Problem with latest Windows 10 2019-02 Cumulative Update KB4482887 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Problem with latest Windows 10 2019-02 Cumulative Update KB4482887

TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,036
Wintermute
edited March 3 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
I noticed a problem earlier today with Oculus Home.  When I activated either touch controller I get a lot of controller and headset stuttering.  I did the usual things like checked my usb ports, rebound controllers, and redid sensor setup.  I also opted out of the PTC (1.36) and then did a repair back to the current public release 1.35.  None of these (including reinstalling drivers) helped.

I then remembered I had done a Win10 update late yesterday and had not used my Rift since before noticing this stuttering problem.  So I went to my win10 settings/update and security/view latest updates/uninstall updates and uninstalled KB4482887.  After this (and a mandatory restart to finish the process) all is back to normal = very good.

I'm not sure that everyone will have a problem with this Win10 update but I thought I would pass this on to others that may have just noticed a similar issue.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    Mmmm, interesting. did you check the usual suspect like the (in)famous GameMode and GameBar of Windows 10 in settings? I found previous Win10 update turned it ON again sometimes and I had to turn it OFF to retrieve a fluent experience.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,327 Valuable Player
    Interesting, I'm still telling Win10 that I'm using paid Wi-Fi services, seems like MS has left me alone for about a year - and my Rift is still working perfectly (v. 1.35). Now, my rig is only for VR and gaming, I don't even have Office on that machine. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,036
    Wintermute
    edited March 3
    No I didn’t check game mode because that usually only happens with large feature updates.  Mine is set to off.  If this happens again I’ll def check this out.  Thanks 
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,859 Valuable Player
    Err.....you may want to edit that title.  :D :D :D 

Thanks for the heads up though. It may explain a couple issues that were happening last night. 
    Wintermute
    Ya, sometimes abbreviations don’t work out, lol!  Thanks 
  • rooskie94rooskie94 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the same issue with the update as well 
  • ShiiShii Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited March 4

Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio
  • ShiiShii Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited March 4
    Same issue, process csrss.exe started consuming significant amount of CPU when I put on my Oculus headset, about 10% of i7-7700K after this update. Noticed that CPU usage dependend on Touch controllers. When both Touch controllers in standby mode, csrss.exe consuming 0%, with one Touch controller in my hand csrss.exe using 5% and with two controllers it using 10% of CPU.
    After uninstalling KB4482887 CPU usage by csrss.exe went to normal 0.1-0.3%.
    Intel Core i7-7700K, Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming, 32Gb RAM, MSI RTX 2080 8Gb Gaming X Trio
  • AlextendedAlextended Posts: 50
    Brain Burst
    edited March 4
    Yeah I get the problem too, I posted it here as a reply:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/73975/im-having-problems-with-laggy-hands-any-suggestions-or-tips

I have the same issue, my Rift worked perfectly in the past, I even commonly used supersampling of 1.3 in even the most demanding games, but now it seems as if performance is shitty everywhere including Home and the hand (but not the headset) tracking is wonky and drifty and all over the place. If I do an abrupt from up to down motion then the hands will often continue traveling downward for a second disappearing in the distance until they reset to where my hand actually stopped, even the mouse cursor when checking out the desktop window lags way behind the VR pointer dot. Everything is broken I guess.

The only thing I can think of that actually changed is, perhaps similar to you, the latest Windows10 cumulative update:

I've tried everything I could think of, I've reinstalled Oculus, reset all OCT settings, reset all my Nvidia Control Panel settings, reverted to the non-beta version of Oculus just in case it was an experimental update pushed on that, nothing changed. The desktop Oculus app doesn't show anything wrong with the devices and their performance but the Home performance indicator shown when you press the left Touch controller's menu button does change from green to worse.

I have 16GB RAM, an old i7 3770K overclocked to 3.7GHz (pre-Boost, so around ~4GHz or more when gaming, it never throttles) and a GTX1080 (also slightly OCed and it's always fine in temps and such even in the most demanding games like most recently Metro Exodus) so it's not really an actual hardware performance issue and the situation remains in games that were perfectly playable, whether demanding like Onward (where I can't aim for shit) or light like Beat Saber (I can't perform at all). It's been rendered completely unplayable for anything that has motion controls, I haven't tried gamepad games yet...

Non VR games don't show any difference in behavior so whatever happened only affected whatever I run with Oculus.

