New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would you recommend your Oculus Products to others?

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,975 Valuable Player
After 3 years of mainstream VR and two leading HMD's on the market (Rift, GO), as we march towards the release of Quest I am curious as to how many of us would actually recommend an Oculus product to someone else.
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Would you recommend your Oculus Products to others? 61 votes

Yes, I would recommend an Oculus VR HMD
83%
kojackNekto2vanfanelbigmike20vtNeawoulfnalex66MradrDaftnDirectpjennessRolzLuluViBritanniaLitespeedThugKNP54snowdogbizjerTechy111GreymanSkScotcheggCrashFu 51 votes
No, I would not recommend an Oculus VR HMD
9%
LuciferousTC1999oldgamergazzaRichooalzaphod.parkerParadoxAnomaly 6 votes
Unsure. I would not give an opinion either "for" or "against" an Oculus HMD
6%
PIXELATEDDevlin-Darksidesford52rednekcowboy77 4 votes

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,299 Valuable Player
    edited March 11

No brainer.

Edit: and I already have... several times.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,779 Valuable Player
    I have recommended to several flight sim folks, some of whom purchased one.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 391
    Nexus 6
    well i recommend it based on a few tweaks;

- face foam covered using 3rd party cover
    - not too tight straps
    - uses prescription glasses, again from 3rd party
    - has gtx 1060 video card and at least i5 cpu, 8gb ram, windows 10
    - buys and uses virtual desktop, along with some good games like beat saber, or free games like that french cartoon or henry

thats a few necessities there, out of the box i don't think so, the face foam alone is enough is a distraction. but once its all set up it can be nice to go to every now and then and be amazed at the beauty.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,930 Valuable Player
    edited March 11
    A bit open ended huh? LOL

I guess to expand this more - I would NOT recommend the CV1 atm until after the Quest release to new users or users that dont have a PC atm to rush out to get one for the CV1.

I would recommend a Oculus product if:
    1) Its your first VR product
    2) You want to save money compare to what is out there
    3) Want a simple setup and play experience

I would not recommend Oculus if:
    1) You are looking for edge case better experience in a area (either it be FOV, resolution, or super high end. There are better HMD out there in terms of one area or another)
    2) Dont mind paying higher prices for edge case use
    3) if your name was Atmos
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,056
    Wintermute
    my friends and family (still) get tired of me bashing on about how awesome it is
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • RolzRolz Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    yes, but then now other manufacturers are bring out newer units my lovely CV1 is looking a bit dated... still a shame Oculus is going down the low hanging fruit market path of mobile VR... 
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 655
    Neo
    edited March 11
    I would say Yes with the caveat that you probably should wait and see what is coming over jumping in today unless you're going for the Quest. That said, if I were to recommend a VR headset to someone who wanted to jump in today and didn't want to wait, I'd easily point to the Rift for the average user. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,975 Valuable Player
    edited March 11
    Mradr said:

Not even a little bit. This would be open-ended,
    "What do you think about Oculus products?"

I give 3 choices that are very specific, and you actually do fall in to one category; you just don't realize it yet! That's okay though, I'll guide your path, sugar bear.

I guess to expand this more - I would NOT recommend the CV1 atm until after the Quest release to new users or users that dont have a PC atm to rush out to get one for the CV1.

I was not asking about a specific Oculus product, but any Oculus product. This is a question about the confidence and trust a consumer has on Oculus' ability to deliver a quality product both now and in the future. Based on everything you may have experienced up to this point.

So you are Option 3, as you would neither recommend "for" or "against" due to the fact that there are strict conditions required before you can make a choice.

Option 3 is the answer you were looking for!

edited March 11
    Zenbane said:
    Mradr said:

Not even a little bit. This would be open-ended,
    "What do you think about Oculus products?"

I give 3 choices that are very specific, and you actually do fall in to one category; you just don't realize it yet! That's okay though, I'll guide your path, sugar bear.

I was not asking about a specific Oculus product, but any Oculus product. This is a question about the confidence and trust a consumer has on Oculus' ability to deliver a quality product both now and in the future. Based on everything you may have experienced up to this point.

So you are Option 3, as you would neither recommend "for" or "against" due to the fact that there are strict conditions required before you can make a choice.

Option 3 is the answer you were looking for!

