cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen Oculus rift help!

CrimsonKing2802
Honored Guest
so I just bought a new rift and an Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptop. For some reason, it displays a black screen with an orange light when I try to set it up. Help would be greatly appreciated!
6 REPLIES 6

Richooal
Consultant
I'll never understand Oculus' documentation.
They say minimum GPU spec is the GTX 1050 Ti, but they have the "Oculus Ready" label on a Nitro 5 with a GTX 1050.
8ea5zu06khxy.jpg

Which model do you have, GTX1050 or GTX1050Ti ?
How far into the set up did you get and did all the connections show as ok?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

CrimsonKing2802
Honored Guest
GTX1050 but I know someone who has an Alienware Predator that has the same GPU and his oculus works just fine. I got to the part in the setup where I was putting the headset on for the first time. it showed all connections being ok.

Wayne5825
Honored Guest
I have the same device and what you need to do is download the latest update from nvidia to your laptop.

So first go to the oculus support page and follow the link for upgrading your graphics card software. You will have to use internet explorer and download the latest java software but after that you can download the latest driver for your graphics card. And then your rift will work just fine. Ignore richooal.

Richooal
Consultant

Wayne5825 said:

I have the same device and what you need to do is download the latest update from nvidia to your laptop.

So first go to the oculus support page and follow the link for upgrading your graphics card software. You will have to use internet explorer and download the latest java software but after that you can download the latest driver for your graphics card. And then your rift will work just fine. Ignore richooal.

What kind of rubbish is that?
You don't need to use a specific browser, Java has nothing to do with it, and you don't need to go to Oculus for an NVidia driver.

You just go to NVidia's website for NVidia drivers..........
https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

Crikey, this guy is straight from Wayne's World.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Wayne5825
Honored Guest
You are right that you can go to nvidia's website for the driver that is where the links from oculus support page takes you. It is just easier to get to the right page from the support page.

You are however wrong about the browser. Once on nvidia's website if you dont know exactly what driver you need they do a scan and tell you which one. For the scan to work properly it does need to be internet explorer. It evens says that on nvidia's site.

I was just trying to explain the easiest way without knowing how tech savvy someone is.

CrimsonKing2802
Honored Guest
Thank you both. I will look into this.