New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BSOD IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL / Windows 10

TheMSWSTheMSWS Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited March 13 in Support
Hello,

I recently received an Oculus Rift as a gift. I was able to set it up and play with it for the first two days. However, on the third day, my computer started having issues with all VR games. After playing a few minutes within them, a blue screen would pop up with the error message of "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL". There haven't been any new software updates, and I have Google'd a fair amount searching for an answer.

I'm very afraid that it's a hardware issue, as I've tried almost everything else. I have sent a support ticket on Oculus' website, and I have talked to 3 different Microsoft Support representatives. All three of theme have attempted different solutions, each one being more drastic than the previous one. I have already tried reinstalling my display adapter, reinstalling the Oculus application (and starting it in compatability mode), and (of course) restarting my computer many times. There aren't any new Windows updates, and nothing pops up from Windows Defender.

The BSOD does not occur outside of a VR game, and I have run a small benchmark tool to try to stress test my GPU/other hardware components and the blue screen did not happen.

What should I do? Was it possible that I damaged my computer the first two days when I was playing VR? (I haven't manually setup anything like overclocking, is it possible for my computer to overclock without me setting that up?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,576 Valuable Player
    That's an error in windows I don't like lol. It can be so many things. Usually it's a Driver problem or it can be a bad windows service from antivirus or a backup utility or a stick of RAM is bad. If it's only happening with the rift and not other games, it's probably something USB related. Try unplugging everything and plugging back 1 at a time. Maybe just try running 1 sensor and see if it still happens. Older USB controllers have issues with the Rift in that case you'd have to get a USB expansion. 

You can try some of this stuff - https://neosmart.net/wiki/irql-not-less-or-equal/#Causes_of_this_Error  but the last time I ran into this, I couldn't solve it and just reinstalled windows. 
  • TheMSWSTheMSWS Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    pyroth309 said:
    That's an error in windows I don't like lol. It can be so many things. Usually it's a Driver problem or it can be a bad windows service from antivirus or a backup utility or a stick of RAM is bad. If it's only happening with the rift and not other games, it's probably something USB related. Try unplugging everything and plugging back 1 at a time. Maybe just try running 1 sensor and see if it still happens. Older USB controllers have issues with the Rift in that case you'd have to get a USB expansion. 

You can try some of this stuff - https://neosmart.net/wiki/irql-not-less-or-equal/#Causes_of_this_Error  but the last time I ran into this, I couldn't solve it and just reinstalled windows. 
    Doesn't sound promising. Thanks for your reply, I'll save the reinstallation of windows as last.

Is there a way to test if it's the RAM that's causing an issue? (Other than getting a new stick)
    TheMSWS said:
    Is there a way to test if it's the RAM that's causing an issue? (Other than getting a new stick)

• TheMSWSTheMSWS Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Oculus Support has helped resolve my issue. Here are the steps I took to fix this issue.

1. Disconnect the computer from the internet
    2. Backup any necessary content using instructions here
      • Please note, if you restore your games from a backup, you’ll lose your saved games
    3. Reboot into Safe Mode
    4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel
    5. Delete all Oculus folders from C:\Program Files
    6. Remove any Oculus folder from here: (If you’ve installed the Oculus app in a different drive, please change the drive letter as appropriate)
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
      • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
    7. Restart the computer in normal mode and signed into Windows user account that has administrator privileges
    8. Reconnect the computer to the internet
    9. Install Oculus Home

Interesting, thanks for reporting back for what solved it for you. Enjoy playing the Rift again.