Point made though - its a bit open ended you could read into this into many different views. Aka, why even pyroth added extra to his answer:)

As for my answer - I gave good reasons to my answer to support it as an over all view. Unless you fall into the extras edge cases - you pretty much will want to get a Oculus product:)

I think sweet stuff we will need to talk about this more when you get home:)
    edited March 11
    Mradr said:
    Point made though - its a bit open ended you could read into this into many different views. Aka, why even pyroth added extra to his answer:)

Well no, it's all about one thing: Would you recommend.

Many people have expanded on their answer because it does require thinking lol. Just because you need to think about your answer doesn't mean that the question was open-ended. Open-ended questions have "no limit our boundary" but my question does, and that limit/boundary is whether or not you would recommend an Oculus product.

The things you choose to argue about... lmao. You really need a working VR HMD, stat!
    But I did answer surger sweet. I said I would recommend:) Then follow up with reasons to my recommending with a warrning to wait for Quest first before jumping the gun on CV1 for now if you are just a person just now getting into VR to see how it performs, but over all still get a Oculus product:)
    Zenbane said:

The things you choose to argue about... lmao. You really need a working VR HMD, stat!
    I know its a joke between us ;P but that still not good to say out in public like that:)
    sometimes really wish gifs had sound, 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeh,urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, fu..'
    and now I want give every little kiddy one of those ice thingies
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    Yeah, that kiddo was about to drop her first sugar-induced F-Bomb
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,677 Valuable Player
    edited March 12
    Of course. I would recommend the RIFT anytime. Anything is better than HTCs lineup of garbage. 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,694 Valuable Player
    I should get a commission from Oculus, I've suggeted this to at least 5 people that have purchased it.  (Rift) One of my friends loved it so much, he's getting a quest because he can't afford the computer, the GPU AND the HMD.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,583 Valuable Player
    edited March 12
    Cant comment on the Go... but the rift.
    is it perfect?  No!
    but if you already have a decent spec gaming PC the cost of the rift means it offers outstanding value.
    you get some great games, industry leading motion controls and a HMD which holds it own against any others out there.
    As a package IF someone is interested in VR, for the price it is unrivaled *****imo.
    *****In the UK nyway. Perhaps the Samsung Odyssey package gives it a run for its money, but i would not know as Samsung chose not to sell it in the UK.

Funnily enough tho, whilst I WOULD without question recommend the rift, I cant lie... I am concerned about the direction & timeframe oculus may be going with their next PC HMD.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,557
    Wintermute
    edited March 12
    I voted No but that is only because at present I would not recommend anybody buy a HMD until we see if a Rift S or a Valve headset are launched and which one emerges victorious. I left out Vive there as I see no hope of them surprising us with anything worthy or sensibly priced in the near future.
    edited March 12

I think that's a fair point, I'd tell people the same thing as we're probably close to seeing new headsets... see what Rift-S is like, especially as it's likely to have a price that's comparable to today's Rift...or maybe see the new Vive (is that definitely going to happen? but in that case I have major doubt about its value for money and maybe its lens technology compared to what Oculus are now achieving.

I was answering the poll on the basis that that I'm not including future headsets, in other words it's an indicator of my satisfaction of what I've spent my hard-earned on and how I'd expect anyone to feel if they'd gone with my recommendations when I'd made them in the past.

I am though including all currently available headsets taking into account price and problems. So the question maybe should be... if someone had to buy a headset today... would you recommend your Oculus to them over any other?

• sford52sford52 Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    edited March 12
    Unsure. I would not give an opinion either "for" or "against" an Oculus HMD
    Neither/Both.

1) Yes: to my friends who are computer literate, know how to trouble shoot issues and how to correctly ask for help (state your issues, when it started, your hardware/software. what you've tried, etc) and have some patience.  It's fun when it works.

2) No: to my friends who have limited to no computer skills, become easily frustrated, are impatient. On one hand I am awed at the Oculus folks for what they have accomplished given the myriad of hardware, firmware, OS, and other software out there. On the other hand, the Rift PCVR is still a little too cutting edge (and rough on that cutting edge) to give an open ended recommendation.  The issues with continually redownloading the same huge updates, the very very poor error diagnostics, the fact that one of the most common solutions is to "uninstall/reinstall".

3) Yes: based on my experience with rift. On a laptop. An unapproved laptop. Once I got past the initial stages its been reliable and fun. No regrets.

4) No: based on reading this online forum. SO many problems, so many unresolved issues, so many people not getting even basic responses.
       Yes: based on reading this online forum. Some folks are really helpful, really helpful, and will make an effort to help other users in a civil and courteous manner. These folks are gold, Jerry, GOLD. Plus, there can be some fun and interesting topics posted here.

