New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Scale Avatar hand size in Unity

kisamefishfrykisamefishfry Posts: 2
NerveGear
I'm working on a Unity project that requires me to scale the size of the avatar hands(with touch controls) to distort perception of an object's size. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this. The transformation of the hands is forcibly set, and the actual value writing appears to be in a DLL so I can't allow it to incorporate a scale to the transform. It appears that the DLL assumes the scale is 1. Since it doesn't appear that I'll be able to change this programatically, the next best option from my train of thought is to manually scale the model to meet my needs before run-time. However, from what I can see the hand model is stored in a .mesh in a zip file and I can't seem to be able to open it using common blender addons. I tried placing the hands as children of an object and then scaling the object size, but I noticed that what I got was the hands constantly blinking between two different sizes and locations.

So from here, what are some suggestions to change the size of the avatar hands? I haven't worked extensively with the Oculus SDKs, so if there is a simple way to get the hand model, and be able to use an edited version of that, then I missed that and I apologize.

Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

• kisamefishfrykisamefishfry Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Accepted Answer
    Just an update for anyone who may have this, or a similar problem, in the future. I did find a solution. When running the hands generate a  child object called hand_(left/right)_renderPart_0. Those then have the child objects hands:(l/r)_hand_world. Editing the scale on these objects will ultimately change the size of the hand.