New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nvidia kills off 3D vision

WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/11/nvidia-ends-3d-vision-support/

Bollox. I use this tech to output full 1080p resolution (not SBS) 3d movies to my projector using the 3D vision support in Stereoscopic player.
:cry:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb
«1

Comments

  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,066 Valuable Player
    this is sad news but.......... 3DTV play is free for everyone now?  that is interesting does anyone know if this will work when using a steamlink?  (My 3D TV is in the lounge)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    @bigmike20vt - Have you got a link for free 3DTV for everyone? I thought it was free for anyone who had Nvidia 3D vision glasses and the kit plugged into their PC like I have?

    This is not good news for my 3D projector.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @bigmike20vt - Have you got a link for free 3DTV for everyone? I thought it was free for anyone who had Nvidia 3D vision glasses and the kit plugged into their PC like I have?

    This is not good news for my 3D projector.
    I bought 3DTV for 20 bucks back in the day. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    @Wildt - Are 3DTV and Nvidia 3D vision Player the same thing? I've got Nvidia 3D vision Player installed and it was free because I have the emitter connected to my PC.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    RedRizla said:
    @Wildt - Are 3DTV and Nvidia 3D vision Player the same thing? I've got Nvidia 3D vision Player installed and it was free because I have the emitter connected to my PC.
    Nopes. This page shows the difference:

    So in essence, I payed to get support for the frame packed HDMI 3D standard, that my projector needs to display full resolution 1080p 24fps 3D movies.

    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    @Wildt - So is there a work around? Say if you kept the old driver instead of updating would that work?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Wildt - So is there a work around? Say if you kept the old driver instead of updating would that work?
    Yeah, I think that's what they said.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    Can anyone link me to the driver that has 3D TV for free for a Geforce 1080, I can't find it? The latest drivers are 419 not 418 now and Nvidia say they will only support 418? I'm a bit confused. Cheers!
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Sad news indeed, I've been using their 3D driver since the Win 98 days.  You don't need their driver if you have the full stereoscopic player licence. change the output to side by side and you should be able to switch to 3D from your projector..I use stereoscopic player mostly to convert old field sequential 3D movies to side by side. As far as 3D play being free to everyone. I'm pretty sure 3D play is their anaglyph / red and blue glasses. 
     I just got 3D vision working with my 1080ti and projector. Movies look great using the the 3D vision driver, but not really necessary. I play SBS movies with power DVD and just enable SBS on the projector. 
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    edited March 15
    RedRizla said:
    Can anyone link me to the driver that has 3D TV for free for a Geforce 1080, I can't find it? The latest drivers are 419 not 418 now and Nvidia say they will only support 418? I'm a bit confused. Cheers!
     When you enable 3D in your control panel, run the set-up wizard. if you have their wireless emitter plugged in and a supported device you will be able to use the full driver, if not and you fail that test they give you a desktop shortcut to 3D play. If you have a projector that's not officially supported, there are ways to get it working. Software edid hacks or the old hardware way https://3dvision-blog.com/4100-how-to-use-any-3d-dlp-projector-together-with-3d-vision/

    Edit: I read some of that about 3D TV driver, I didn't know there was a driver for sale at some point. Looks like a lot of info and game fixes from the Nvidia 3D community. I'm a bit confused myself, but I think I read an update in April will be free  https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/49/

    This says available now https://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    ohgrant said:
    Sad news indeed, I've been using their 3D driver since the Win 98 days.  You don't need their driver if you have the full stereoscopic player licence. change the output to side by side and you should be able to switch to 3D from your projector..I use stereoscopic player mostly to convert old field sequential 3D movies to side by side. As far as 3D play being free to everyone. I'm pretty sure 3D play is their anaglyph / red and blue glasses. 
     I just got 3D vision working with my 1080ti and projector. Movies look great using the the 3D vision driver, but not really necessary. I play SBS movies with power DVD and just enable SBS on the projector. 

    @ohgrant - That link you gave shows a 14 day free trial for 3D TV, but the link that Wildt put up says: "NVIDIA's tool for running games on 3D TVs, 3DTV Play, is now bundled with the Release 418 drivers for free. However, the 3D Vision Video Player app will only be available (again for free) through the end of 2019."

