Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming - Page 14 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brace yourselves: Official Rift-S reveal is coming

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,910 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Aekero said:
    It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
    Yeah, that price was rather painful.

But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? :)
    (Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)

You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Dooguk said:
    Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.

Nope, unlikely. We'll end up paying £399.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Right, Oculus probably wants a good 100,000 million people to own a Rift-S. Compared to what... somewhere between 2-4 million who currently own a Rift CV1?

Rift-S isn't really targeting existing PCVR owners; it's targeting the global market.

If you think about it, in 12 months or 2 years at most, Lenovo will be able to partner with Oculus and sell an Oculus Ready PC for £500.
  • DoogukDooguk Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:
    Dooguk said:
    Well $400 (before tax) will probably end up being nearer £500 (after tax) here in rip-off Britain.

Nope, unlikely. We'll end up paying £399.

You might. I won't be. ;)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,906 Valuable Player
    i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high spec rift as well as the rift S.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Zenbane said:
    snowdog said:
    I can't believe that after my Nerd Rage in that thread I created about the inside out tracking I seem to be the only one that's thinking of getting one lol

Yep. You and I literally just switched places lol

That means that I should try and get myself banned from here now lol

I'm still waiting on what's going to happen with Constellation tracking and whether the Insight tracking on its own out of the box is good enough. If I do get one then I'm going to give my old Rift to a mate of mine so I want to know if I'm going to be giving him three sensors or just two lol

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,278 Valuable Player

I should have made this prediction public sooner, but here was my thinking when I started this thread,

I was worried at first that the "rumor" of the Rift-S being announced was going to be false. And I felt this way because historically, Facebook uses their own events (Facebook Dev Conference, Oculus Connect) to make official announcements.

But when the rumor started to become more and more solidified, I got worried again. I started to think that the Rift- S was going to kinda suck. And I thought this for the same reason... since Facebook uses their own events for big announcements, then if they announced Rift-S at something like GDC, it could be a crapfest!

Anywho, I'm not all doom n gloom about Rift-S. I like the visual upgrades, but my primary concern is the tracking. I will wait and see what more info is released about it, while also keeping my eye on other vendors that have a proper solution that includes full 360 tracking AND proper hand-controllers.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,847 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

I should have made this prediction public sooner, but here was my thinking when I started this thread,

I was worried at first that the "rumor" of the Rift-S being announced was going to be false. And I felt this way because historically, Facebook uses their own events (Facebook Dev Conference, Oculus Connect) to make official announcements.

But when the rumor started to become more and more solidified, I got worried again. I started to think that the Rift- S was going to kinda suck. And I thought this for the same reason... since Facebook uses their own events for big announcements, then if they announced Rift-S at something like GDC, it could be a crapfest!

Anywho, I'm not all doom n gloom about Rift-S. I like the visual upgrades, but my primary concern is the tracking. I will wait and see what more info is released about it, while also keeping my eye on other vendors that have a proper solution that includes full 360 tracking AND proper hand-controllers.

We need Oculus to send you a Rift-S for review  B) I have little trust in most other reviewers - they often miss the most important things. And they may not be dedicated enough to the CV1 to truly experience the most important differences. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 492
    Trinity

kojack said:
    Aekero said:
    It's like the vive to vive pro upgrade, but to Oculus' credit they didn't make the rift-s $1200. 
    Yeah, that price was rather painful.

But spec wise, the Vive Pro was a bigger jump. It went from 1080x1200 to 1440x1600 and added headphones. The Rift-S went from 1080x1200 to 1280x1440 and removed headphones.

So if the Vive Pro was considered a Vive 1.5, then I guess Rift-S is a Rift 1.25? :)
    (Well, somewhere between 0.8 and 1.5 for me, depending on the situation in which I'm using it)
    I have two HDMs, the CV1 and the Dell visor, the Dell visor is 1440 × 1440, so i suppose that bump in the S to 1280x1440 is not too bad, but is it enough to justify the price.......i don't really know at this point.
  • sonicnerd14sonicnerd14 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    So I guess Quest it is. If I'm going to upgrade from my Rift I'd rather spend that money on a Samsung Odyssey +, or future next gen headset. 
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    This doesn't look like a step forward as much as a trade-off...

And if your main issue was the insufficient faceplate width and limited IPD range support, it's not even a trade-off it's a step backwards.

If my CV1 was broken I might even hesitate between buying a CV1-S or a bargain priced new CV1 really...

