SteamVR Very Laggy — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SteamVR Very Laggy

Brittle_Brittle_ Posts: 1
NerveGear
I've seen many of this question, but they are all from older years and none of the answers seem to have helped. My Oculus Rift works perfectly on games using the Oculus app, but if I try to use any 3rd party VR programs (including SteamVR) the display lags like hell and I can't do anything. If anyone is able to let me know how to solve this, it would be appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• ImmediateBangImmediateBang Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi there, I just want to say that I also have been experiencing this exact problem. I cannot offer any advice but I just want you to know that you're not the only one! (Im using the rift s)
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 30
    Same here, I can't play any of my SteamVR games with the Rift S because of the poor performance. Some hicups here and there, and a feeling that it cannot reach the 80Hz needed to perfect smoothness. I did a clean w10 install, put the minimum, Steam and Oculus software but it didn't help. It seems to be a rare phenomenon. Very few users have this problem. Or maybe they are less demanding... I don't know.
    A workaround is to try Open Composite. As it works fine with some games, it is very buggy with others. You can give a try but it is not a solution in my particular case.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I had the Oculus Rift and never had a problem playing SteamVR games...I recently upgraded to Oculus Rift S and now SteamVR is pretty much unplayable. I would have never upgraded and stayed on the Oculus platform if I was only going to be able to play games in the Oculus ecosystem.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 848
    3Jane
    I'll be the odd one out and note that Steam performance is equal to that of the native Oculus games for me, but for the ones having issues - have you checked the video settings in SteamVR?  It tends to default to stupid :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Hiro Protagonist
    RattyUK said:
    I'll be the odd one out and note that Steam performance is equal to that of the native Oculus games for me, but for the ones having issues - have you checked the video settings in SteamVR?  It tends to default to stupid :)
    No matter the amount of ss I apply in steamvr settings, still laggy.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • AndyBruceAndyBruce Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My Steam VR games are unplayable. Sometimes they start out OK but quite quickly the frame rate drops and I need to shut them down. Steam has always been a bit tricky to get working but it seems to be much worse recently. No problem with Oculus Store content.  I feel a bit cheated as I've spent a lot of money on Steam VR games.  Is someone perhaps making life difficult on Steam to encourage exclusive Oculus Store use,  or am I paranoid?
  • JimmyelyJimmyely Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    You cant fix this
    3Jane
    Are you folk having performance issues runing the release version of steamVR - I've stuck on the beta release since I got the Original Rift, not saying that some of the beta releases were great, but in general they have been 'kind' to me.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't have major issue with SteamVR. By the way I never managed to get most of the SteamVR games as performant as Oculus ones with the Rift S. They are slightly less smooth. Even with a clean W10 installation. I think most of users won't see the difference but this subtle difference in framerate make me buy preferably on the Oculus store. I have noticed that when asw is active, there is no difference between oculus and steam.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,805 Valuable Player
    What system specs are people using?  Steam performs perfectly fine on my machine.  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gb ram and a GTX 1070 card.  Steam ran fine on my old machine as well, it was an I7 2600k w/ 16 gigs ram and a GTX 1060 6gb card.  Steam plays fine on my brothers laptop that only has a 1060, it plays fine on my friends computer that has an I7 6700k w/ 16 gb ram and a 1060 6gb.  Am I and 100% of the people I personally know that own rift in the minority?  It's an obvious issue, I've read about steam being a problem since I got an Oculus Rift way back in august of 2016, but I've never experienced it myself.
    3Jane
    falken76 said:
    What system specs are people using?  Steam performs perfectly fine on my machine.  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gb ram and a GTX 1070 card.  Steam ran fine on my old machine as well, it was an I7 2600k w/ 16 gigs ram and a GTX 1060 6gb card.  Steam plays fine on my brothers laptop that only has a 1060, it plays fine on my friends computer that has an I7 6700k w/ 16 gb ram and a 1060 6gb.  Am I and 100% of the people I personally know that own rift in the minority?  It's an obvious issue, I've read about steam being a problem since I got an Oculus Rift way back in august of 2016, but I've never experienced it myself.
    And that is the PC scene in a nutshell, what appears to be fine on many PC's can be drivel on the same spec machine!  I have no idea why except that possibly those of us who 'have the knowledge' will tweak for performance whereas others leave things as they are?