Edit: my setup is a 2-sensor set up and I did have some USB issues in the past but have solved them by removing my less used USB devices like a bluetooth dongle that I only used with my DualShock4 which I can just use wired when I need it, I'm using an inateck 4-port USB 3.0 PCI-E card (I have also tried switching between the fresco logic and the built-in Microsoft drivers which solved the warning in the Oculus software but otherwise didn't really change anything, it worked either way in the past).
    What sucks for me is I can't roll back, I have a small SSD so if I don't notice a problem after a day I clean the restore points. I guess I should change that to being a few days so that I try out more things as I happened to not try VR this time...
    Wintermute
    edited March 4
    Alex, I don't think you need a restore point to get rid of KB4482887.  You should be able to go to your windows settings/update and security/view update history/uninstall updates, and get rid of it.  That's what I did.  No restore point was needed.  It just had to go through the normal restart/update process.  Like you were doing an actual update.

Up to you but I really think you should keep at least 2 restore points stored all the time btw.  Alternatively maybe do some frequent backups and store them on another drive.

Edit; this problem has also been noted on quite a few reddit threads.  For example (and there are more);

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/awwt1d/recent_problem_with_floating_gloves_and_bad/

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/ax31w2/hand_tracking_and_framerate_poor_if_two_touch/

https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoft/comments/ax18s7/kb4482887_caused_major_performance_issues_for_me/
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,719 Valuable Player
    edited March 4

Doesn't sound great, downloading the update now and will see how is goes.

Edit: OK no apparent issues on my system so looks like a specific system issue. Just in case anyone's curious, my current USB 3 Fresco driver is Microsoft's 10.0.17763.1 and running latest nVidia driver 419.17

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.175)
    Brain Burst
    edited March 4
    Thanks for that, I'm uninstalling the update now to see if that fixes it. I don't use restore poits cos I never had to since I used Windows 98 so to me it's wasted space. On the off chance something does break too hard, most of my large software, programs, games, etc., are on other, secondary HDDs so it's not a huge problem or anything to just reinstall Windows itself and a few other easy to reacquire clients on the primary SSD then simply set the proper library paths again for the games to show up.

Still, I hope they fix this soon either as another Windows update or as an Oculus update, won't Windows Update ask to download this again later on, or even just get it by default in the next cumulative update or whenever it sees it's missing?

It would be nice if this bug also made them take a more careful look at what that process does and maybe optimize it even better than it was before leading to performance gains rather than any loss, haha.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,776 Valuable Player
    edited March 4
    I hate how everything updates these days.  One thing I miss from days past is buying software that doesn't just break randomly because of forced updates that happen automatically.  Or here's a frustrating one,my brother bought some games that have since over time increased in system requirements so when he bought them, they worked with his machine, but the constant updates made those games play like shit on his machine.  It's not as bad as the "pay to win" mobile gaming model, but it just sucks.
  • OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 259 Oculus Staff

For anyone who is having issues with their Rift after the Windows Update KB4482887, please collect the Oculus diagnostics logs and create a support ticket at https://support.oculus.com to help us investigate this issue. Instructions on gathering logs are available here https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/. Thanks! -Rick

Wintermute

For anyone who is having issues with their Rift after the Windows Update KB4482887, please collect the Oculus diagnostics logs and create a support ticket at https://support.oculus.com to help us investigate this issue. Instructions on gathering logs are available here https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/. Thanks! -Rick

Ya, good idea.  I'll do this if the kb4482887 does an auto-reinstall.  I really do not want to reinstall it if I do not have to, lol!

Surely Oculus Support has a number of PC's with this update by now that they can test as well and report back to us.  Thanks.
  • Ar7ific1alAr7ific1al Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I can confirm this update was causing issues for me. My Oculus Touch controllers were losing tracking very frequently and also drifting and floating (everyone says "floating" but it's more like a jell-o wobble to me) everywhere in SteamVR. The issues were present in Oculus, but not nearly as severe as in SteamVR.
    I recalibrated over a dozen times, googled around, rebooted several times, reinstalled Oculus, I even opted into the latest SteamVR beta; all was fruitless. I finally found someone mentioning "floating" in regards to BeatSaber (unrelated to this issue) so I altered my search terms.

After switching to diagnosing "floating," I came across this thread as well as one on the OculusVR subreddit and another on the Microsoft subreddit. This issue is present not just in Oculus, but also "pancake" gaming, and likely other applications as well. After uninstalling this update, my issues are gone.

@OcculusSupport Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after I already removed the update, otherwise I'd gladly contribute to help diagnose and resolve the performance issues.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,591 Valuable Player
    I think I read on Reddit the other day that people with multiple monitors at different refresh rates are having this problem and that it's a problem with Windows 10 rather than a problem relating to the Oculus app.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    NerveGear
    snowdog said:
    I think I read on Reddit the other day that people with multiple monitors at different refresh rates are having this problem and that it's a problem with Windows 10 rather than a problem relating to the Oculus app.
    I have a setup like this and have not experienced any troubles because of it. My main monitor is at 75Hz (it should be at 60, because it can't push 10-bit color at 75Hz but it keeps resetting itself in my nvidia control panel...) and my secondary is at 60Hz. I can't speak for everyone, though. I can only say it hasn't been a problem for me, and that removing the aforementioned update resolved all of my issues.
  • nighteyes2019nighteyes2019 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    also having trouble with this windows update. Uninstalling like in the first post fixed this for me. One thing i noticed though: i installed oculus tray tool to check for performance. The hud reported 70% headroom for performance. Then i picked up both controllers and it immediately went down to -150%. lag started immediately also. Putting down the controllers reverse it, and performance goes back up to full speed.