    So is the above saying that 3DTV is free with Nvidia driver 418? We are now on Geforce driver 419, so I'm totally confused? I just want to know if 3D TV comes free with any Geforce driver that starts with 418? Like Geforce driver 418.91 for example?
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    I tried that 14 day trial download, apparently it's just an authorization tool for the 3D driver that comes bundled with the driver.I tried it without spoofing the edid and I still only got the option for anaglyph (discover glasses).. 
    I'm still under the impression that the free driver will still only work for supported devices and all others will just get access to the anaglyph.. Am I correct?  If I'm correct in thinking you have a 3D device but not officially 3D vision. I see many threads in the NV 3D forums with software edid hacks getting all types of 3D devices, active and passive TV's and dlp projectors. If all that fails, I can confirm that getting the wireless emiter . using the modded DVI adapter with a display port adapter. works and gives me full access to the vision driver. Not VIA the HDMI port though. I have to go VGA in for it to work. To my understanding, the software edid mod works VIA the HDMI and is probably a better option if there is a good edid available, or you're good at making one. 
     IZ3D, Tridef, and now 3D Vision. That is the last of the PC 3D driver devs to abandon the tech.  Awesome some game makers are releasing already rendered in SBS format like Crysis 3, looks great in virtual desktop in 3D without the need for any additional driver. I think I will buy any game that the devs saw fit to release in SBS.   
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 15
    @ohgrant - I have a DPL projector and I have the Nvidia 3D vision emitter plugged into the same PC I my projector hooked up to. I am then able to play 3D stereoscopic games like I would on my 144Hz PC monitor, but I use the DPL 3D glasses instead which my projector recognises. I am also able to watch sterioscopic 3D using Nvidia 3D vision Player. So is it only because I have the emitter connected to the same PC that allows me to do this, if I unplugged the emitter none of this would work correct?
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    edited March 16
    ohgrant said:
    You don't need their driver if you have the full stereoscopic player licence. change the output to side by side and you should be able to switch to 3D from your projector.
    You cannot get full resolution 1080p 3D using SBS or OU on a device that won't accept 3840x1080 or 1920x2160, which my projector certainly doesn't. You need frame packing, which is unlocked by 3DTV.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 16
    Anyways, it's a bit shite of Nvidia to do this when it sold so many Nvida 3D vision kits for 3D monitors. Lots of people still game on 1080p monitors because of the 144Hz you can get. It would hurt them to continue support for a few more years at-least until 4k monitors have grown in popularity. Nobody I know is using a 4k monitor at present due to 1080 having 144Hz.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    @ohgrant - I have a DPL projector and I have the Nvidia 3D vision emitter plugged into the same PC I my projector hooked up to. I am then able to play 3D stereoscopic games like I would on my 144Hz PC monitor, but I use the DPL 3D glasses instead which my projector recognises. I am also able to watch sterioscopic 3D using Nvidia 3D vision Player. So is it only because I have the emitter connected to the same PC that allows me to do this, if I unplugged the emitter none of this would work correct?

      Interesting, thanks for sharing your setup. I was considering a 3D vision ready monitor before NV made the announcement. I need to unplug my current passive 3D monitor to get 3D vision to work and with the edid mod, it then recognizes my HD projector as a VGA monitor and reduces the resolution a bit.  If I'm understanding correctly, the 144Hz monitor you are using is also necessary for 3D vision? I'm wondering if the free to all is going to get rid of the need for the edid hack. Did you have to pay for an additional driver to get this functionality?    
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,066 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @bigmike20vt - Have you got a link for free 3DTV for everyone? I thought it was free for anyone who had Nvidia 3D vision glasses and the kit plugged into their PC like I have?

    This is not good news for my 3D projector.
    Maybe I missread it but it was on a site I was reading. It said it was unlocked in the latest drivers for everyone (no link to hand sorry)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 16
    @Ohgrant - My PC monitor has nothing to do with how all this works on my Projector. I use the Nvidia 3D vision kit and the emitter isn't built into the Pc monitor, it's just plugged into a usb port on my PC. Here's a pic of the Nvidia kit I use. I believe all you really need is the emitter because I use my DPL glasses for my projector.

    I have even used just my Projector and DPL glasses to run the Nvidia 3D vision setup. Basically I think the emitter is just allowing me to do all this I didn't pay for any driver or anything.


  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited March 16
    Edit.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,035 Valuable Player
    I used to have the 3D monitor and glasses for this.  Loved playing Left for Dead 2 on it. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    I used to have the 3D monitor and glasses for this.  Loved playing Left for Dead 2 on it. 

    I loved playing Left for Dead too, but I don't think other online players liked me playing it. They reckoned I sucked at playing it.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    The new 430.39 drivers are the first to not offer 3D vision :(
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    Crap that Nvidia has stopped supporting 3D vision when they sold the Nvidia 3D vision kits. Wouldn't hurt them to continue to support it for a few years instead of just announcing that they are stopping and doing it so soon.
  • Dawas19Dawas19 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    It's sad to hear it
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Yeah, this is pretty sad but not all that unexpected. I mean, they stopped making 3D monitors and TVs several years ago, so it's kind of been moving in that direction. Truth be told, I don't even remember the last game I played with Nvidia 3D Vision (and I sold my 3D monitors last year, just have a projector left).
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    edited April 27
    @TheRealCyber - I've just downloaded the Nvida drivers for both the Geforce 1080 & 2080Ti that support 3D drivers. I'll just have to make sure I have a second Pc that will always be able to do 3D on my projector. I think if more people had the space for a 3D projector, then 3D might have taken off because it's brilliant to see 3D on a projector. It's so much better then seeing it on a small television.
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Yeah, I saved the 418 drivers just in case. At least if I don't upgrade my HTPC it should still work for a bit. 3D on a projector is cool, but being limited to 720p is a bummer. Especially after gaming on 4K, dropping down to 720p is not great. At least we can still watch 3D Blu Ray on PS4, that is mostly what I use the projector for but not that often to be honest.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,669 Valuable Player
    @TheRealCyber - Bit of confusion that you might be able to clear up for me. I've downloaded the 419 drivers and they seem to work with 3D. Also, @Wildt says it's the 430 drivers that have stopped doing 3D, so I'm presuming the 419 drivers are alright? Would that be correct?
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    Sounds about right. I updated my laptop last night to the 430 drivers and 3D Vision was gone from the options.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,013 Valuable Player
    edited April 27
    RedRizla said:
    @TheRealCyber - Bit of confusion that you might be able to clear up for me. I've downloaded the 419 drivers and they seem to work with 3D. Also, @Wildt says it's the 430 drivers that have stopped doing 3D, so I'm presuming the 419 drivers are alright? Would that be correct?
    Yup - 430.39 is the first driver without 3D vision. I'm currently on 425.31.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
Sign In or Register to comment.