903 and even those still with 1809?