cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup with no phone

NMNeil
Honored Guest
Thinking of buying a Go, but I don't have, and do not intend to get a
smartphone or a Google play account. So how else can you get it to work?
8 REPLIES 8

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

NMNeil said:

Thinking of buying a Go, but I don't have, and do not intend to get a
smartphone or a Google play account. So how else can you get it to work?

If you do not own or have access to an approved smartphone then you are best to give the Go a miss imho.  Also, you will need to set up an Oculus account.  Please have a look at the following Oculus Go support pages for more info'

https://support.oculus.com/183135912238400/

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

NMNeil
Honored Guest
Interesting. Sort of like buying a new can them being told the only way you can use it is to register with a different company so you can download an app that will allow you to use certain gas stations to fill up.
Yes, I shall give the Go a miss.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, that may be the right thing for you to do.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Diablo_83
Explorer
Do you have a tablet, as I set mine up with my Android tablet with no issues, even though I only own a Windows phone.

kevincriswell77
Explorer

NMNeil said:

Interesting. Sort of like buying a new can them being told the only way you can use it is to register with a different company so you can download an app that will allow you to use certain gas stations to fill up.

um...no   Sorry but the requirements clearly demonstrate what is needed to setup and use the Oculus Go.
It's like someone buying a rift than complaining that the rift requires a PC to operate.  Requirements are listed for a reason 

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

NMNeil said:

um...no   Sorry but the requirements clearly demonstrate what is needed to setup and use the Oculus Go.
It's like someone buying a rift than complaining that the rift requires a PC to operate.  Requirements are listed for a reason 

If it was that clear why would people be asking on a forum. ?

Richooal
Consultant

Your version of "clearly demonstrate" is different to mine.
If you go to Oculus' own web page for the Oculus Go, you get to see lots of clear info and pictures. About half way down the page you see this...............

Ready to go when you are.

Experience portable, all-in-one VR without a PC.3

That "3" on the end is in "superscript". When you scroll to the very end of the page (still with no mention of a phone being req'd), you see the explanation of the "3" in the fine print. ...................

"3" Setup requires an iPhone (iOS 10 or higher) or Android™
(6.0 Marshmallow or higher) smartphone, the Oculus app (free download),
802.11 b/g/n wireless Internet access and an Oculus account. Additional
details are available here.

This is "fine print", light grey text on a dark grey background with a link to additional details somewhere else.

There are SEVEN (7) "Buy Now" and "Add To Basket" links before you get to the fine print.

Clear?

I don't think so.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

NMNeil
Honored Guest
Point taken.
Even if I can use a tablet or borrow a smartphone there is still the issue that the only place you can get the free app to make it work is the google store or apple, both of which require that you register.
Why can't you simply download the app directly from Oculus without registering, after all they are the ones selling the product?
Seems that there is this determination from Farcebook and others to have you give your personal information at every opportunity before their products will work.
It's put me off the idea of getting a VR system.