I hope my first impression is proved wrong :(
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,522 Valuable Player
    While at this time I am about decided on going with the new HP unit, I will still probably get a Quest as well for some other games I could play with it.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Will they be announcing the Quest sale date?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,663 Valuable Player
    Oculus make this statement though...

Improved optics and display technology deliver a sharper picture with higher pixel density for an even more immersive gaming experience. Games on Rift have never looked better.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    It has Touch controllers and improved visuals.  There are many like it but do those others work so well with the Oculus software platform - i doubt it.

I'll be buying a Quest for now and we'll see what people say about this Rift S.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,522 Valuable Player
    And here I used to think not much long ago I would be one of the first in line to order a new version of Rift.
    Things change I guess.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Here's a question for everybody:

If the Rift 2 were planned with sensors, surely for this Rift S they would be best just upgrading the lenses, screens and Touch controllers - wasn't even any need to rename it, just say there are some hardware improvements.

If they sell 1 - 2 million of these Rift S, will those 2 million be peeved off if the Rift 2 comes out and requires sensors?

Therefore, does this release tell us which way tracking is going for Rift 2?
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,573
    Project 2501
    i wonder why they used Go screen and not quest screens?

oculus said they want 3 product lines, i hope in the future they do not replace the go and the quest takes that slack and they introduce a high spec rift as well as the rift S.
    I don't get that either. I'm thinking they were obsessed with the price. 

Everyone was hoping for simply a wired Quest. 

I'm beginning to think my next headset will be a Vive. The knuckles controllers look awesome. 

I'm also worried about my space games. If the Blacks aren't as deep then that may be a deal breaker. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,847 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Deleted - has been shown before in this thread. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,367 Valuable Player

If the Rift 2 were planned with sensors, surely for this Rift S they would be best just upgrading the lenses, screens and Touch controllers - wasn't even any need to rename it, just say there are some hardware improvements.

If they sell 1 - 2 million of these Rift S, will those 2 million be peeved off if the Rift 2 comes out and requires sensors?

They are going to stick with the vision tracking - I mean they didn't come out and say that - but it's pretty clear that is the direction they will want to go to keep everything stream line between each of their product line. Aka, the CV2 will be most likely vision tracking too. If they add in that back sensor for it (6 cameras) I am pretty sure it wont really matter anyways - but yea that is the direction they are aiming as far as it keep thing simple and one shot of a plug and play. Plus - the benefit them controlling the over all sensor layout meaning less troubleshooting and over all better experience for the end user.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,582 Volunteer Moderator

Sensors are probably finished, everything going forward will be Insight tracking.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,367 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    snowdog said:
    You COULD argue that the Vive Pro ISN'T a bigger jump when you take the lenses into account. You shouldn't have to take apart a $1200 headset and perform surgery on it to add lenses from the GearVR to make it a decent headset.

Yeah but the Rift-S is no longer a complete package either. The loss of integrated headphones and external sensors means that we need to hack it to make it a decent headset.
    I feel like it will be good enough - but yea - not near as good as the OG CV1 sensors are. For new users it wont matter because they wont be able to compare - but anyone with a CV1 is going to notice a big difference. At the same time - if most games dev keeps this in mind - it should be fine to a point. At the same time - Another sensor on the back for a CV2 should fix this feeling as that will cover a good chunk of the 360 view point later on.

One of the benefits of the Constellation tracking system is that it can also be used with the Insight tracking system due to the IR LEDs on the controllers. Now they COULD be edging towards exclusively using Insight and inside out tracking but their options are certainly open regarding the future. I'm expecting Oculus to add support for adding Constellation tracking to improve the tracking of Insight tbh, I'm surprised that they haven't got that sorted right now.

edited March 20
    Mradr said:
    Zenbane said:
    snowdog said:

Yeah but the Rift-S is no longer a complete package either. The loss of integrated headphones and external sensors means that we need to hack it to make it a decent headset.
    I feel like it will be good enough - but yea - not near as good as the OG CV1 sensors are. For new users it wont matter because they wont be able to compare - but anyone with a CV1 is going to notice a big difference. At the same time - if most games dev keeps this in mind - it should be fine to a point. At the same time - Another sensor on the back for a CV2 should fix this feeling as that will cover a good chunk of the 360 view point later on.

Yep, the ability to use my external sensors are all I need, and the Rift-S is a purchase. Without the external sensors... pants.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    vannagirl said:
    This seems a great gap fit if it uses touch. I trust oculus to deliver great tracking also i feel it will be a worthwhile upgrade until something much more techy comes from oculus.

hopefully it also cuts down godrays and i have psvr the design is rediculously comfy

welcome back!!