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,649 Volunteer Moderator
    @sford52 support forums are usually ALL about issues, that is by design. The volume of issues is relatively low compared to how many of the Rift's are out there. I do admit that a lot of issues are from Laptops or badly configured hardware, or people trying to run the headset on PC's that are below minimum spec. I think once we get rid of sensors and adopt inside out tracking, things will be a lot easier to set up.

I would and have recommended Oculus products to friends etc, Oculus Rift is a gen 1 product that requires a bit of computer literacy ... I have been lucky enough not to have a single issue, in fact, my laser printer gives me more issues :| ... The Oculus GO is a great entry level headset and I recommend it to everyone who is not a PC Gamer.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    I voted No but that is only because at present I would not recommend anybody buy a HMD until we see if a Rift S or a Valve headset are launched and which one emerges victorious. I left out Vive there as I see no hope of them surprising us with anything worthy or sensibly priced in the near future.
    But what about Quest and GO ?  For your non-PC literate friends
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,557
    Wintermute
    edited March 15
    But what about Quest and GO ?  For your non-PC literate friends
    I Don't own a Go and the Quest is still not released :)

It does say would you recommend your Oculus products and so taking that literally, that answer would still be no at present. Oculus as a company, I have nothing but praise for generally.

• Epona0000Epona0000 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Yup, I would, with the knowledge i've gleaned from hardware acquisitions and setup. All in all it's a good platform... Thought I was excited about the digital eye-tracking version from a competitor.but that has to be buggy. But an interesting way to go.

I haven't played with any folks on here in cooperative games, so I reserve that opinion until after that. I don't like gettin' spanked (online).. I usually have a game that does it quite well for me..
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 953
    3Jane
    I've been avoiding this poll, but today I'm unable to use my hardware to simply view software that I have already downloaded. This is simply because this excellent device is becoming too entwined with Facebook.

I know lots of you love your Facebook lives and that's fine. Facebook can still use the Oculus VR platform for their social media but, I believe, they need to put in some form of separation. The Facebook social aspect should be a selectable App, just like Rec Room for example.

It bugs me that it takes so long for "Home" to load (on a machine with RECOMMENDED specs) even though I don't want the "Home".
    All I need is a VR interface (HMD and Touch Controllers) which allows me to access my Account, the Store, and my Library. It would be simple to click on a button or menu item to load "Home" if I needed it and all it's attached fluff.

BTW, voting "no" doesn't sit well with me because the Rift is an excellent device, and so far, I've had great responses from Support when needed.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Richooal said:
    I know lots of you love your Facebook lives and that's fine.

My "facebook life" is like 90% meme's lol

If you can create a forum account, then you can create a Facebook Account. You don't have to use Facebook in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable. You don't even have to use it at all other than as a placeholder for your VR activities.

I've always found it odd that people feel comfortable creating Accounts on Forum software but not Social Media software.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 953
    3Jane
    I do have a Facebook account but it is only so that I could access a relative's albums, and it contains minimal identifying info.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    I haven't logged into my Facebook account for over a year. I guess I don't have a Facebook life.
    edited March 13

Richooal said:
    I do have a Facebook account but it is only so that I could access a relative's albums, and it contains minimal identifying info.
    I respect your decision to vote "no" based on Facebook's increased pressure for Oculus product owners to rely on the FB Social Media platform. That's an opinion that should most certainly be voiced.

That being said, Facebook has large chunks of our data even outside of Facebook. Including our usage of this very forum. Facebook regularly buys consumer online web traffic data from multiple 3rd Parties. All of our Internet Activity is logged, sold, and analyzed to multiple organizations. Facebook is just one of many who purchases this data. So even if someone doesn't have a Facebook Account, they still have a profile of who you are and what you do online.

It's just part of "the internet of things."
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    I'd recomend the rift even though they have a few design flaws like the audio cutting off because of a ribbon cable, they should've made it like a welder's helmet with the tightening in the back of the head so it would've left the delicate parts and wires alone. The foam face mask should've came with what "VR cover" is selling, not that uncleanable foam. The rest is pretty awesome for the price and time we're in, hopefully we will see a rift 2 soon with these flaws fixed
    Oculus Rift dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory, MSI 1070-TI
     on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard, EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
This discussion has been closed.