NerveGear
    also having trouble with this windows update. Uninstalling like in the first post fixed this for me. One thing i noticed though: i installed oculus tray tool to check for performance. The hud reported 70% headroom for performance. Then i picked up both controllers and it immediately went down to -150%. lag started immediately also. Putting down the controllers reverse it, and performance goes back up to full speed.

I noticed this as well. I don't have the Oculus tray tool, but I did notice the tracking was nearly flawless with just one controller in view of the sensors. As soon as a second controller is in view, they start floating and tracking became spotty. I've seen others reporting this, as well.
    I really do hope Oculus devs are able to fix this. If everyone has to rely on Microsoft to fix this, it could be a long time before it gets done.
  • IlIfadeIlIIlIfadeIlI Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    This seems to be a short term solution.  Will there be a long term solution or will we not be able to install any new Windows Updates without sacrificing the normal use of touch controllers?
  • HamletXVHamletXV Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    YoLolo69 said:
    Mmmm, interesting. did you check the usual suspect like the (in)famous GameMode and GameBar of Windows 10 in settings? I found previous Win10 update turned it ON again sometimes and I had to turn it OFF to retrieve a fluent experience.
    This was the culprit. I tried this because I don't like to roll back updates unless it's recommended by windows, nvidia etc. I was noticing it on doom 3 bfg fully possesed or just by activating both touch controllers on oculus home, followed YoLolo69's advice and bam! problem solved for now and for future updates with game mode/bar reactivations. "The more you know :smiley: "
  • IlIfadeIlIIlIfadeIlI Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    HamletXV said:
    YoLolo69 said:
    This was the culprit. I tried this because I don't like to roll back updates unless it's recommended by windows, nvidia etc. I was noticing it on doom 3 bfg fully possesed or just by activating both touch controllers on oculus home, followed YoLolo69's advice and bam! problem solved for now and for future updates with game mode/bar reactivations. "The more you know :smiley: "
    This is a separate issue as it was happening to me and others with game bar and mode disabled.  As evidenced in this thread it doesn't seem to be effecting all systems. 
  • RukaziSintakumoRukaziSintakumo Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the exact same issue. My touch controllers are all wobbly and suddenly decide to float away from me. 
    When I use only one touch controller, everything is fine but with 2 the controls go haywire. I checked my Windows Update and I have indeed this update installed. I just send my diag files to the support, hopefully they will be able to figure out what causes this. I have friends coming over at the end of the month so I would love to show VR to them. :)
  • SatoriusSatorius Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I can  also confirm.  I removed the windows update and everything is working fine now.
  • Swifty8008Swifty8008 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I can't roll back my update either. The issue is tied to having 2 monitors connected. I have a 144Hz and a 60Hz Monitor. I Shutdown the PC and unplugged the 144Hz Monitor and rebooted. Put on my Rift and BINGO!.... 2 hand Tracking is restored tor normal and everything is fine. I hope there is a fix for this soon as I don't want to have to unplug a monitor every time I want to game in VR.
    Wintermute
    Swifty, you should be able to uninstall this win10 cumulative update via win10 settings/update and security/view updates/uninstall.  Just read though this thread to find out more details.
  • Swifty8008Swifty8008 Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Swifty, you should be able to uninstall this win10 cumulative update via win10 settings/update and security/view updates/uninstall.  Just read though this thread to find out more details.
    Yeah I don't see the bad update in question listed for me. I am on Windows 10 Insider Preview 10.0.18342.8 (19h1_release). Not sure if that is the reason.  I do have it working though as when im in VR I don't really need 2 Monitors! lol Just a pain to have to plug it back in.

Wintermute
    Ok, gotcha Swifty.  You are one brave soul to be a win10 Insider.  Probably on the Rift PTC as well, lol!

Sorry but I’m not sure about the dual monitors issues since I only use a single DP monitor.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 7
    Microsoft's page for the update now says this at the bottom:

After installing KB4482887, users may notice graphics and mouse performance degradation with desktop gaming when playing certain games (eg: Destiny 2). Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
    As a short-term resolution, users can uninstall KB4482887 to regain performance.

Hopefully it's related to our troubles and they're aware it's more than a few specific games so that they fix it properly. I already had it reinstall once, after uninstalling it again I changed my settings to having a metered connection which suspends auto updates so that it won't do it again until I know it's been resolved and I click to update manually.